Is there a surprising lack of RTR GWR Coaches?

I've been a very good boy this year and decided to give myself the Hornby London 1908 set with a County 4-4-0 and two clerestory coaches for Christmas. The painting/printing on the coach sides is well executed and very pleasing to my eye, despite the lack of moulded panels. With a little attention given to the roof and underframe/bogies, they will have the "right" look for my needs. The loco-driven (I thought it was the usual tender drive) County will also come in handy. The £79.99 feels like money very well spent.

Regards,

Stefan

Well Stefan me thinks you will be making a County tank in the not to distant future with yours, I've got one and have been dressing it up a bit I'm trying to get the hand rails off the loco boiler at the moment so I can reline it with the HMRS stuff as it does not match the cabsides or tender no doubt its this new design clever thingy thats Hornby is rattling on about   :paint:.

Real coal, crew, tools and lamps to go on as well, maybe some brass. plates. 

HNY 81C

Excellent idea, 81C! It will become a County tank!

Regards,

Stefan 

I would like some RTR coach stock that would reasonably time up with if I bought the Bachmann City of Bath (last seen in 1927 ish).

As City of Bath has the old number (3433) and is therefore pre 1912, your only real RTR option is the Hornby Clerestories. See if you can get some of the newer ones (much better decoration) split from the London 1908, Flying Dutchman, or GWR anniversary sets.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

As City of Bath has the old number (3433) and is therefore pre 1912, your only real RTR option is the Hornby Clerestories. See if you can get some of the newer ones (much better decoration) split from the London 1908, Flying Dutchman, or GWR anniversary sets.

Adrian

If the toplights come, how accurate would it be having Bath pulling those?

Toplights* in their original form would be fine with Bath. The problem is that toplights came in many forms, and a lot of them got modified during the (first) war. As has been mentioned before, what was built is typically quite different than how they ended up in later days (a bit like the Cities), even discounting the significant production differences over the time toplights were built.

*panel sided, like the Slaters/Coopercraft kits, not smooth sided, like (some of) the Frogmore kits

Adrian

• RMweb Premium
Toplights* in their original form would be fine with Bath. The problem is that toplights came in many forms, and a lot of them got modified during the (first) war. As has been mentioned before, what was built is typically quite different than how they ended up in later days (a bit like the Cities), even discounting the significant production differences over the time toplights were built.

*panel sided, like the Slaters/Coopercraft kits, not smooth sided, like (some of) the Frogmore kits

Adrian

On that basis, they could easily fit into the "design clever" aspect that Hornby are talking about....

. Different standards, fitting into the different ranges. The original design could fit into the main range, wih later plated versions appearing in the Railroad range, or vis-versa.

In any event it would be great to see more GWR carriages very soon! (Can we have left and right hand brake as well as the usual 3rd etc.

Maybe Bachmann will surprise us when they announce their new range sometime in March (I think).

On that basis, they could easily fit into the "design clever" aspect that Hornby are talking about.... . Different standards, fitting into the different ranges. The original design could fit into the main range, wih later plated versions appearing in the Railroad range, or vis-versa. In any event it would be great to see more GWR carriages very soon! (Can we have left and right hand brake as well as the usual 3rd etc. Maybe Bachmann will surprise us when they announce their new range sometime in March (I think).

It would be much easier to do a range of 1920s Collett 57' Bow-Ended coaches (replacing the ancient Hornby ones) than to try and enter the minefield that is toplight coaches. It would also be a more useful range as these coaches lasted well into BR days substantially unaltered - something that can't be said of toplight coaches.

Adrian

However, its the Toplights that regularly top the polls.

I expect that is because most of the people who vote do not realize the scope of what they are voting for. It is like having Collett 1923-1938 Coaches as a category, rather than splitting the Collett era up as the polls do.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

I expect that is because most of the people who vote do not realize the scope of what they are voting for. It is like having Collett 1923-1938 Coaches as a category, rather than splitting the Collett era up as the polls do.

Adrian

Agreed, so in my Poll of 2010 I did just that! We tried to give as many variants, although a re-tool of the 1925 stock was not suggested by the contributors at the time. Strangly, neither were the Hawksworth carriages.

The Poll is here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/7491-great-western-railway-coaches/

Maybe we should update the list of options and canvass opinion again.

If the toplights come, how accurate would it be having Bath pulling those?

[Panel sided] Toplights would be fine with Bath. The problem is that toplights came in many forms, and a lot of them got modified during the (first) war. As has been mentioned before, what was built is typically quite different than how they ended up in later days (a bit like the Cities), even discounting the significant production differences over the time toplights were built.

Minefield or not, we are seeing pre-1930 locomotives - Star, City etc. A selection of Churchward toplights even with some anachronistic compromises in accuracy to produce a more versatile model would be most welcome.

It would be much easier to do a range of 1920s Collett 57' Bow-Ended coaches (replacing the ancient Hornby ones) than to try and enter the minefield that is toplight coaches. It would also be a more useful range as these coaches lasted well into BR days substantially unaltered - something that can't be said of toplight coaches.

Its the Toplights that regularly top the polls.

I'd certainly purchase new 1920s Collett 57' bow-ended coaches. I presume that the existing venerable Hornby Collett coaches, suburbans, autocoach and clerestories are already 'design clever', so I'm not sure what the payoff for tooling up replacements for them would be. Toplights would certainly have more 'wow' factor.

Agreed, so in my Poll of 2010 I did just that! We tried to give as many variants, although a re-tool of the 1925 stock was not suggested by the contributors at the time. Strangly, neither were the Hawksworth carriages.

The Poll is here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/7491-great-western-railway-coaches/

Maybe we should update the list of options and canvass opinion again.

As some of the contributers to that thread pointed out, that poll didn't include any of the Collett corridor stock (except the special cases of the 1935 excursion stock and the Centenaries) as voting options, so the results are quite difficult to take seriously. It is also hard to take it seriously when the granularity of the options varies between 'Toplight corridor stock' and 'B Set composite Diagram E129'.

Adrian

Archived