Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

Excellent work on the signals mate. It never ceases to amaze me how you can work with such intricate small parts. If that's was me I would end up with an illuminated thumb rather than signal!!

Thanks for the info on the stone work the other night. Shall be ordering the required sheets in the very near future.

All the best

Marcus

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Al. I would say to turn the brightness down a tad though. The oil lamps were rather dim back in the day.

Cheers Cav, they're actually not that bright in reality now I've applied the black paint - i had to turn off my computer monitors and the main room light to take the last set of photos otherwise the camera wouldn't pick the light up.

Nice work, Al. Where did you get the electrickery bits from? This is another idea to add to Steve Hewitt's fibre optic method of illuminating semaphore signals.

Hi Jonathan, I actually bought the LEDs and resistors from Wickness Models ( https://www.wicknessmodels.co.uk/) but loads of places sell them. The thin enamalled wire was from RS Components, I think, I've had it for ages.

I did consider the fibre optic method, but it actually looked more fiddly than doing it this way.

Al.

The lighted signal is brilliant. It's one of those series of shots that have me looking at the short, stubby things that stick out of my hands and wonder if I'd ever be able to work with something so small. One day...

:-)

• RMweb Gold

Al,

You know I dislike thread where someone goes, 'look wot I dun', and there are ten replies that say, 'Wow! with nothing else to add.  However, this is ore than an exception.  The thought behind it and the work and its execution are just brilliant.  It does look the part.  Fortunately I am a long way away from doing signals, and my soldering skills would have to improve before I could do this anyway.

Don't forget to keep having fun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great work Al! Bet you can't wait to get them installed and have a running session?

I'm still building signals (very slowly) and you have lit the fuse to the firework under my rear end mate!

Regards Shaun

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This evening I tackled the double signal, adding the lighting using the LEDs as I've done on the two single signals.

As a first step I drilled the base and soldered on a length of brass tube to act as the support and to positively locate the signal in the baseboard, and also to provide access for the operating mechanism.

post-17302-0-93962900-1446336601_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-19698900-1446336604_thumb.jpg

Then I cleaned off the lamp brackets with a file, and then tinned them up:

post-17302-0-01424700-1446336607_thumb.jpg

and then soldered on the LEDs:

post-17302-0-31967800-1446336609_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-35248000-1446336611_thumb.jpg

I still need to paint the lamps, and the wire, but first I'll test them.

When they're all done I'll take some photos of them on the layout with the lamps working.

Once I've done that, here's the next couple of projects:

post-17302-0-33162300-1446336613_thumb.jpg

I've got some fibre-optic on order for the ground signals, as there isn't room for the LEDs.

That should keep me quiet for a bit.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 5

Once I've done that, here's the next couple of projects:

attachicon.giftwin-signal007.jpg

I've got some fibre-optic on order for the ground signals, as there isn't room for the LEDs.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Hi again,

You might already be familiar with it, but Shaun aka Sasquatch does an interesting blog on working ground signals and he uses bulbs.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1263/entry-13366-working-ground-signals/

They might not be as fine as the pieces you have but here might be something useful there,

Tony.

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Hi again,

You might already be familiar with it, but Shaun aka Sasquatch does an interesting blog on working ground signals and he uses bulbs.

They might not be as fine as the pieces you have but here might be something useful there,

Tony.

Hi Guys.

The bulbs I use are becoming very difficult to obtain. What it involves is drilling out the plastic/white metal lamps to accommodate them.

If anything I'm taking a leaf out of Als book and converting to LEDs!

The fiber optic idea is great!  I tried it years ago and found that a 45% joint where the lamp is located helps channel the light!

Good luck with getting those LMS ground signals to work Al. I tried it with two LNER ones and ended scratch building!

Then again you're considerably more dexterous and accomplished than myself, so I look forward to seeing how you get on. 

Shaun AKA squatch!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With regards to fibre-optics, I found many years ago when I was wee, that if you angle the end of the fibre and stand it upright, you get a bleed of light, that is probably good enought for a ground signal.

My BR/NER dod in the garden is lit with a 12v kitchen cupboard LED replacement bulb, with 200Ohms in series (so it has about 9v across the bulb) and gives off about the right level of light. I can take a photo of it tonight so you can get the feel of how bright the dods should be.

Andy G

• Like 5

post-17302-0-33162300-1446336613_thumb.j

What a Wiz. you are Al  !

WIZARD1.jpg

Hi Guys.

The bulbs I use are becoming very difficult to obtain. What it involves is drilling out the plastic/white metal lamps to accommodate them.

If anything I'm taking a leaf out of Als book and converting to LEDs!

The fiber optic idea is great!  I tried it years ago and found that a 45% joint where the lamp is located helps channel the light!

Good luck with getting those LMS ground signals to work Al. I tried it with two LNER ones and ended scratch building!

Then again you're considerably more dexterous and accomplished than myself, so I look forward to seeing how you get on. 

Shaun AKA squatch!

Oops!

BTW. When I said "they might not be as fine as, etc" I was talking of the different constructional materials, not the quality of the build. (blush smiley)

Anyway, just as well you picked up on it, Shaun.

Memo to self, when you don't know what you are talking about shut it! lol

Tony.

• RMweb Gold

Oops!

BTW. When I said "they might not be as fine as, etc" I was talking of the different constructional materials, not the quality of the build. (blush smiley)

Anyway, just as well you picked up on it, Shaun.

Memo to self, when you don't know what you are talking about shut it! lol

Tony.

No worries Tony, I knew what you meant.

The MSE ground signals that I've bought don't really lend themselves to the same treatment as Shaun's scratchbuilt ones, as will become clear later.

Al.

Al, that signal is just superb - now can't wait for the lesson on the ground signals!

Thanks for sharing again (and for being brave enough to post the picture of your daughters Halloween outfit design!).

Kind regards,

Jock.