RMweb

Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

Here in Canada, I've just had someone's confirmation of postal redirection delivered to me by mistake. I'd smile at the irony if I hadn't just spent a couple of hundred dollars on this myself. :-/

• RMweb Premium

Just sent Hatton's a message of praise - I ordered a Heljan Baby Deltic (headcode discs, no frost grilles - £69) from them at 1705 yesterday and it was delivered by Yodel at 1430 this afternoon!  I've always had good service from them but never that quick.

• Like 2

As  a  long  standing   Hattons  customer  I can  confirm  that  the  service  being  reprted  whilst it is  brilliant is  NOT  unusual.

I place many multi item orders  with  them  and  without  exception  they  are  always delivered, well packed  next  day.

• Like 2

As  a  long  standing   Hattons  customer  I can  confirm  that  the  service  being  reprted  whilst it is  brilliant is  NOT  unusual.

I place many multi item orders  with  them  and  without  exception  they  are  always delivered, well packed  next  day.

Same here - my post #509 was trying to re-dress the balance a little.

I find it's now 24-48 hours between order placement and dispatch. I've had a quick check through and the last 7 orders with Hattons all took over 24 hours to be packed. My latest order was placed on Sunday evening, received the email confirming it was packed today at 16:50. Not terrible, but not what you'd call impressive.

edit - Grammar 

Edited by knapper

• RMweb Premium

I find it's now 24-48 hours between order placement and dispatch. I've had a quick check through and the last 7 orders with Hattons all took over 24 hours to be packed. My latest order was placed on Sunday evening, received the email confirming it was packed today at 16:50. Not terrible, but not what you'd call impressive.

edit - Grammar 

My last two orders arrived very quickly, the last within 30 hours, and that was placed on a Sunday. I expect things might be a bit slower due to Christmas.

edit - Grammar 

I work in retail and every one now days seem to want things yesterday and even after a couple of days are asking if its in. What is the hurry.I Remember when you were told to allow 21 days for delivery when you ordered something. Ebay is the same they win the item one day and asking the next were it is.  There is more I hope

Edited by chris bales

I work in retail and every one now days seem to want things yesterday and even after a couple of days are asking if its in. What is the hurry.I Remember when you were told to allow 21 days for delivery when you ordered something. Ebay is the same they win the item one day and asking the next were it is.  There is more I hope

I don't think anyone really wants to go back to those sort of delays do they? The point is that getting orders fulfilled and dispatched quickly and efficiently is good customer service. The bar has been set very high these days, but it's hattons who claim "dispatch usually within 24 hours of order being processed". In my case, they don't.  

I don't think anyone really wants to go back to those sort of delays do they? The point is that getting orders fulfilled and dispatched quickly and efficiently is good customer service. The bar has been set very high these days, but it's hattons who claim "dispatch usually within 24 hours of order being processed". In my case, they don't.  

Your right my friend they don't. And I don't but I don't think a couple or thee days wait is the end of the world

My two previous orders,  one last week and one two weeks before that, took 5 business days to arrive here (I am located in Canada) great service IMO, parcels from the US generally take 2-3 weeks no matter the time of year ! 

Edited by thebritfarmer

My two previous orders,  one last week and one two weeks before that, took 5 business days to arrive here (I am located in Canada) great service IMO, parcels from the US generally take 2-3 weeks no matter the time of year ! 

Wow, that's a looooooong time considering Windsor's practically in the US anyway!! ;) :sarcastic:

I wish I could get things in 5 business days, takes at least 10 business days to Western Canada.

Sadly - for Hattons as much as for me - more Yodel tales of woe here......

Order placed last weekend. Usual Hattons efficiency in getting the order processed, packed and out the door. Unfortunately now Yodel seem to have lost the package as their tracking information still says "Awaiting Collection" (i.e. from Hattons). All past experiences of Yodel have been bad for me. Equally as bad have been City Link. On this occasion these were the only two 'standard' delivery options for me - kind of Hobson's choice! Yodel's excuse for the lack of information/delivery?..... 'they have had a sudden increase in the use of their services' ! If I failed to 'deliver' in my job just because there was a 'sudden increase in the use of my services', I would be out of a job very quickly! 

I feel sorry for Hattons in all this, they have been informative and helpful throughout but this sort of incompetence from the couriers must cost them a fortune, if only in time taken for them to call Yodel, send me additional emails etc etc.

