The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

At the risk of dragging this thread off politically (please don't)

car.jpg.75fa060a40c7d674f670055ad79c8f82.jpg

Rather like this:

https://www.ecowatch.com/ammonia-fuel-shipping-industry-2645192985.html

Power ship's engines from Ammonia, totally carbon free.

But producing Ammonia accounts for roughly the same amount of CO2 as would be saved from using the ammonia in ship's engines!

Scientists are hoping to find a way of producing ammonia without producing CO2 emissions.:lol:

This however makes interesting reading:

https://smarterbusiness.co.uk/blogs/uk-renewable-energy-percentage-2018/

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On the subject of Diesel engines; correct me if I’m wrong (which is likely) but I’m sure the original Diesel engine was never initially designed for fossil fuels and won a Gran Prix by running on Peanut oil! 
Only after Rudolf Diesel died suspiciously on a ship did the engine run on fossil fuel.

so with this information we could return diesels back to the peanut oil days instead of deleting them from as a power source.

i would quite like to see a Class 40 running on peanut oil :laugh:

Edited by PannierTanker14
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, PannierTanker14 said:

On the subject of Diesel engines; correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure the original Diesel engine was never designed for fossil fuels and won a Gran Prix by running on Peanut oil! 
Only after Rudolf Diesel died suspiciously on a ship did the engine run on fossil fuel.

so with this information we could return diesels back to the peanut oil days instead of deleting them from as a power source.

i would quite like to see a Class 40 running on peanut oil.

I had an older diesel some yeras ago, it ran quite happily on vegatable oil, but once vegatable oil became a similar price to fossil fuel there was no advantage. Did help it pass the MOT on emissions though:good_mini:

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, PannierTanker14 said:

On the subject of Diesel engines; correct me if I’m wrong (which is likely) but I’m sure the original Diesel engine was never initially designed for fossil fuels and won a Gran Prix by running on Peanut oil! 

i would quite like to see a Class 40 running on peanut oil :laugh:

Unfortunately burning Peanut Oil still creates CO2:scratchhead:

Nice smell though!

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, billbedford said:

...but only as much as would have been produce if the peanuts had been eaten. 

But wouldn't the human digestive system create lots of methane from it?

Methane is many times worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas, hence the problem of emissions from herbivorous farm animals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Unfortunately burning Peanut Oil still creates CO2:scratchhead:

Nice smell though!

The original engine was intended to burn pulverised coal using air-blast injection.  The air-blast injection was continued with fuel oil, much to dismay of that generation of marine engineers who had to keep the beasts running.  Incidentally, the engines that Diesel eventually got to run departed from his design thermodynamic cycle (can't remember the details offhand) and his patents may have thus been invalid - perhaps not unrelated being pursued by creditors and to his disappearance.

Peterfgf

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

But wouldn't the human digestive system create lots of methane from it?

Methane is many times worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas, hence the problem of emissions from herbivorous farm animals.

All biological methane is produced by decomposing plant material, and that has been part of the natural cycle of life since plants first started to use photosynthesis. 

Methane that has been taken from geological deposits may, or may not, be a problem. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Youtube auto subtitles . .

Building a what Colin? ;) 

BA20519D-BC77-4BAA-8B90-A0B435789E43.jpeg.8e65941f2914bc3e7c8c0dddd142c72a.jpeg

Had similar a few weeks ago

IMG-20200220-WA0015.jpg.b5b5362a34531a2a97508dee09f302c9.jpg

The 2 guys running this channel being from Leeds and Manchester both with appropriate strong local accents.

Dale

• Funny 5

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

One of my mates thought that MacGyver was a made up thing on The Simpsons. He didn't know it was a real TV programme until finding it on daytime TV recently.

Jason

The ultimate is the use of footage from the Italian Job, complete with chicken theft!