The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

They aren't claiming oldest in the world, so they must think there's an older continuous operating railway in the Eastern hemisphere. What might that be then?

• RMweb Premium

Interestingly the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) also claims to have been operating under it's original charter continuously, this time since 1834.

Which begs the question: If a change of ownership doesn't affect the standing (LIRR has had three different owners) then surely the Liverpool & Manchester would qualify, as would the Stockton & Darlington and several other early UK lines that have operated continuously, but under different owners. The original acts of Parliament still stand, do they not?

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

Liverpool and Manchester yes. Still running on it's original formation with just a slight change at either end as it out grew the original stations. But both stations were still in use until the modern era as goods depots. 

The Stockton and Darlington no. The original one was just a colliery railway that went from nowhere to nowhere rather than a proper railway. Any significance is due to the LNER publicity machine I'm afraid.

I daresay I'll get someone from the NRM telling me I'm wrong, but this was the reality of the S&D rather than locomotive hauled passenger trains. Not much difference than say the Middleton Railway which started much earlier.

spacer.png

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

If you are looking for the first passenger carrying railway, there is the Mumbles Railway (Swansea), which opened a regular timetabled service for which passengers paid a fare in 1796, using horse power.  I think the oldest continuously trading railway company still in existence is the Ffestiniog, which although it operated no trains between 1946 and 1954 was still paying bills and collecting rents, so in a commercial sense it was still trading and in existence. 

It is possible to get bogged down in defining a railway, as opposed to a tramroad, plateway, or a rail road.  The latter is exemplified by the Stockton & Darlington, a rail 'roadway' on which any traffic could be run, including privately owned horse drawn vehicles, for a turnpike-like fee, but which also provided it's own locomotives and rolling stock.  It morphed fairly rapidly into a more or less conventional railway shortly afterwards, but in it's original form was open house for anyone who wanted to use it and could afford the fee. 

The first railway in the modern sense that we understand the word would have to be the Liverpool and Manchester; completely locomotive hauled on running lines, all locos and stock owned by the company, and a 'common carrier' obligation imposed on it by it's authorising Act of Parliament.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

As the Johnster implies, it depends on what is considered as a railway.

Wikipedia has a comprehensive section, referring also to wagonways but states that the L&MR opened in 1830 is the first railway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rail_transport_in_Great_Britain

Elsewhere they also have a section on the The Whitstable and Canterbury Railway which also claims to be the first railway, opening in May 1830, before the L&MR in September of that year.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Somebody missed the W key....

Never heard of star ears day then Mick? You stand outside listening for the Big Bang,

if it’s cold you can catch it usually about every 30 mins on the tele if you leave the window open. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, lambiedg said:

Twosday is also palindrome day

22/02/2022

There never seems to be enough time in the week. It would be advantageous if an eighth day could be created. To satisfy those, that have a liking for palindromes, It could be called Yaday. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Your Welsh is improving, H...

I didn't know whether to use Funny or Thanks, but eventually settled for the former.

My "Welsh"* used to be much better when we couldn't get Winter Hill and had to put up with BBC Wales and HTV from Moel Y Parc across the river...

That was in 405 line days, naturally.

* In the "Pardon my French" sense,when stuff like Rygbi and Pobol Y Cwm were put on in place of programmes I wanted to see, and don't mention the Eisteddfod season.....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1