Hi Mike and also Duncan, can I suggest RETIREMENT, whoooops sorry guys, I'm 65 in a few weeks and really GLAD I was made redundant at 60 and could afford to take an early retirement.

I'm still knackered from last years mis hap but I'm happy with an hour or two each day. 

All the best Mike and I hope you catch up with Work soon and can get back to normal, but at least you have the work and don't have to sit at home worrying about how your going to pay the bills.

38x days for me Andy...and I'm not near 60 yet !  (not even near 55 like our fearless leader).  I will still have to get a job, but it's form will change, as I won't have to work as much to have a decent income, and I want the time more than the money.  At the least, I will be working a much less stressful job, as I won't be working as a shipboard engineer.  I have an offer from the local café to be the dish guy :)  (they are about 3 km from here by back road, so it would be nice and close, and hours would be fairly well what I am after, and it would be a people job, not a mechanical job).  There are other options that I would like to investigate, but some of them I am being quiet about until I am done with the RCN.

James

• Like 5

38x days for me Andy...and I'm not near 60 yet !  (not even near 55 like our fearless leader).  I will still have to get a job, but it's form will change, as I won't have to work as much to have a decent income, and I want the time more than the money.  At the least, I will be working a much less stressful job, as I won't be working as a shipboard engineer.  I have an offer from the local café to be the dish guy :)  (they are about 3 km from here by back road, so it would be nice and close, and hours would be fairly well what I am after, and it would be a people job, not a mechanical job).  There are other options that I would like to investigate, but some of them I am being quiet about until I am done with the RCN.

James

Morning James, good luck with all that matey. enjoy it, you only get one shot, (I think).

No signs of Mike yet?

Hi guys,

All the best for your retirement James, its a pipe dream for me I'm afraid. I'm not too bothered as long as I am able to keep working I will.

I'll be in the den tonight so there 'may' be some pic's later!

Did anyone have trouble logging into the site this morning? I had an alarm call for Jeff set up for 07.20 but I just could not get in, sorry Jeff I did try - honest! :angel:

Quick lunchtime update from last night, sorry not much time for detail...

post-5296-0-97567500-1426771201_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-94452700-1426771208_thumb.jpg

The Pick-up goods leaves the Down refuge siding and heads for Garsdale, its next stop.

post-5296-0-09519600-1426771217_thumb.jpg

Std 5 No. 73158 Hauls unfitted mineral wagons  northbound

post-5296-0-80952600-1426771225_thumb.jpg

B1 No. 61008 'Kudu' is on a similar southbound duty

post-5296-0-28981600-1426771235_thumb.jpg

Std 4 Tank No. 80136 is on a southbound unfitted goods and will be recessed shortly

post-5296-0-64188900-1426771243_thumb.jpg

An un-rebuilt and a rebuilt Scot storm past Dent with a southbound parcels

post-5296-0-50106200-1426771251_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the 2-6-4T recessed into the siding to allow the passage of the parcels working.

That's it guys

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 16

Mike, I'm sure you've covered it back some time ago, but what have you used for point rodding please?

Hi Freebs,

I have used the new Wills products (SS89 = SS90) but I'm not entirely happy with them and I am compiling a list of faults and bad design! I'll summarise for you and others here:

1: They advise glueing the pieces end to end but at 1mm square! Well you can guess how effective that is, I tried placing some styrene strip underneath which works better BUT now I have noticed they expand quite dramatically resulting in a wave effect so it may be best not glueing them at all.

2: The sprue provided gives you at least 2/3 waste in plastic terms so why not provide a spigot at the base which could be used to locate them on the baseboard. I cut short lengths and glued them on, I then drilled holes in the baseboard to locate them.

3: The crank pieces are extremely fiddly but I don't think there is much you can do about that.

4: You don't get any long plain lengths in order to pass under tracks - hence the white 1mm sq. rodding which can be seen in the station siding.

4: The illustrations are quite poor in my opinion and if you buy the rodding only pack (SS90) you don't get any!

I will leave things as they are for a few weeks and tweak bits if I can, if all else fails it will be ripped up and I'll use brass rod! Rant over.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Freebs,

I have used the new Wills products (SS89 = SS90) but I'm not entirely happy with them and I am compiling a list of faults and bad design! I'll summarise for you and others here:

1: They advise glueing the pieces end to end but at 1mm square! Well you can guess how effective that is, I tried placing some styrene strip underneath which works better BUT now I have noticed they expand quite dramatically resulting in a wave effect so it may be best not glueing them at all.

2: The sprue provided gives you at least 2/3 waste in plastic terms so why not provide a spigot at the base which could be used to locate them on the baseboard. I cut short lengths and glued them on, I then drilled holes in the baseboard to locate them.

3: The crank pieces are extremely fiddly but I don't think there is much you can do about that.

4: You don't get any long plain lengths in order to pass under tracks - hence the white 1mm sq. rodding which can be seen in the station siding.

4: The illustrations are quite poor in my opinion and if you buy the rodding only pack (SS90) you don't get any!

I will leave things as they are for a few weeks and tweak bits if I can, if all else fails it will be ripped up and I'll use brass rod! Rant over.

Hi Mike

looks like you have come to the same conculsion as I did when I use the Wills point roding, see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87205-sheffield-exchange-problem-with-back-scene-idea/?p=1793007

Hi Mike

looks like you have come to the same conculsion as I did when I use the Wills point roding, see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87205-sheffield-exchange-problem-with-back-scene-idea/?p=1793007

Hi Clive,

Wish I had seen that beforehand, like you say a little more thought on the design would have helped. The most annoying 'point' to me is the waste left over. I know I said I would give it a while but I do have my doubts and with ripping it up in mind that may just be the answer in the end!

