westerhamstation

• RMweb Gold

That really, really needs a WOW button.

There's a few of those photos where you'd be hard pressed to distinguish it from the real thing.

Just don't leave it out in the sunshine too long Adrian, or it'll grow even quicker.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The brambles look like they have been made out of left over hanging basket liner....

Your first pictures look like something from the shower plughole!!

Great they way you turned that into very realistic brambles. Nice job.

Edit for typos

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 1

Now there's an idea!  ........

Your first pictures look like something from the shower plughole!!

Great they way you turned that into very realistic brambles. Nice job.

Edit for typos

........................................................................                    ....................................    thinking about that, there's not many of us have enough "thatch" left to block the plughole ......   :boast:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am a lineman for the county (Kent)
And I drive the main road
Searchin' in the sun for another overload
I hear you singin' in the wire
I can hear you through the whine
And the Westerham lineman is still on the line.

Telegraph poles for Chevening Halt have been delivered and planted, Ratio poles with footholds cut off and with the insulators turned upside down, straining wires  and a representation of an adjuster added made from florists wire. Five lines of fine cotton for the lines, and some cut down net curtain with some twine glued on, to take the phone lines under the bridge. ( you wait when Mrs W Station finds out about the one short net curtain.) Some pictures of progress so far. 

PS. for some reason the photos are not displaying in the correct order.

post-17489-0-68546000-1437157161_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-34486700-1437157178_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-01276100-1437157196_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-00642500-1437157217_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-63145100-1437157235_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-96510700-1437157250_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-18584700-1437157262_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-40997700-1437157510_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-02225000-1437157530_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-94045600-1437157614_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

See, I knew you'd be up the pole eventually, it was only a matter of time...

Nice job, very effective. How many more have you got to plant between Westerham and Chevening?

Al.

I only just found this thread. When I saw the article in magazine I emailed Ben to say I was impressed.

I remember playing on the trackbed as a child(well nearly a teenager). My parents moved to Sevenoaks in the mid 60s, we lived just up from Riverhead on the A25. The Sevenaoks bypass was being built at the time, but we used to walk over the Chevening. I remember the bridge and the lane next to the trees on the north side of the bridge. There was no sign of the old halt, but I think we must have cycled down to Brasted station, as I remember the old station and have a couple of photos taken with my then brand new Instamatic camera. The old station at Westerham I think had already been demolished by the time I was looking around there.

I remember one of my friends at school was planning a model of Westerham in P4. P4 was just starting to get publicity, but I am not sure the layout ever got built. I seem to remember my friend was the son of the no2 to the vicar at Westerham.

I mentioned the new bypass, the junction with the A25 was massive, so I think there were already plans to link to the then not built M25. I certainly remember seeing footings to the north, before it was officially approved(memory not photos ). Given the route the Westerham branch line took, there would not have been room to keep it and build the motorway, so the line was doomed.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Sequins, pearls and bamboo. I new some of that old glam rock stuff would come in handy one day.

Chevening Halt needs 4 lights to guide any passengers up and down the stairs and onto the platform, the originals that used to illuminate these areas were just telegraph poles with a lamp fastened to the side of the pole.

I have used a bamboo barbeque skewer, reduced in diameter by turning it down in the cordless drill with some sandpaper. The lamp and shade were made from a pearl bead and a sequin threaded onto some florists wire. the little bit at the top of the shade was some insulation from a bit of flex all secured with some superglue. A capping from a piece of card was made for the top of the pole. Some pictures of progress so far. Now were did I put that Marc Bolan LP.

Apologies I have just looked and the pictures are out of sequence.

post-17489-0-71516100-1437838399_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-78854100-1437838411_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-70543800-1437838423_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-28411600-1437838437_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-02465300-1437838451_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-17395800-1437838462_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-69865800-1437838477_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-81427900-1437838496_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-57297200-1437838511_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-33356800-1437838524_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-56071800-1437838542_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-95959100-1437838553_thumb.jpg

Edited by westerhamstation
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian

I took inspiration and ordered a load of Texan size coffee stirrers (because everything is bigger in Texas) and made a bridge last weekend.

You wouldn't believe the amount of PVA I got through! :)

post-14192-0-51725700-1438028457.jpg

My flocking needs more work though...

• Like 6

It's Ok Adrian.......

Hi Adrian

I took inspiration and ordered a load of Texan size coffee stirrers (because everything is bigger in Texas) and made a bridge last weekend.

attachicon.gifimage1.JPG

there will be lots of people flocking to help   ....   and there's plenty there already   ....   unless there is some other flocking going on, that I have missed in the picture  ....    :jester:  :jester:

oops - It's that hat and coat time again   .......

