Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

This topic has been discussed in depth on another forum but basically Hattons have been unable to honor pre order prices following Bachmann's price rises and their requirement that dealers can only discount up to 15% for the first 12 weeks after release. However as Hattons were aware of this perhaps they should have removed their pre order price guarantee from their website.

Gareth

I recollect receiving an email from them a couple of weeks ago stating that they would be. Amongst other things they are offering decoder fitting on their stand.

I'll see if I've still got the email...

Edit: link to their Facebook page. See the entry dated 27 Feb. You do not need an account to view the page.

https://www.facebook.com/hattonsmodelcentre

Edited by Tase

I too cancelled all of my pre-orders for similar reasons, but also based on Hatton's inability to collate despatched of items that arrived within a day or so of each other. In the weeks before Christmas I had 4 packages despatched within 2 days so copped for the additional postage, one item of which was falsely overcharged at the over 2Kg rate when it was 1.09Kg.

On the other hand, I finally took delivery this week of a pre-order that was picked and charged for in full over 3 months ago!

I have switched my allegiance to a more local model shop which is also offering a pre-ordering service, initially at listed manufacturer's prices but discounted to be reasonably comparable to prices charged by the box-shifters when supplies arrived. Also a pre-order is treated as a reservation not a commitment.

More interesting is the fact that the recent glut of Hornby deliveries seems to have gone to other outlets than the box-shifters, another reason for reconsidering source of supply.

I've only ever bought 1 lot of items from Hatton's so far, but for the pre-orders I will keep using them as I just can't pre-order locally.

If the price changes - oh well, still going to be less than I'd pay locally IF they got any stock.

They are box movers for sure, but with knowledge <tick>

Gerry C

edit : I've got 4 locos on pre-order right now if the B company ever release them ....... grr

Edited by altone
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have a few locos on preorder from Hattons, I too received the email about the price increase, in my case a Class 25, up from £80 to £93. On perusing the Hattons website I happened to notice the LL 47 which I also have on preorder (for £104) is now showing at £101. Presumably when it arrives, I will be charged the £101 or will they be "honouring" the higher preorder price?

• RMweb Premium

But if it dropped you wouldn't have a problem with them charging you the lower price, works both ways.

You are totally missing the point. Hattons promise to not raise prices AND to lower them if they drop. 

Hattons broke their promise not to raise prices, had the price have gone down and they lowered the price they would not have broken their promise.

Plenty of other smaller model shops out there that sell the same items at the same prices as hattons and in some cases sell cheaper (colletts model shop-Exmouth) shop else where if you are not happy...support the smaller shops ..i do :good:

• Like 2

Plenty of other smaller model shops out there that sell the same items at the same prices as hattons and in some cases sell cheaper (colletts model shop-Exmouth) shop else where if you are not happy...support the smaller shops ..i do :good:

We are a small shop and do are best to match the big boys prices. I know at the moment we have several items in that are cheaper than Hattons. Before i opened my own model shop, I would always go to my local shop(s) first and if i couldn't get what i wanted then I would go to Hattons.  

• Like 4

The dynamics of selling RTR is definitely changing......Having bought many thousands worth of stock from Hattons over 25 years ( mainly back in their 'glory days' of discounting high quality stuff from 1995 - 2012 when they were streets ahead, price-wise), I now rarely buy any big ticket locos from them, as their prices no longer have any significant 'edge' over say, a dozen or more other model shops who do mail order in the UK. This is not necessarily Hatton's fault, but part of the much discussed price rises emanating from the big suppliers and their trading conditions.

I still make regular purchases from them , but usually only when I see something of perceived value from the pre-loved section (which itself can be eye-watering in price sometimes!) Hatton's service though, remains good.

Guess its all just a reflection of supply and demand.

John

• Like 3

The dynamics of selling RTR is definitely changing......Having bought many thousands worth of stock from Hattons over 25 years ( mainly back in their 'glory days' of discounting high quality stuff from 1995 - 2012 when they were streets ahead, price-wise), I now rarely buy any big ticket locos from them, as their prices no longer have any significant 'edge' over say, a dozen or more other model shops who do mail order in the UK. This is not necessarily Hatton's fault, but part of the much discussed price rises emanating from the big suppliers and their trading conditions.

I still make regular purchases from them , but usually only when I see something of perceived value from the pre-loved section (which itself can be eye-watering in price sometimes!) Hatton's service though, remains good.

Hattons often price certain new releases lower for just a few days before upping the price after a set period in time. Those initial few days (or weeks) are a great time for discounted items: I just purchased a new in stock blue 03 for 63 pounds, which was significantly less than the green liveried versions. This item has now disappeared from the website so I'm feeling quite glad that I took the plunge early! Now that I'm aware of this tactic, I tend not to stall with my purchases of newly released items that I particularly have my eye on. As to why the blue version and not the green was discounted is a bit of a head scratcher though.

