Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Two points on colour.....White lining when grossly overscale looks vulgar and toylike. Going off the other greens in the above image, the loco green looks 'Darlington' rather than the more yellowy Doncaster green.

I thought the greenlooked a tad off

The green does look a tad on the cold side to me but the buffer beam also looks a bit off.

I think it is a case of wait and see.

General shape does look pretty good going by the photos.

To me the driving wheels as a set look out of proportion to the whole loco on the real thing and the model captures this look to perfection.

Bernard

Are you'll seriously going by the color from an image taken under artificial light???? C'mon.... It would be better to go by the image on their facebook page.

• RMweb Premium

The three P2s (one complete and two as bodies and tenders only) at STEAM looked stunning - despite my advanced age I never saw a P2 in green so can't comment on if its the correct shade but if the way we mixed paint for military vehicles is anything to go by each batch of paint might have subtle difference in  shades. The lining looks fine in teh flesh so to speak and these are stunners.

I don't comment on your day jobs so please do not attempt to tell me about mine.  By mentioning it now, Hornby had been allerted to the possibility that the shade of green might be incorrect. Afterall, they have already invested a lot of money in its production so why fall at the final hurdle. I have been involved in producing initial paintjobs for the China companies to copy in the past...... And yes for Hornby.  Make no mistake, they make a very good job of colour is they are given the right information. Better to get it right now.

All I did was send an alert that the green might be worng.

Mod edit to remove unnecessary comment.

Edited by Mod3

I don't comment on your day jobs so please do not attempt to tell me about mine.  By mentioning it now, Hornby had been allerted to the possibility that the shade of green might be incorrect. Afterall, they have already invested a lot of money in its production so why fall at the final hurdle. I have been involved in producing initial paintjobs for the China companies to copy in the past...... And yes for Hornby.  Make no mistake, they make a very good job of colour is they are given the right information. Better to get it right now.

All I did was send an alert that the green might be worng.

So just when did you last colour calibrate a camera, or a PC monitor Larry?

• RMweb Gold

I do wonder about dipping a toe into this debate but I will try because I saw these loco samples at Swindon on Saturday although they were in a Hornby showcase under artificial light - which of itself can affect colour rendition of course.  I have never seen LNER green paint in an LNER setting - I'm too young for that but I saw engines in the old York museum and I have a number of contemporaneous postcard illustrations of various LNER engines from the period.  The latter show a remarkable consistency between different issuers and printers although some are distinctly different in tone and shade but all have seemingly been kept out of natural light for many years.

Based on all of that, and umpteen miss & hit possibilities in both the sample and my comparison colour knowledge (or ignorance?) my own opinion was that the green didn't look quite right.  But then as it wasn't painted at Swindon who am I too judge?

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking that colour samples for Silver Link were obtained from the 1935 Doncaster model held in the NRM? Is there any similar references for the P2?

Maybe........I've had these for years prepared by either Masons or Williamsons, suppiers of transport paint to the railways since pre-grouping days....(They are merely to show such things might be still available. It is Doncaster shade and I think I am right in saying it was purchased for painting 'Green Arrow' at the time).

post-6680-0-62684200-1379423902.jpgpost-6680-0-74825600-1379423903.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

oh eck....that shows as almost as dark as BR 'Brunswick' green on this monitor at work.....but that's been through Larry's scanner, computer (PC or Apple?), the interweb, our  IOM Government servers, and this cheap and nasty work PC and LCD monitor. 

I'd love to see those in the flesh though Larry, for sure, that would be incredibly interesting to compare to a computer rendition of them.

• RMweb Gold

For the record I was not defending if the colour was right or wrong as I certainly do not have the knowledge of all things green north of the Thames but just pointing the failings of my pictures that were not taken under ideal conditions. I apologise if it my post came across otherwise.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2

oh eck....that shows as almost as dark as BR 'Brunswick' green on this monitor at work.....but that's been through Larry's scanner, computer (PC or Apple?), the interweb, our  IOM Government servers, and this cheap and nasty work PC and LCD monitor. 

I'd love to see those in the flesh though Larry, for sure, that would be incredibly interesting to compare to a computer rendition of them.

