The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

90p???  I've not bought a daily paper for ages, what a waste of money for a comic! However, the front page of The Star is often worth a chuckle, even if they seem to have sometimes taken over the Expresses weather fixation...

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

90p???  I've not bought a daily paper for ages, what a waste of money for a comic! However, the front page of The Star is often worth a chuckle, even if they seem to have sometimes taken over the Expresses weather fixation...

18 bob just to wrap fish and chips up in, extortionate.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

C24B629E-7F88-4665-8631-4403EF472515.jpeg.b026f7a547011bff8db1678ef3ff697f.jpeg

Very apt!

I've seen this scene repeated many times on the English canal system, when inexperienced boaters (often hirers) have decided to turn back and either misjudged the width of the canal compared to their boat, or not realised that the margins, particularly in rural areas, tend to be shallow.

This one also illustrates the "rudder stuck in the bank" scenario, which tends to make recovery a bit more difficult for the novice, though the rope from the bows is a good idea...

Just looked a bit more closely, the anchor secured to the sternrail could indicate that the crew are more familiar with river navigations!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Conclusive proof that it takes decades and decades for men's "intelligence" to catch up with a women's intuition!

image.png.d9173d67838ece91c3ea78190213fecd.png

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, billbedford said:

...or that women are more susceptible to groupthink and propaganda?

The above post was reported and initially removed but it merits calling out as sexist rubbish. It could be that many of one group or another have been too busy caring or working to get there, you just don't know so please don't come out with crap like that. You can go back on moderation as far as I'm concerned.

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

The above post was reported and initially removed but it merits calling out as sexist rubbish. It could be that many have been too busy caring or working to get there, you just don't know so please don't come out with crap like that. You can go back on moderation as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't notice the sexist element compared to the inference that that those who have had the vaccine (me included) have fallen for some propaganda scam.

• Agree 3

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, 96701 said:

I didn't notice the sexist element compared to the inference that that those who have had the vaccine (me included) have fallen for some propaganda scam.

There were multiple levels of crassness involved ;)

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Not bought a comic in a while then? They're about magazine prices now. :o

I have a feeling since The Ooh Ahh Daily Star was taken over it's been turned into a milder version of The Sport as they don't know what to do with it. The owners Reach already have a tabloid in The Mirror. They are also the owners of those awful local news websites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Reach_plc_titles

I stopped buying the local paper as it went awful and half the stories were "Want to read more? Look at the website". I'd rather not, that's why I just bought the paper.

Only got it for the football and other sources are much better anyway.

• RMweb Gold

My.

It was intended as a cheap joke at the male gender's expense, which I thought you could do but only if you are from the group being made fun of.

I thought it was just funny to interpret the data that way! (With a hint of thought provocation.) 

How about...

"We all know girls are cleverer at school but I didn't know you had to reach 70 before you caught up!"

Kev.

(Although having 'hard data', billbedford does show that you can read anything you want to from facts!)

I had my first jab last Thursday. :) 

I'm still in the under sixty male group but after considering the science and statistics I had no hesitation in getting my first anti-Covid shot at the first opportunity. HOWEVER, that does NOT mean that I'm in favour of the growingly oppressive enforcement of "politically correct" expression in all corners of life. The "correctness"  always seems to slant towards the same pedantic side of the political spectrum. I think we should be free to speak, not just free to think.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Already discussed on the other thread.  A not unusual sort of course tracking pattern for a ship moving away from an anchorage and aligning herself for entering the canal, a coincidence rather than a deliberate willy drawing.  The testicles could easily be her 'swinging' around her anchor according to wind and tide.  I don't know the procedure for picking up the Canal pilot, but if he arrives on a launch she must manoevre into the wind for the pick up.

• Informative/Useful 1