The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

I'm just listening to Stacey Dooley on Radio 2. She seems to have a real problem with some pronunciation. She read a dedication from someone who was "Travellin' up Norf." Obviously "g" at the end of a word and "th" anywhere are a challenge for her.

She also has problems with "t" in a word and "l" at the end, as when she was talking about the "music of the Bea'ews" (Beatles). 

Poor girl - she seems to be suffering a crisis of consonants.

Mind you, that's not all. "Do you know" comes out "Jannah", and "about" is "abah". "Alright" is "awroi'" and "counting down" becomes "cahn'in' dahn".

Could this be Irritable Vowel Syndrome?  

Edited by CameronL
Added a bit and realised it's Stacey Dooley, not Stacey Solomon (still ""Dahn Sarf").
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

2 hours ago, CameronL said:

I'm just listening to Stacey Dooley on Radio 2. She seems to have a real problem with some pronunciation. She read a dedication from someone who was "Travellin' up Norf." Obviously "g" at the end of a word and "th" anywhere are a challenge for her.

She also has problems with "t" in a word and "l" at the end, as when she was talking about the "music of the Bea'ews" (Beatles). 

Mind you, that's not all. "Do you know" comes out "Jannah", and "about" is "abah". "Alright" is "awroi'" and "counting down" becomes "cahn'in' dahn".

Worst offender is the girl currently doing all the sports coverage on the BBC, Alex Scott. She's now doing a lot of other programmes like The One Show. Can't understand a word half the time and I lived in London for a while!

Alright doing "street talk" or having a strong regional accent on a light hearted music programme, but not great when you are trying to describe something that people genuine want to know what is happening.

I'm not expecting the presenters all to have RP, but they should be understandable to the listeners.

Scottish presenters have been used for decades, but you wouldn't get Rab C Nesbitt to read the news! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Worst offender is the girl currently doing all the sports coverage on the BBC, Alex Scott. She's now doing a lot of other programmes like The One Show. Can't understand a word half the time and I lived in London for a while!

Alright doing "street talk" or having a strong regional accent on a light hearted music programme, but not great when you are trying to describe something that people genuine want to know what is happening.

I'm not expecting the presenters all to have RP, but they should be understandable to the listeners.

Scottish presenters have been used for decades, but you wouldn't get Rab C Nesbitt to read the news! 

Alex Scott does seem to be on the TV rather a lot. Like you, the constant lack of the letter g irritates me.

But worst offender? I don't think so. The Home Secretary wins that accolade.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Alex Scott does seem to be on the TV rather a lot. Like you, the constant lack of the letter g irritates me.

But worst offender? I don't think so. The Home Secretary wins that accolade.

Television ubiquity can be very irritating even without linguistic quirks, though. 

Programme planners seem to think anything worth doing deserves over-doing!

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
On 20/11/2021 at 11:32, CameronL said:

Was it just me that noticed that she mispronounced one word as 'sex' at some point during the show? It made the sentence a bit wonky!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, CameronL said:

Lest we get too serious - 

I don't know how he kept a straight face.

All apparently in one take.

How did the camera crew/director etc, manage to keep going?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The man was an absolute genius.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

They got in a German camera crew, and the Gallery was staffed by studio personnel from Radio 4?

Problem solved!

• Funny 8

Or there was about fifty takes that we never saw....  :prankster:

Difference is the actors and comedians back then came from either music hall/stage or live radio. They had to get it right first time. It was also that film and video tape was expensive.

I saw a quote about the Carry On films where Sid James and Kenneth Williams would turn up, do all their parts in the morning in one take and disappear to the pub or the racing. Then do the radio shows in the afternoon and evening. Half the time it was the "non professionals" that held them up. One of the reasons you got the same people in all the films or shows.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, ikks said:

The man was an absolute genius.

Mike

He even used to write scripts for The Two Ronnies. So that they would be judged on merit he submitted them under the pseudonym "Gerald Wiley". He even rejected one of his own in a script conference to hide his identity. 

His scripts included "Four Candles". 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

FB_IMG_1637577318265.jpg

Does that include Australia, where many people (pre-covid) celebrate Christmas in July, because it is the coldest month and most suited for a large hot roast lunch?

• Like 2