Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

C9 and F1 were all direct drive as well.

And the resolution 240 is for is across the screen. So with PAL roughly 720.

A good test was the test card and the frequency grids. A good beta deck could resolve an extra one over vhs.

Svhs still had terrible colour handling.

Beta is well as well as having 260 to 280 line also had quite a bit higher colour resolution.

• RMweb Premium
On 10/02/2022 at 18:29, melmerby said:

I think this has been on before, I spotted it on TV a couple of days ago, it was the village that was being featured but they showed the shop front.

muff.jpg.474ad0d8c6b8c56d5c6dce11243ca30f.jpg

Is that in Brazil?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2022 at 15:58, The Johnster said:

I reckoned 8-track to be a better system than the Phillips cassette, which was originally developed as a dictation medium and pushed to it's performance limitations (some, me included, would say beyond them as hi-fi media).  8-track was superior in cars as it required less attention from the driver, and was more robust.  But the smaller size of the cassettes made them a winner, and a worldbeater for many years.

Back in the 80s and 90s, I was using VHS cassettes as music media; better sound quality than the Phillips cassettes because the speed across the heads was greater, Nicam stereo, and you could get several albums on one cassette.  With the VHS player connected to the aux input on the hi-fi amp, it sounded pretty good, but it was for some reason very difficult to explain something blindingly obvious to me to people up the pub, who found it hard to comprehend that a video format could be used simply for audio recording and playback.

I used to record the Andy Kershaw radio programme onto VHS tapes largely because the whole show could easily fit onto one tape. Then I could pick and choose which tracks to put onto a C90 tape so I could listen to them in the van. Strangely enough, whenever anybody borrowed the van I found the tape ejected. Strange.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, newbryford said:

Is that in Brazil?

When I see that, I keep thinking 1960s Jazz combos.

Muff Barber and his Hirsute Fluff Jazz Band?

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Northern  Powergrid  sent out compensation  cheques with customer numbers in the amount payable box. One chap due over 2 trillion pounds... ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/feb/13/northern-powergrid-accidentally-compensation-cheques-trillions-of-pounds-storm-arwen

I wonder how many kept quiet and headed straight to the bank to pay theirs in. :lol:

It also exposes how ludicrously long some "customer numbers" have become. In this case, sufficiently so for every person on the planet to have several thousand accounts with Northern Powergrid...

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I wonder how many kept quiet and headed straight to the bank to pay theirs in. :lol:

It also exposes how ludicrously long some "customer numbers" have become. In this case, sufficiently so for every person on the planet to have several thousand accounts with Northern Powergrid...

John

"An energy company has thanked “honest” customers who did not try to cash compensation cheques for trillions of pounds sent out in error."

LOL, if you had seriously tried to cash a cheque for trillions of pounds the word to describe it would not be "dishonest" but "moronic".

2 hours ago, rocor said:

"An energy company has thanked “honest” customers who did not try to cash compensation cheques for trillions of pounds sent out in error."

LOL, if you had seriously tried to cash a cheque for trillions of pounds the word to describe it would not be "dishonest" but "moronic".

I'd check their refund policy, if they're one of those companies that when they owe you money say that it will be refunded in 7-10 days etc, then it only seems fair to bank their cheque and repay it under the same terms :D

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1