The future of loco kit building

Guest oldlugger

Fifty or so years ago, scratchbuilding was in metal or card and shellac.  Did those modellers regard plastikard, when it appeared, as somehow for girls?  If your time is spent developing a CAD design which you can then run off ad infinitum, is that really so different from building a master and casting it in whitemetal or resin?   If you cast or print a one piece wagon is that somehow less of a model than one cast or printed in several pieces and glued or soldered together?

It's all modelling in one form or another and we all have our own preferred materials and ways of doing things.  Only the results can determine which is better and they are usually far more a function of the skill and application of the modeller than any underlying advantage of the medium or method.

I spent a happy hour last evening putting new handrails on a Hornby E2 I'm repainting and detailing. I can see (or more accurately not see) why older modellers want to avoid that! It was something I'd never done in 4mm and the knobs are quite remarkably small. It's too easy just to say that kits can fill gaps, as making them requires skill that not everyone has. I've never been confident about soldering white metal.

I also superglued my thumbnail to the flesh beneath. I hate that...

I note that many young men these days act more like girls and focus on baking cakes and having the right labels on their clothes. I am getting old, I guess! :senile:

But that doesn't stop them being excellent modellers: just look at Ozzyo: he's posted a picture of himself wearing stockings - definitely a girlish trait - and a picture of his cooking. And he makes superb models! Not sure if he has designer labels in the clothes though.......

If you cast or print a one piece wagon is that somehow less of a model than one cast or printed in several pieces and glued or soldered together?

No issue with it being modelling - but one piece is not a "kit".

a desperate vain attempt to bring back on-topic "future of kit building"

I have been watching this with interest as I am still building kits and will do untill I'm 6ft under the ground. I have been building kits for years now I started on the airfix/ Dapol and others all were plastic kits when I was still at school then I started on white metal and brass kits and not looked back I enjoy the building a loco or a wagon. And now we have young members at Heywood and they are building the Dapol coach kit and it's them we need to keep the hobby going. One even wants to build a djh duchess he is saving his money to get one and he is only 14. He doesn't like the Hornby duchess in his words " I want to build my own and be happy I built it "

Mark

Mais je pense toujours que les jeunes hommes sont plus comme les filles!

Hitler ou Staline? Hitler ne écrasé chatons le dimanche. Staline écrasé chatons tout le temps! Ils ont tous deux mangé des bébés. Je me souviens de Staline. Il a été terrifiant!

Hi

And whats wrong with baking cakes? I quite enjoy the challenge of baking something new, even more so if I can make it sugar free so I can actually eat it.

Cheers

Paul

I totally agree. Although I do not get much chance to do cakes or desserts. As for sugar free, my wife would never allow it :O :o

Fifty or so years ago, scratchbuilding was in metal or card and shellac.  Did those modellers regard plastikard, when it appeared, as somehow for girls?  If your time is spent developing a CAD design which you can then run off ad infinitum, is that really so different from building a master and casting it in whitemetal or resin?   If you cast or print a one piece wagon is that somehow less of a model than one cast or printed in several pieces and glued or soldered together?

It's all modelling in one form or another and we all have our own preferred materials and ways of doing things.  Only the results can determine which is better and they are usually far more a function of the skill and application of the modeller than any underlying advantage of the medium or method.

Plasticard was taken on quite readily, as it is a good medium to work in for certain things. I would like the skill to produce 3D models on the computer, but at the moment 3D printing is not good enough. What I have seen if it came with part of a kit would be binned as rubbish. If you made lost wax or whitemetal casting like it you would be berated for poor quality. But people seem to be blind to how poor 3D printing is because it is done with a computer so there for is perfect.

I am somewhat saddened by the profusion of 3D printed models that appear. The focus seems now to be more towards the computer efficient rather than making things with your HANDS. I note that many young men these days act more like girls and focus on baking cakes and having the right labels on their clothes. I am getting old, I guess! :senile:

I agree with the remark about making things with ones hands, seems to be a dirty word now (hand built) But totally disagree about the baking there is nothing wrong with baking and other skills, they are all of use in life. As for the right clothes some people love to give free advertising and wear over priced clothes from Chinese factories. Last holiday we were in the states and shopping for clothes with the other half and I was surprised at the all American advertising for some of their well known brand, that were all made abroad.