I did say they were merely to show that the NRM might be able to assist if required to do so. For the record, they matched Precision Paints Doncaster Green when it used to be sold as gloss paint. Pointing to a respected model paint is better than me pointlessly trying to match my monitor with the actual sample......but here goes.....

post-6680-0-60846500-1379429624.jpg

Back on topic, Hornby's model looks the bees-knees and will probably be appearing on layouts near us all if only in a 'funny hour'....Glad to have seen Grahams images....

Going off the other greens in the above image, the loco green looks 'Darlington' rather than the more yellowy Doncaster green.

Nothing wrong with that at all! In fact, I'd suggest they keep it that way!! :good:

Watch how everyone takes that really really really seriously.....

Edited by The Black Hat

• RMweb Premium

I've commented on other threads about the accuracy or otherwise of Bachmann's and Hornby's shades of BR(S) green. And here we are again with LNER greens. I have no way of knowing what colour is right - I too am too young to have seen it in the flesh - but what I do think coachmann's posted images demonstrate very well is that green of any ilk seems to be one of, if not the most, difficult colours to match.

However accurate the green is on the P2 images we have seen, as a model it really does look the bees knees. Isn't that the most important thing?

Surely Hornby will make the Apple Green the same as every other Apple green loco they've made? (though I understand the 'Aussie' Flying Scotsman is a slightly different shade for some reason).

Coachmann's NRM green looks very similar to the Railmatch paint I was spraying last night, which seems lighter than Hornby or Bachmann's version to me.

Regardless, I still can't wait for the P2 though!! :)

I've commented on other threads about the accuracy or otherwise of Bachmann's and Hornby's shades of BR(S) green. And here we are again with LNER greens. I have no way of knowing what colour is right - I too am too young to have seen it in the flesh - but what I do think coachmann's posted images demonstrate very well is that green of any ilk seems to be one of, if not the most, difficult colours to match.

However accurate the green is on the P2 images we have seen, as a model it really does look the bees knees. Isn't that the most important thing?

The real point is it doesn't matter whether one is 4 years old or 90 years old, the LNER greens (and other railway colours) are there in the tinlets of Precision Phoenix paints and the even older firm of Cherries.  We can be grateful they were mixed by dedicated gentlemen many years ago for us all to use in the confident knowledge that we are using near-as-dammit correct colours. Darlington or Doncaster green does matter depending where locos were built or regularly shopped. Although shot in preservation,  the B1 (Doncaster green) and D49 (Darlington green) does give a clue as to the differences wth one at the yellow end of the spectrum and the other at the blue end....

post-6680-0-44967000-1379433127_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Unlike CRTs, LCD monitors appear different colours depending on the angle you view them at. (most pronounced vertically)

I can get Coach's samples to look anywhere between almost black and a pale sage green!

I could check the colour using Coreldraw and some Pantone samples I have but I can't be bothered!

I just hope Hornby get it somewhere near correct.

I have just pre-ordered (after much procrastination) a P2. It doesn't fit in with my layout, but it just looks so good!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

It wasn't a criticism Larry - merely a comment about how colours can differ.  I wouldn't presume to lecture you on paint colours! 

Your second post of the swatch looks much more to the yellow end, the first the blue, on my home monitor - which is calibrated for my printer, if nothing else!

The shot of the B1 and D49 says it all really.  The D49 doesn't look 'right'.......but is.  fascinating stuff.

• Like 2

The shot of the B1 and D49 says it all really.  The D49 doesn't look 'right'.......but is.  fascinating stuff.

Shame there arent more Darlington green engines out there.... wonder if Hornby, reading this actually thinks a run of P2s in fictious form of Darlington green, BR Brunswick or BR Blue would be worthwhile....

Darlington green does look great. But then I would say that... :locomotive:

Cue the references to:

Fifty Shades of Green - a new novel of obsession,
(to the details of extinct railway locomotive and coach liveries).

If I recall correctly there was a thread asking about accurate hues of BR(SR) and Bulleid green coaching stock the other day. LSWR sage is another contentious colour.

And yes, this was intended in jest. I have a great deal of respect for people who work very hard to get it 'just right'. It is difficult.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Latest report on http://www.a1steam.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=697&Itemid=247 suggests that those who are stating they have never seen a P2 in the flesh may, in the fullness of time, have to retract that statement!

Phil

• Like 2