Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

I'm rather hoping when I finally work out how to wire up my buildings so the whole lot doesn't blow I can use the auxiliary outputs on my Duette to power them.  With a rheostat in series I should be able to dim the lights...

Hi mate, I think that should be fine. I've forgotten most of my electrical theory, but I suspect the controller output (as Jason suggested using) is expecting to see an inductive load across it, (i.e. the motor of a locomotive) not a resistive one as the LEDs are, and I know there are differences. The auxiliary output should be fine though.

• RMweb Gold

This evening, as promised, I continued with the tree.

We left it last night having covered it in a thick layer of PVA glue, to try and disguise the three pieces of cable it's made from.

This morning, before I went to work, I added some more PVA:

post-17302-0-82323200-1394660269_thumb.jpg

These shots show how the PVA had dried when I came home:

post-17302-0-88145300-1394660271_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-47116600-1394660276_thumb.jpg

I then added a further coating of PVA, before I made my evening meal, and also added an extra branch lower down the trunk:

post-17302-0-07513600-1394660279_thumb.jpg

By the time I'd finished and washed up, it looked like this:

post-17302-0-31674100-1394660281_thumb.jpg

The PVA is still white in colour where it's thick, but it's dry to the touch.

I then spent some time stripping the insulation off every core, and sorting out the individual strands of cable into smaller branches and twigs:

post-17302-0-28733700-1394660283_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-58827000-1394660381_thumb.jpg

Here's what it looks like after two coats of Humbrol Dark Earth (No.29) from a rattle can:

post-17302-0-38238900-1394660285_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-01073800-1394660288_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-29527100-1394660290_thumb.jpg

I think as a first attempt that's not too bad. It needs weathering, and maybe some foliage - although I'm tempted to leave it bare.

I'm going to try another one tomorrow and hopefully refine and improve the process.

Honest opinions please, does this method work for you, or do you think I should use DAS or something to coat the cables with?

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 5

Hi Al

With regard to the method you are familiar with mine and what works for me.

I find that leaving the sleeving on prevents the trunk or thicker branches from being bent especially if more than one is involved, if this is removed I think it is easier to shape and also prevents that step from sleeved to bare wire being so obvious, if wanting a bare tree I feel it is necessary to avoid that sort thing showing. By all means use Das or some other flexible filler and I think it will improve the appearance no end.

The smaller branches look absolutely fine for a bare tree though as does the general shape.

I look forward to your MkII version.

Best of luck

Hi Al

I mean the outer sheath of the 8 core cable as this is the one with the most stiffness, the smaller ones will remain fairly flexible but to be honest I prefer to remove the lot so everything stays exactly where I want it. It usually means that more wire is required then to get the thickness but I like that as it means more branches but of course the thickness can be made up with your chosen filler if you prefer, 

Though I went for lots of wires to get a feature tree I would be just as happy producing a wood on expanding foam such as John de Frayssinets 'Cliffhangar', which I think is brilliant.

Edited by aberdare
  • Like 1

Initially I would have said all the plastic, but after trying the wilkinson garden wire, I was happy to keep the plastic sheath on, But I did use DAS to cover some transitions. I agree for the smaller branches you are best to go bare wire. It's horses for courses, and as Aberdare has a single feature tree, it was worth the extra work. It all depends how many trees you plan to make, and whether they will be different trees or a bunch of the same type. In groups you can be more lax. In rows or as individuals the extra work is worthwhile. If you want a bare or almost bare tree I think it is worth the extra work. But I do think for your first attempt you have got the essentials, some of my early trials left a lot to be desired, and several have been done and redone as time goes on.

I would bend that single branch that goes straight up though. Plants radiate out like dampened spagetti, as each branch fights for the available light. Trees are only lopsided from age, from damage, from proximity to something that limits or stills the light. Even when several trees are close by each other they have a habit to form like a single tree or shrub, each branch after it own equal share of the available light and room.

Edit=On mark 2 unless copying one of the trees that doe have noticeable twists I would try to hide the individual cables more.Best results are usually obtained from look at say unto 6 picture of the species you are interested in studying. You then tend to notice the common features.. 

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Very impressed. I can not offer any advice on the method of making the tree, but from the overall shape, I might suggest just adding a little more weight to the trunk and maybe making it a little off centre. It does look a little straight.

I only offer this as a bit of possible fine tuning to a lovely piece of work, and as a gesture of positive criticism. I feel criticism is generally worth giving to things that are already really good, and it is only my own view, and it may not fit the feel you want from the tree. If it is growing against a wall then it would have to have a straight trunk to fit its surroundings, if it is free standing, then perhaps it could be affected by the elements and the sun, and make it more irregular.

As always, your work is wonderful to see, and the many photos (and videos) explaining your methods are always an inspiration.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

I think you've done a great job there Al and with a bit of fine tuning as the others have suggested, you have a masterpiece in the making.