I've seen it at shows, and it seem rather over scale as well as bendy under Show lighting caused by the heat.

I'm going for Point Motors, (Dummy Peco ones).

Allright for some, I'm working to photo's matey! Hahaha :jester:

Hi all,

Something tells me that the rumours of my loosing my mojo has got out...

post-5296-0-95152700-1426939167_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-78722100-1426939177_thumb.jpg

There are more people in 4mm Dent land than in real life! A great night was had by all last night with seven of us all enjoying the splendour that is model railways, long may it continue. I knew three three were coming but it was a surprise when another lot turned up but great fun was had by all, cheers guys. Note the duckers -n- divers amongst them!

post-5296-0-08820800-1426939134_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-78391800-1426939148_thumb.jpg

First off the blocks was Mark's tribute to the S&C, he especially brought along Black 5 44781 which of course played a significant part at the last rights of steam power on BR when it took part in the 15 Guinea Special on August 11, 1968 - As an aside I actually started my apprenticeship with BR the very next day!

The black 5 is still turning heads as she strolls through Dent with an empty mineral working for Carlisle.

post-5296-0-73469400-1426939193_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-99194400-1426939204_thumb.jpg

Workhorse of the old LMS was the 4F 0-6-0 and again Mark has his model taking the strain of another empties working northbound.

post-5296-0-18636900-1426939214_thumb.jpg

John getting to grips with the strain of operating both lines on his own, he should get a medal as he kept everyone happy on the night, well done mate.

post-5296-0-04867300-1426939225_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-62204600-1426939243_thumb.jpg

Class 37 37514 (I think-eyes going!) again pulls a rake of 16t mineral empties, mixed era I know. Not sure if this loco belonged to Mark or Andy but it looks good nonetheless.

to be continued...

post-5296-0-82551400-1426939161_thumb.jpg

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

All the best for your retirement James, its a pipe dream for me I'm afraid. I'm not too bothered as long as I am able to keep working I will.

I'll be in the den tonight so there 'may' be some pic's later!

Did anyone have trouble logging into the site this morning? I had an alarm call for Jeff set up for 07.20 but I just could not get in, sorry Jeff I did try - honest! :angel:

A likely tale!

Mike, your layout just gets better and better. Jason said he was very impressed, so that speaks volumes. I'm almost tempted to give up before I start as I'll probably be letting the side down in comparison.

The last photo in your last post is fantastic. Love the angled signpost - is it like that in reality? (can't remember, it's been over 10 years since I was near Dent)

Jeff

• Like 1

A likely tale!

Mike, your layout just gets better and better. Jason said he was very impressed, so that speaks volumes. I'm almost tempted to give up before I start as I'll probably be letting the side down in comparison.

The last photo in your last post is fantastic. Love the angled signpost - is it like that in reality? (can't remember, it's been over 10 years since I was near Dent)

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Course it is! I got my protractor out especially to ensure I modelled the absolute angle precisely! Oh you don't believe me again eh! Quite right too! Wait till you see the crane on the platform from last night! I least I think it will be in some, mistakes dear boy!

AND I'm not having that excuse for giving up, not after you have decimated a rain forest to get where you are matey!

• Like 1

The gathering looked like a lot of fun Mike, you are indeed lucky to have such a bunch of like minded friends! Hope that mojo is well and truly found again! Look what a short break did for Al (Bakewell) so it isn't always a bad thing!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

I should have added: the view from the other direction, looking towards that bridge, is very commonly seen, but not this direction - in my case from many hours looking at pictures of David Jenkinsons 'Garsdale Road' (was too young to see it in the flesh, but acquired the mags it originally appeared in several years later, quite by chance).

• Like 3

Afternoon Young Mike, Didn't see you at Nottingham today so I guess you were PLAYING TRAINS again.

Layout looks superb mate and what a great gang you had around, it must cost you a small fortune in coffee and biscuits, ahahha, or do they have to bring a flask and their own biscuits, ahhahah

Part two....delayed

Another selections of shots from last night

post-5296-0-49833100-1426955408_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-38449600-1426955416_thumb.jpg

BRC&W/Crompton Class 33' 33033 on more empties, either Mark or Andy provided this one

post-5296-0-70305000-1426955424_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-02021400-1426955431_thumb.jpg

9F 2-10-0 92233 on the steel working

post-5296-0-38786900-1426955442_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-82982500-1426955448_thumb.jpg

BR Sulzer Type 2 No. D5132, another of Mark's loco's

post-5296-0-43510800-1426955458_thumb.jpg

8F No. 48739 this time on an 'Up' fitted freight

post-5296-0-81313800-1426955469_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-47609200-1426955478_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-66368300-1426955487_thumb.jpg

Unrebuilt  Patriot No. 45503 shows her disgust and being demoted to goods duties and rattles her 'down' empties through Dent

That's it for now!

• Like 14

Roll on tomorrow night, aye chaps, its Photos night.

Mike I'm going to the Nottingham Show tomorrow if your there well have a catch up.

Hi Andy,

As you probably know I gave Nottingham a miss this year. My knee was still giving me jip pressing the clutch, we'll meet again as the song goes!

Hi guys,

Apologies for the poor images, blame Samsung Galaxy not me! I can't find a 'sports' mode setting so perhaps the Japanese all stay still when being photographed? On top of that the thing DECIDED to update and it all looks totally different now. I hate technology!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Andy,

As you probably know I gave Nottingham a miss this year. My knee was still giving me jip pressing the clutch, we'll meet again as the song goes!

RIGHT DESSISION Mate, all those steps up and down was really hard work on my Knee and Hip.