Their second hand stuff is (I find) more reasonably priced than say Rails and they often have quite hard to find items. I think I've put more cash their way in this manner (versus buying new) since Bachmann's recent hike.

The above makes shopping much more time consuming now: Rails, Kernow etc. are very competitive, so if I'm after something specific will check other places as well as Hattons. For a general browse, I usually start with Hattons then if I see something that catches my eye will price check it elsewhere.

Usually find Hattons prices can often be beaten if you look around. Far too many people assume they are the cheapest without checking. To go back a good few years to when the retooled Farish minerals were new with a list price of £4.75 and typically available for £4.25 Hattons were flogging them for £5! To come up to date I note they sold out of one of the new Farish 31s whilst Rails have them at the same price post free so effectively £4 cheaper.

Yes, agreed.

Current case in point is that over the weekend I picked up the weathered addition Freightliner Class 70 from MRD with what is for me a saving of nearly 40 GBP (inc. VAT rebate) compared to Hattons.  How times have changed!

Edited by Johnfromoz

• RMweb Premium

I have a few locos on preorder from Hattons, I too received the email about the price increase, in my case a Class 25, up from £80 to £93. On perusing the Hattons website I happened to notice the LL 47 which I also have on preorder (for £104) is now showing at £101. Presumably when it arrives, I will be charged the £101 or will they be "honouring" the higher preorder price?

If the price drops they usually charge the lower price.

I did e-mail Hattons and asked the question, they did reply (quickly too) that it would be charged at the lower price.

• Like 2

You may recall that after Bachmann announced that the prices would rise by an average of 20% Hattons offered to take pre-orders at the original price provided that the orders were sent before their deadline.

I ordered an E4 in Southern Green last year at an agreed price of £76.46. Hattons have now told me that they have processed my order for £97.46 including post and packing. This was part of an order for 8 items.

Hattons is under a contractual obligation to honour the original agreement as we had reached agreement on the fundamental terms of the contract. I hope that Hattons will reconsider their decision. If they do not I will take the matter up with my credit card company as the total value of the order is over £100.

I would also have preferred it if they would despatch the LBSC E4 and the Southern E4 together if they had arrived at the same time.

I am confident that this will be resolved amicably as I have received excellent service from Hattons since I first bought a rake of Hornby-Dublo Pullmans from them in summer 1966.

• Like 1

I had my E4 on order with them from the day Bachmann announced they where going to do one and just before Hatton's got them in i was sent an email saying that the price had gone up.

I phoned them and asked why they where not going to honor the per order price and was told that as Bachmann had raised the price there was nothing they could do about it, so in the end i cancelled my order and have left it at that.

Hatton's need to stop saying they will honor the per order prices, when they do not.

So i think you will end up paying the new price for you E4.

The credit card company may not take up my case with the E4. Although it was part of a large order the price is below the company's threshold of £100. Rails is undercutting Hattons by £4 selling the E4 for £93.46 with free postage so I may persuade Hattons to do the same.

Another part of my order was a Graham Farish East Asiatic Company at an agreed price of £127.46 which is above the credit card company's threshold. Hattons have now increased the price to £135.96 on my account.

The original prices were not listed in error. They were put on after Bachmann had increased its prices by an average of 20% and the offers were made to encourage customers to make a firm order at the time and to entice business away from Hattons' competitors.

• RMweb Gold

Modelmania Bristol is usually not far off Hatton's prices - and I'd buy there anyway to ensure they ARE there

i stopped using Hattons years ago and support the small retailers who match Hattons and in many cases are cheaper. I work in Warrington and used to use Penketh but as that is now closed and moved elsewhere I use other independent retailers (was in Sawyer Models last week and they we're cheaper than Hattons on several items, going to visit Widnes this week and see what they have in stock). It pays to look around first rather than just going to the big boys.

i stopped using Hattons years ago and support the small retailers who match Hattons and in many cases are cheaper. I work in Warrington and used to use Penketh but as that is now closed and moved elsewhere I use other independent retailers (was in Sawyer Models last week and they we're cheaper than Hattons on several items, going to visit Widnes this week and see what they have in stock). It pays to look around first rather than just going to the big boys.

Railway Junction in Orford Lane Warrington is also worth a look. I bought a new discounted Hornby loco there a couple of weeks ago, He stocks quite a range for a small shop, some decent s/hand also.

http://www.railwayjunction.co.uk/

Brit15

Regarding my order for a Bachmann E4 0-6-2T with Hattons at a price of £76.46, for which they are now charging £93.46 plus £4 postage, my credit card company will make an altered amount claim against E-Hattons when they receive the paperwork from me. There is no minimum limit for this.

I hope this helps others in a similar position.