Sequins, pearls and bamboo. I new some of that old glam rock stuff would come in handy one day.

Chevening Halt needs 4 lights to guide any passengers up and down the stairs and onto the platform, the originals that used to illuminate these areas were just telegraph poles with a lamp fastened to the side of the pole.

I have used a bamboo barbeque skewer, reduced in diameter by turning it down in the cordless drill with some sandpaper. The lamp and shade were made from a pearl bead and a sequin threaded onto some florists wire. the little bit at the top of the shade was some insulation from a bit of flex all secured with some superglue. A capping from a piece of card was made for the top of the pole. Some pictures of progress so far. Now were did I put that Marc Bolan LP.

Apologies I have just looked and the pictures are out of sequence.

Just get's better and better Adrian, if your down this way, visiting Westerrham, you can finish off DP, for me.

• RMweb Gold

I used some of those beads to make the lights on Santa Barbara. They are really useful being available in so many different shapes and sizes. I took my other half with me so I wasnt quite so embarrassed looking through them in Hobbycraft!!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian

attachicon.gifimage1.JPG

Crikey how big is your craft knife???

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to drive back from Reigate to Norfolk, with a diversion to Westerham for an all stations trip to Dunton Green taking photographs of the line as it is today. I'm also going to try to walk along the surviving stretch between Westerham and the motorway with the permission of the landowner.

The good news is that a contract for my book about the line is about to be signed. The sad news is that it will only cover the closure and preservation periods. I'd been happily writing away and discovered that I was heading towards a 200,000 word epic. That would, unfortunately, have pushed the book into a price bracket that would have severely limited its sales, to the point of being uneconomic. Having said that, though, the 1950-65 period is probably the most interesting in the line's history though it probably won't appeal much to those who want to know which engine worked the 2.43 on Easter Sunday 1945. But for those who want to know how and why lines such as Westerham were closed and why the preservation scheme failed, it will be an eye-opener. It will come with a CD-ROM which will include reproductions of the important BR and Ministry of Transport documents of the period.

My work on the earlier period won't be wasted though - there's at least a couple of magazine articles to be had from it and I am also thinking of producing a strictly-limited edition of the complete thing for Kent Libraries and the National Railway Museum so that future researchers will have access to it.

• Like 3

I'm about to drive back from Reigate to Norfolk, with a diversion to Westerham for an all stations trip to Dunton Green taking photographs of the line as it is today. I'm also going to try to walk along the surviving stretch between Westerham and the motorway with the permission of the landowner.

Don't try and drive down the south part of Combe Bank Drive if you only have a car, it really is bad, you will probably bottom out and it is not easy to turn around. Enter from the Pilgrims way.

Combe%20Bank%20drive_zpspba5yznx.jpg

• Like 1

Don't try and drive down the south part of Combe Bank Drive if you only have a car, it really is bad, you will probably bottom out and it is not easy to turn around. Enter from the Pilgrims way.

Thank you for the warning. Noted! It looks as bad as Combe Bank Cutting used to be.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The good news is that a contract for my book about the line is about to be signed. The sad news is that it will only cover the closure and preservation periods. I'd been happily writing away and discovered that I was heading towards a 200,000 word epic. That would, unfortunately, have pushed the book into a price bracket that would have severely limited its sales, to the point of being uneconomic. Having said that, though, the 1950-65 period is probably the most interesting in the line's history though it probably won't appeal much to those who want to know which engine worked the 2.43 on Easter Sunday 1945. But for those who want to know how and why lines such as Westerham were closed and why the preservation scheme failed, it will be an eye-opener. It will come with a CD-ROM which will include reproductions of the important BR and Ministry of Transport documents of the period.

My work on the earlier period won't be wasted though - there's at least a couple of magazine articles to be had from it and I am also thinking of producing a strictly-limited edition of the complete thing for Kent Libraries and the National Railway Museum so that future researchers will have access to it.

Hi Ron, best of luck with the book, I will be looking forward to it. Hope you enjoy your trip along the route of the line, a picture of how it was today at Chevening Halt with the sun out. all the best Adrian

post-17489-0-43569900-1439136035_thumb.jpg

Edited by westerhamstation
  • Like 15

Hi Ron, best of luck with the book, I will be looking forward to it. Hope you enjoy your trip along the route of the line, a picture of how it was today at Chevening Halt with the sun out. all the best Adrian

Sadly I had to postpone the photographic trip. The M25 was in a particularly bad state yesterday afternoon and I didn't want to risk it getting worse. Unfortunately I'm finding driving tiring enough at the moment without coping with traffic jams.