I'm trying to picture it with leaves, and feel it might look a bit threadbare - might it need some more branches?

That is looking great. I prefer to use heather and seamoss myself as the heather looks like a mini tree already with exquisit texture and colour. Sea moss you have to work on a bit. Wire ones work better probably for bare trees though as the transition from heather to seamoss isnt the smoothest. Heres the large one I did on Outon Road

post-6894-0-80772300-1394705423_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Is there no end to your ingenuity?

Al - I know nothing about building trees(!) however the one thing I do read from those who make a living out of such things is the consistent message that real tree trunks and branches are actually GREY not BROWN(!) With your intuitive eye for colour/weathering I'm sure you'll cotton on to this sooner rather than later (maybe you already have?) but thought I'd just share that with you ;) .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That is looking great. I prefer to use heather and seamoss myself as the heather looks like a mini tree already with exquisit texture and colour. Sea moss you have to work on a bit. Wire ones work better probably for bare trees though as the transition from heather to seamoss isnt the smoothest. Heres the large one I did on Outon Road

attachicon.gif2012-01-09 21.36.31.jpg

Wow Cav, that's a stonking tree, mate, brilliant!

I haven't got to the point of trying foliage yet, so any and all options are open.

Cheers,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Is there no end to your ingenuity?

Al - I know nothing about building trees(!) however the one thing I do read from those who make a living out of such things is the consistent message that real tree trunks and branches are actually GREY not BROWN(!) With your intuitive eye for colour/weathering I'm sure you'll cotton on to this sooner rather than later (maybe you already have?) but thought I'd just share that with you ;) .

Cheers Robert,

Yes, I just grabbed the first thing I have to hand to cover over the distracting multi-coloured wires, to get an idea of what it would look like.

I will be adding greys and greens and blacks (or darker browns) to make it look more tree-like.

• Like 1

attachicon.gif2012-01-09 21.36.31.jpg

The beauty of Seamoss is that you can also grow it yourself, this was something I considered before going for a more bare tree look.

Lots of options for you now Al.

• RMweb Gold

Well I've spent some of lunchtime grabbing some quick snaps for inspiration, my office is nicely situated for tree related modelling ;)

I took this one this morning - hence the dark foggy appearance!

post-17302-0-47232300-1394719336_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-23261100-1394719343_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-50416700-1394719357_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-47809200-1394719367_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-03740600-1394719370_thumb.jpg

I want to model all these types - the close growing ones will provide a nice backdrop for the goods yard, and the big ones for more solitary use.

There is one iconic tree which stands on its own above the station at Bakewell, it appears in lots of photos of the period, although it's gone now:

You can see it in the far right of this photo

post-17302-0-81808600-1394719882_thumb.jpg

Copyright Disused Stations Website / M Hobday

and central here:

post-17302-0-96317300-1394719871_thumb.jpg

Copyright Disused Stations Website / E R Morten

I definitely need to model that one...

Al.

• Like 5

Never mind the tree, what's going on with the stage set to the right in the top picture?  A great big ornate wall with arches and all and behind it there's a little lean to holding it up!

Edited by C&WR

• RMweb Gold

Never mind the tree, what's going on with the stage set to the right in the top picture?  A great big ornate wall with arches and all and behind it there's a little lean to holding it up!

:D

Look, we've covered this in an earlier lesson, were you not paying attention??

That's why I modelled it like that... ;)

The Up platform building was mostly a facade, with a single Ladies waiting room behind it, and an outside Gents privy that looks something like this...

post-17302-0-03515700-1394721696_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

post-8964-0-27135800-1394732072.jpg

post-8964-0-26869900-1394732108.jpg

Copyright Disused Stations Website / E R Morten

I definitely need to model that one...

Al.

The three trees in the first picture look like 4 seasoned warriors from the fauna world marching up the hill, each with his own character. That's what you need to aim at when making the models! 

Second image:

Do you mean the lonely wind swept elm or the super elevated hansom 48003 coasting light engine through platform 2! 

I can honestly say that I've never seen a urinal so well modeled. I bet it was a bit dicey getting reference photos! :jester:

Excellent stuff on this thread as always!

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dead hydrangea flower-heads also make good trees when put together. If you've none in your garden perhaps the neighbours have and it's time they were cutting them back after the winter. Like your cable, there're free too.

I like your tree pictures Al, there are one or two on there I wouldn't mind having a go at.

I have taken a few near here but as we are just below the hill tops most of the trees are a bit small which is partly due to the lack of top soil on the chalk.

I may have to take a walk down the valley to the next village with my camera, a lot more clay over that way.

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

Here's a tree I've been messing about with I used multi ore wire same as you then I used pollyfilla over the top for the trunk and found some moss on the street and stuck that on top , painted with some pots of tester paint (enamel I think) It was just a mess about to see what could be achevedpost-5078-0-10759700-1394739159_thumb.jpg

Brian

• Like 1