The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

56 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It'd silence all those poor devils who move into a village and get upset by the church bells...

Maybe also those who object to parents and children arriving at their Village Primary School, and greeting them at the end of the day.

What strikes me about all of the above examples of those who move to these locations, then latterly complain about the nuisance, is that when they decided to buy their property - all of the examples are of circumstances which were firmly in place before they arrived.  Maybe they should be looking to complain at themselves for not being aware enough to see what was in the locality, prior to making their choice of home.

Julian

Julian

• Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

It's about time that we did the same over here!

It won't happen over here because the people moving in and/or buying second homes are those in charge at one level or another;  middle or upper level civil servants local government officers, members of the legal profession or those who have enough money to buy the foregoing.

A notable case in Cornwall a few years ago was when a senior member of the legal profession, who owns a large house overlooking a creek, which his family use very much as a second home, in which the local inshore fishermen wanted to install a floating pontoon to make landing their catch easier, got it refused.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

A notable case in Cornwall a few years ago was when a senior member of the legal profession, who owns a large house overlooking a creek, which his family use very much as a second home, in which the local inshore fishermen wanted to install a floating pontoon to make landing their catch easier, got it refused.

Permission for the pontoon at Mylor was the one that was granted, despite objections from both the Parish Council and influential 2nd homers

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/11699044.pontoon-plan-approved-despite-objections-by-council-residents-and-oyster-fishermen/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Tankerman said:

It won't happen over here because the people moving in and/or buying second homes are those in charge at one level or another;  middle or upper level civil servants local government officers, members of the legal profession or those who have enough money to buy the foregoing.

it's been going on a long time..

https://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/flotilla-marks-70th-anniversary-on-norfolk-broads-1635998

The owners of the area? Blofield..  The ones the  Blofeld  in James Bond  was named after...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Maybe also those who object to parents and children arriving at their Village Primary School, and greeting them at the end of the day.

What strikes me about all of the above examples of those who move to these locations, then latterly complain about the nuisance, is that when they decided to buy their property - all of the examples are of circumstances which were firmly in place before they arrived.  Maybe they should be looking to complain at themselves for not being aware enough to see what was in the locality, prior to making their choice of home.

Julian

Julian

The problem with schools is that of OFSTED ratings making certain schools more desirable and the ensuing "bussing in" of pupils by mumsies with the sense of a stunned herring who park across driveways and block roads whilst they natter to each other.  Its a very rare child that gets walked to the school gates by their parent!

I've lived near a primary school for 50 years this year (eeek!) and the use of cars to deliver children has only become a problem since the turn of the century...

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

it's been going on a long time..

https://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/flotilla-marks-70th-anniversary-on-norfolk-broads-1635998

The owners of the area? Blofield..  The ones the  Blofeld  in James Bond  was named after...

Blofeld the cat stroker?

’Shurely you don’t expect me to talk’!

’No, mistair Bond, I expect you to die’.

You’re inshane, Blofeld’!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

The problem with schools is that of OFSTED ratings making certain schools more desirable and the ensuing "bussing in" of pupils by mumsies with the sense of a stunned herring who park across driveways and block roads whilst they natter to each other.  Its a very rare child that gets walked to the school gates by their parent!

I've lived near a primary school for 50 years this year (eeek!) and the use of cars to deliver children has only become a problem since the turn of the century...

I can certainly recall it being a problem in the days when I regularly commuted by car, the 80s; double parking, blocking entrances and pedestrian crossings, general insanity!

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Ces nouveaux venus pourraient-ils être les Anglais qui tentent d'échapper au Brexit?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

’Shurely you don’t expect me to talk’!

’No, mistair Bond, I expect you to die’.

Sorry, that's Goldfinger you're quoting there! While the BLT* was working it's way up between Connery's legs. :o

Blofeld's line was "I've been expecting you..."

*BLT in this case being "big laser thingy"

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Permission for the pontoon at Mylor was the one that was granted, despite objections from both the Parish Council and influential 2nd homers

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/11699044.pontoon-plan-approved-despite-objections-by-council-residents-and-oyster-fishermen/

My post isn't in reference to this incident, which I didn't know about, and the creek wasn't Mylor creek. I've also realised that my origin post was a bit ambiguous, to clarify my post, the fishermen wanted the pontoon and the senior legal person who owned the house prevented them from having it.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tankerman said:

My post isn't in reference to this incident, which I didn't know about, and the creek wasn't Mylor creek. I've also realised that my origin post was a bit ambiguous, to clarify my post, the fishermen wanted the pontoon and the senior legal person who owned the house prevented them from having it.

Do you know what Creek it is, as I don't know of any that have been refused as fishing has primary use of the coastal waters. A search of the Cornwall planning site lists no pontoons or landing decks refused in the last 20+ years (1 exception was a boatyard pontoon but that was part of a much larger approvd scheme) 

There are a couple of old wives tales about the Emmets getting permissions refused, but there isn't any proof as the schemes have been approved.

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Do you know what Creek it is, as I don't know of any that have been refused as fishing has primary use of the coastal waters. A search of the Cornwall planning site lists no pontoons or landing decks refused in the last 20+ years (1 exception was a boatyard pontoon but that was part of a much larger approvd scheme) 

There are a couple of old wives tales about the Emmets getting permissions refused, but there isn't any proof as the schemes have been approved.

Hi Dave,

I found it after a search. Time goes quicker as I age and I didn't realise it was so long ago, but it shows that the principle I commented on originally is factual.

Helford Jetty

Conflict has broken out in the village of Helford in Cornwall over a jetty that the fishermen wish to build to make landing their catch easier and more safely. The fishermen wish to build a jetty along the foreshore and a short access road to that they no longer have to struggle with driving along the shore in the cars. The jetty would be built out of local stone and would soon blend into the setting. Plans for the jetty and roadway were approved by Kerrier district council almost two years ago to the satisfaction of local conservation bodies. However A number of Helford property owners, mostly second home owners not from the area who formed the Helford Village Development Society Limited, brought the High Court case against Kerrier council. The limited company had argued on eight grounds that the council’s decision to grant planning permission was flawed and should be quashed. The judge rejected seven of these grounds, but allowed the other.

This fight over the plans for a modern jetty and access road at Helford, near Helston, has been seen as a symbol of the conflict between wealthy second-home owners and locals trying to improve their prospects. The judgment is major blow to fishermen and a huge disappointment to their supporters. Chris Bean, a Helford fisherman who has been trying to get the jetty built for five years, was bitterly disappointed. However the council can withdraw the plans and re-summit them at a later date.

For further information and some quotes on the conflict see : http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/news/HELFORD-RULING-AFFECTS/article-750238-detail/article.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Sorry, that's Goldfinger you're quoting there! While the BLT* was working it's way up between Connery's legs. :o

Blofeld's line was "I've been expecting you..."

*BLT in this case being "big laser thingy"

I'll buy you a delicatessen - in stainless steel!

:laugh:

I found out what that strange line was all about. One of the gangsters in the US prohibition era used to bribe people with a similar phrase. Possibly Al Capone. It virtually means if you are a good boy then I'll set you up with a nice little business (run by the mob obviously).

It was a slight aimed at Kevin McClory who they thought was only bothered about the money. They had to wait until he died before they could reuse the character as he kept claiming copyright.