Around here (and I know other people have other experiences in their own areas) Royal Mail cannot be faulted. They have never lost anything, never broken anything, never left a parcel out in the rain so that the contents were ruined (both Yodel and City Link have done that to me) and usually meet or exceed the stated delivery times.

As a contrast to this frustrating situation, I placed a similarly sized (i.e. weight) order with KMRC on Wednesday afternoon at about 2pm. It qualified for free standard delivery, using Royal Mail. Less than 24 hours after placing this order it arrived at my house! I wasn't in at the time so they took it to my local Post Office from where I was able to collect it later on. Maybe I am 'spoilt' by such rapid order processing, packing and delivery as this and shouldn't expect it all the time, but I must say that Royal Mail (and KMRC with their equally rapid turnaround) do seem to achieve this level of service most of the time.

I have in the past made a specific request with Hattons that Royal Mail are used and to their credit they have suggested that they will try to accommodate any such requests in the future but its too late for the current situation!

Edited by leavesontheline
  • Like 1

Sadly - for Hattons as much as for me - more Yodel tales of woe here......

Order placed last weekend. Usual Hattons efficiency in getting the order processed, packed and out the door. Unfortunately now Yodel seem to have lost the package as their tracking information still says "Awaiting Collection" (i.e. from Hattons). All past experiences of Yodel have been bad for me. Equally as bad have been City Link. On this occasion these were the only two 'standard' delivery options for me - kind of Hobson's choice! Yodel's excuse for the lack of information/delivery?..... 'they have had a sudden increase in the use of their services' ! If I failed to 'deliver' in my job just because there was a 'sudden increase in the use of my services', I would be out of a job very quickly! 

I feel sorry for Hattons in all this, they have been informative and helpful throughout but this sort of incompetence from the couriers must cost them a fortune, if only in time taken for them to call Yodel, send me additional emails etc etc.

Around here (and I know other people have other experiences in their own areas) Royal Mail cannot be faulted. They have never lost anything, never broken anything, never left a parcel out in the rain so that the contents were ruined (both Yodel and City Link have done that to me) and usually meet or exceed the stated delivery times.

As a contrast to this frustrating situation, I placed a similarly sized (i.e. weight) order with KMRC on Wednesday afternoon at about 2pm. It qualified for free standard delivery, using Royal Mail. Less than 24 hours after placing this order it arrived at my house! I wasn't in at the time so they took it to my local Post Office from where I was able to collect it later on. Maybe I am 'spoilt' by such rapid order processing, packing and delivery as this and shouldn't expect it all the time, but I must say that Royal Mail (and KMRC with their equally rapid turnaround) do seem to achieve this level of service most of the time.

I have in the past made a specific request with Hattons that Royal Mail are used and to their credit they have suggested that they will try to accommodate any such requests in the future but its too late for the current situation!

Again I always request Royal mail only in the special instructions box as well as ticking the royal mail post option  Not had a problem as yet. touch wood

Top and bottom of it is that Yodel are the cheapest and therefore Hattons bottom line looks a lot better. All companies seek the best deal  with couriers and often change them. I know of only one company that have stuck with one company for more that 5 years and they have been using UPS for years. All the other suppliers that deliver to me have change at least twice or more.

Two days ago I ordered from Hattons on line.

The parcel arrived this morning. I immediately knew it was from Hattons, acres of brown paper!

Absolutely super service, & a very happy bunny!

At least it won't be novelty socks, a bl**dy awful Dying Scotsman mug, or something else that I have to say 'Oh, lovely, just what I wanted'

A rake of GWR van stock is far more preferable to a Christmas jumper!

I know it's a cop out ordering your own Xmas pressie, but it saves having yet more tat.

Well done Hattons, yet again, brilliant service.

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

Again I always request Royal mail only in the special instructions box as well as ticking the royal mail post option Not had a problem as yet. touch wood

Afraid I gave up using Hattons, unless something very very cheap occurs like the SECR C or is solely available from them like the Metrovick, as they often change my order to Yodel despite requesting Royal Mail and regardless of what the order value is for it takes them days to actually pick and pack the order. I can order from Kernow or Model Railways Direct for example on a Thursday evening and expect postie at the door Saturday morning, Hattons in comparison usually do not even pick the items for packing until Tuesday or Wednesday the following week and the parcel then seems to disappear into a vacuum for a week, perhaps it is a left over of the war of the roses having to send a parcel from red lancashire to white yorkshire.

Edited by Butler Henderson