Mike, I have a question. You have done all the wonderful research to achieve your lovely model of Dent, but looking at the last photo, how did that Lambretta make it up Lea Yeat Brow? :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

1. It came down from Garsdale

2. It was dropped off by train

3. Modellers licence

You choose my good man......Hahahaha :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Fancy building one of these mate?

A 5 WAY POINT, :O

attachicon.gifNottinghan 2015 Mar 21st 058.JPG

When do you want it?

Oh sorry I'm away that day and every one after. Hahaha :jester:  :jester: Nice work though, but is it prototypical? 

Hey Mike, You like wiring control panels don't you.

How about this for a simple oval Layout?

attachicon.gifNottinghan 2015 Mar 21st 091.JPG

attachicon.gifNottinghan 2015 Mar 21st 092.JPG

attachicon.gifNottinghan 2015 Mar 21st 093.JPG

He needs help!

When do you want it?

Oh sorry I'm away that day and every one after. Hahaha :jester:  :jester: Nice work though, but is it prototypical? 

He needs help!

The guy operating the Layout wasn't sure, but I couldn't speak to its builder, BUT on the plus side, it seemed to work well.

Serious HELP I think.

Andy, what was the purpose of that oval 'thing'? Was it to show various electronic gizmo's do you know?

It was to produce a Blocking system that would work the Signals and bring the trains to a slow stop and slow acceleration all in normal DC Analog control.

• RMweb Premium

There is something very wrong with that N gauge track, one of the routes could never work (not even worth me saying which as it is blatantly obvious). So, in summary, clever but stupid :)

• RMweb Gold

Andy, what was the purpose of that oval 'thing'? Was it to show various electronic gizmo's do you know?

That demonstrates (to the extreme) the MERG BC3 block controller. It's all analogue and each BC3 controls a block and the appropriate signals. Lots of trains can be let loose on the layout and they all travel around coming to a stand at signals until the following block is clear. Essentially the operator acts as signalman doing things like setting signals in stations and setting routes which are then also all obeyed. The normal block operations are all taken care of automatically. But yes... the electrics are sort of very visible, which is the intention as they are meant to be the star of that particular layout.

It's quite a clever way to get prototypical block operations running on a layout while allowing you to then set signals to allow you to do your manual shunting work without having to worry about the rest of the trains running into each other as they'll only go to the limit of their block until the one in front is cleared.

If you're interested there's information on the public MERG pages at http://www.merg.org.uk/merg_resources/superbloc.php. That covers the operation of the BC3 controller, but the examples given are a little less complex than the on in the photo!

Edited by Anotheran

• RMweb Gold

That demonstrates (to the extreme) the MERG BC3 block controller. It's all analogue and each BC3 controls a block and the appropriate signals. Lots of trains can be let loose on the layout and they all travel around coming to a stand at signals until the following block is clear. Essentially the operator acts as signalman doing things like setting signals in stations and setting routes which are then also all obeyed. The normal block operations are all taken care of automatically. But yes... the electrics are sort of very visible, which is the intention as they are meant to be the star of that particular layout.

It's quite a clever way to get prototypical block operations running on a layout while allowing you to then set signals to allow you to do your manual shunting work without having to worry about the rest of the trains running into each other as they'll only go to the limit of their block until the one in front is cleared.

If you're interested there's information on the public MERG pages at http://www.merg.org.uk/merg_resources/superbloc.php. That covers the operation of the BC3 controller, but the examples given are a little less complex than the on in the photo!

So it's an 'autodriver' while you're a proper Signalman - that has its attractions! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

So it's an 'autodriver' while you're a proper Signalman - that has its attractions! 

Indeed.

It is quite clever and definitely something that I might have considered had I not previously made the decision to re-start the hobby using DCC rather than analogue.

The prime down side to DCC for me is the need to identify each item of motive power specifically in order to control it so there's no opportunity to throw in the random factor unless you start involving a computer which is something that I'm loathe to do.

Apologies Mike for drifting off topic.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Interesting stuff today, and nothing is really 'off topic' especially if its railway related, so fire away!

Today was a disaster for me, on Friday night when my visitors were around some inexplicable fault developed on the central fiddleyard route which is served by both up and down lines. So today I tried to sort it out and have been trying ever since and I still have no idea what is wrong with it, so almost a whole day wasted and I'll have to carry on next time. Don't you just love this hobby!?

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

Interesting stuff today, and nothing is really 'off topic' especially if its railway related, so fire away!

Today was a disaster for me, on Friday night when my visitors were around some inexplicable fault developed on the central fiddleyard route which is served by both up and down lines. So today I tried to sort it out and have been trying ever since and I still have no idea what is wrong with it, so almost a whole day wasted and I'll have to carry on next time. Don't you just love this hobby!?

Hi Mike

It's the back to backs shorting some where.

It's the point motor at the other end.

It's the switch that you installed on the control panel that you never use, some how it has been changed.

It's a wagon wheel sitting on the isolating break shorting two sections, could be on an adjacent siding.

It is a lose wire in the control panel.

See I have had similar problems. :rtfm: :sarcastichand:

• Like 3

There is something very wrong with that N gauge track, one of the routes could never work (not even worth me saying which as it is blatantly obvious). So, in summary, clever but stupid :)

Jason, if you look at category 8  (http://www.bronx-terminal.com/?cat=8  ), about the middle of the photos show the real solution to it.  There is a pair of removable bits of rail that go OVER the middle of another point...so yes, it does work, even if it "shouldn't".  It's as close to a UK shunting layout as you will see in North America, I haven't had the chance to see it in person, unfortunately.  Tim has had some...real life...problems which has resulted in a huge gap between expectations of progress and actual progress.

James

• RMweb Premium

Building it is one thing, drawing it up in Templot is another!!

Did such things really exist??

Was it drawn up on a template (Templot or elsewhere) or did the builder get confused and start building on a plan for a wire-core tree?

Hi Mike

It's the back to backs shorting some where.

It's the point motor at the other end.

It's the switch that you installed on the control panel that you never use, some how it has been changed.

It's a wagon wheel sitting on the isolating break shorting two sections, could be on an adjacent siding.

It is a lose wire in the control panel.

See I have had similar problems. :rtfm: :sarcastichand:

Hi Clive,

Checked and double checked!

The problem lies in the fact its bi-directional I'm sure. There are 6 routes for the 'Up' and 6 routes for the 'Down' with a central route for changing over. All the routes are simple straight sections of Peco contained in this board without any points anywhere. However using the 25 way 'D' connectors as I do I don't have 26 connections with which to wire this normally so have 'piggy-backed' an earth from an adjacent source. Now there is nothing wrong in doing that and it has worked fine until now and I'm baffled as to the reason why its failed. To compound matters the next board which is exactly the same works perfectly! So its a 5ft length of straight track which is not working and if I connect a new earth it works so this rules out a short.