• RMweb Premium

I would like the skill to produce 3D models on the computer, but at the moment 3D printing is not good enough. What I have seen if it came with part of a kit would be binned as rubbish. If you made lost wax or whitemetal casting like it you would be berated for poor quality. But people seem to be blind to how poor 3D printing is because it is done with a computer so there for is perfect.

Hi

I completely agree the surface finish for me is not acceptable and to say its alright from normal viewing distance doesn't make it any better. When 3D printing comes of age then it will be a great addition to my toolkit but until then its not for me.

Cheers

Paul

Mais je pense toujours que les jeunes hommes sont plus comme les filles!

Hitler ou Staline? Hitler ne écrasé chatons le dimanche. Staline écrasé chatons tout le temps! Ils ont tous deux mangé des bébés. Je me souviens de Staline. Il a été terrifiant!

Estou certo de que a mudança é tudo para melhor, aqui há um monte de homens que são incapazes de muitas coisas becaus fo a atitude maco.

Hitler e Stalin foram infelizmente foram dois lunáticos que aconteceu a ser em torno de, ao mesmo tempo

What I have seen if it came with part of a kit would be binned as rubbish. If you made lost wax or whitemetal casting like it you would be berated for poor quality.

In 4mm (I know you model in 7mm, Peter), the axleboxes, springs and buffer housings I've had in Bill Bedford kits are all of perfectly acceptable quality.  That is about its limitation at the moment, though - larger items still suffer from texture issues ('stepping', I think they call it).

Like a lot of these technologies, though, I think it will get better in time.

What about these desktop cutters, though?  If you draw up parts on one of those, have them cut by machine and then assemble them, is that still making things by hand?  It's a terribly subjective debate which ever way you look at it.

In 4mm (I know you model in 7mm, Peter), the axleboxes, springs and buffer housings I've had in Bill Bedford kits are all of perfectly acceptable quality.  That is about it's limitation at the moment, though - larger items still suffer from texture issues ('stepping', I think they call it).

Like a lot of these technologies, though, I think it will get better in time.

What about these desktop cutters, though?  If you draw up parts on one of those, have them cut by machine and then assemble them, is that still making things by hand?  It's a terribly subjective debate which ever way you look at it.

I know it will be better in time, and then it will be worth its salt. For me it is not good enough yet. Also it needs to find its limits as casting has done.

• RMweb Premium

I have been watching this with interest as I am still building kits and will do untill I'm 6ft under the ground. I have been building kits for years now I started on the airfix/ Dapol and others all were plastic kits when I was still at school then I started on white metal and brass kits and not looked back I enjoy the building a loco or a wagon. And now we have young members at Heywood and they are building the Dapol coach kit and it's them we need to keep the hobby going. One even wants to build a djh duchess he is saving his money to get one and he is only 14. He doesn't like the Hornby duchess in his words " I want to build my own and be happy I built it "

Mark

Well said that man!

• RMweb Premium

The thing about 3D printing is not where it is now but where it wil go in the future. We are seeing rapid advances in surface control for engineering components produced by 3D printing and there is a lot of money going into improving the technology as the potential for it in engineering is immense. That will feed through to more consumer orientated equipment and my belief is that within a relatively short time we will see 3D printers which more than meet the demands of modellers. True, for mass produced models or volume production short of mass production it is unlikely to become the technology of choice but for low volume niche products and "print on demand" products where demand may be in single figures or just plain single one off then I really believe 3D printing has the potential to fundamentally change modelling.

jjb1970

I understand that 3D printing will happen and the items will be first class and much cheaper, I have a jeweller friend who designs bespoke items on the computer, prints his own wax masters and after a bit of fettling gets them cast. Nothing wrong about the advances in 3D printing and I admire those who then take the raw model and then develop it into a finished article, modelling yes, kit building ?

This is very much off thread unless the 3D printing is producing a kit of parts. The title is  The future of loco kit building   I believe kit building is a bit different to either finishing a pre-made item or altering a RTR model to represent a different item

• RMweb Premium

True, and I don't disagree, but I believe 3D locomotives will still be kits. Some models may use a single piece shell but there will still be detail parts to adorn the shell, plus the chasis, motor/mechanism etc not to mention painting and finishing. So I don't think 3D printing will alter the fact that modelling will still require a lot of skill, it'll rather just expand the possibilities for most modellers.

Archived