Hunslet class 05

Michael Delamar

For info if you have fitted the latest Bachmann 6 pin decoder it is very easy to change a couple of CV's to alter the way the lights work.

CV 33 & 34 control the forward and backup lights as per F0 button

CV 35 controls F1

Initially I had set mine so that on F0 both head and tail lights were on in both directions.  Therefore it was showing a typical shunter with red and white at both ends.  I later amended the defaulst back for F0 and amended F1 to turn on tail and head lights at the same time.

Values are

1 forwards

2 reverse

1+2 = 3 both

Check your manual but the full one for most Bachmann ones are only available online.  This is simple with the silver.

Having red coupling rods and the driver sat in the seat adds the extra 2% to the model, also done on mine.

• RMweb Premium

Although I was going to wait for a sound chip for the 05, with my 03 being such a poor runner, I needed a replacement station pilot for my layout which was at this weekend's model railway show at Carnforth.

I ordered a Digitrax decoder (than for the info Jonas) from Wickness Models (never used them before, but very happy as I ordered it last Sunday evening and it arrived Tuesday). This was easy to fit, although I wasn't totally sure which way up it went. I also lined the space where it goes with insulation tape to prevent any expensive shorts.

I also fitted Kadee couplings, just plugging them into the NEM pockets.

Delighted that it ran well all weekend, despite not having a driver in the cab. Photo below.

Only slight problem is that the NEM pockets swivel, so couplings don't always line up properly.

post-19248-0-99021800-1440350424_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I solved the NEM movement problem by friction fitting some appropriately sized strip wood about 7mm long next each side of the pocket - fitted and then removed for a quick coat of matt black before re-fitting. I've attached an end on photo but as it's all black it's pretty useless and the cab obviously came adrift during the photo shoot!post-1107-0-60013800-1440352922.jpgpost-1107-0-83650100-1440352905_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They should be rather thin ones - to get in through the 15" wide doors.

So was there a width restriction (or perhaps diameter restriction) for prototype crew?

Regards

If you asked any of my friends, they would tell you that in no way can I be considered to be thin, yet I have no problem getting into the cab of an 05. (And it's not thru the windows either. I do use the door).

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know the origin of this door width but Hunslet had been building this cab design since the early 1950s at least - MDHB No. 34 (1952) had a cab almost identical to the first batch of 05s. Earlier diesels seem to have had wider doors, as did later designs.

My driver is one of the Bachmann crew.  Many of the early diesel locos do seem to have quite a small door to get into the cab the Barclay built 01 were similar dimensions.

Edited by AMJ

After a nice time spent with the lads at Moreton on Lugg recently with their excellently restored 05 I have uploaded a few detail pictures of it on my Fickr site so you can see how close the model is to the prototype https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157657589593950

Nice photos Brian . Your cab interior shots are much better than mine posted earlier in the thread. Also note the microphone next to the exhaust in one of them. Hopefully the recording session was successful and a "proper" sound chip will be out in due course.

Also back on an earlier post (post 127), I've found the photo of D2570 at Swindon, complete with GWR shunters truck, and it can be found here.

http://www.railblue.com/pages/Photo%20Galleries/David%20Mant%20Collection/DMC_D2570_SW_130466.htm

Although not relevant to the Heljan model, it does show that sometimes locos did turn up at the most unusual places.

Paul J.

• Like 2

Will any sound chip have the option of a good driver who changes the gears smoothly or a bad one who smashes through them.

PS The clutch plates are a bitch to change and a bigger bitch to get hold of

It must be said that there were a few strange noises coming from under my feet  :scratchhead: How the heck you shunt a yard with these and still have a load intact is beyond me. Oh and not run the shunter over as well whilst you are looking at what you are doing and not where you are going!

If you use them day in, day out you can get that feeling you need for smooth running. Plus it helps if you have two of them which we had at the time

And they have proper cab heating, house style rads in the cab

Edited by 25901

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Heljan's  instructions say that the Hunslet Class 05 was designed to accept a Loksound Micro with 6 pins.

Has anyone succeded in fitting a 6 pin Lok Micro?

The length of the allocated space is 33.5mm. The loco PCB is 18mm long and a Lok Micro is 25mm or a tad longer. That gives a minimum overall length of 43mm.

How do I get 43mm into a space 33.5mm long?

Do I have to take Heljan's suggestion with a pinch of salt or is there a way to make this combo fit, please?

Kind regards,

Paul

All,

If anyone is still looking to fit a DCC chip;- I fitted a Gaugemaster 6 pin N gauge plug-in decoder - DCC23. A snug fit with no modifications, Not cheap mind you at £24.94.

Regards

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...