Is there a surprising lack of RTR GWR Coaches?

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if I started building one someone would announce a rtr version to be released soon.

Not much detail given on whats in the D74 57' Toplight box by Coopercraft.

Why not have a go Robin, and then we can all enjoy the RTR annoucnement as soon as you're done :-)

As for what's in the kits: FWIW below are some shots I used for an ebay sale a while back. They are of the 4mm Clerestories but I have some of the Toplights and the quality and contents is basically the same (I have no connection to... etc). 

post-738-0-73703000-1356347367_thumb.jpg

post-738-0-43617000-1356347384_thumb.jpg

post-738-0-45565700-1356347402_thumb.jpg

post-738-0-92994200-1356347686_thumb.jpg

post-738-0-95097800-1356347420_thumb.jpg

post-738-0-57409300-1356347504_thumb.jpg

post-738-0-06910500-1356347470_thumb.jpg

I've not actually built one of these myself yet. I understand the bogies (which are not plastic) are the only really complex issue and that people tend to replace them. Meanwhile for anyone interested in the clerestories, a little 7mm appetizer here:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1131/entry-9618-gwr-clerestory-bogie-coach-all-3rd-diag-c10/

Thanks for the info Karhedron,

Regrettably building such kits is well beyond my skill set  :(

Building kits is beyond everyone's skillset until they do it for the first time. ;)

That is why I suggested sticking the etched sides on some Hornby B-sets. You don't need to build a whole coach, just paint the sides and attatch them to the existing bodyshell (after opening out the windows). I have done the same in N gauge. It is much easier than building a full kit but is a good way to build some useful modelling experience.

... the only decent offerings being first produced by Mainline and Airfix in the '80s.

The older GWR coach tooling dates from the misguided thoughts of the CJF circle in the 1970s: GWR alone boasted a choice in RTR of a branchline coach, non-gangwayed, and gangwayed mainline stock, and the clerestories which were GWR-ish. Lavish provision in its day! The Hawksworths are a GWR design too; the question you have to ask from a  manufacturer's perspective is whether there is a viable market for earlier types which cannot carry BR maroon?

Thanks for the info Karhedron,

Regrettably building such kits is well beyond my skill set  :(

Regards,

Dave

Dave,

not a lot of people know this, but skills are just like RTR models - they can be acquired. 

Funnily enough, it's probably easier to acquire the skills and build a kit than it is to get the RTR manufacturers to actually produce what you want - unless you are very lucky.

Jol

PC Models used to do a range of flush-sided 57ft Toplights including 1sts, 3rds, composites, brakes, brake composites and slips from the early 20th century (pre- Collett). I have a few of them (various diagrams) still unbuilt. Anyone know what happened to PC Models? If anyone wants further info, I could sort out what I have by diagram number. If anyone is brave enough to take on the reproduction, please get in touch.

Most carriages built from 1923 are a good bet because of their lifespan and liveries ranging from early grouping to BR lined maroon. This included the 1923-29 57' Collett corridor bow-enders. Coaches built earlier are less certian of recieving post 1956 maroon because, whilst they may have lasted until 1960 or thereabouts, many retained blood & custard until withdrawn.This includes GW 'Toplight' corridor stock and even the 70 footers.

PC Models used to do a range of flush-sided 57ft Toplights including 1sts, 3rds, composites, brakes, brake composites and slips from the early 20th century (pre- Collett). I have a few of them (various diagrams) still unbuilt. Anyone know what happened to PC Models? ..........

PC Models pre-printed coach kits went to Wheeltappers but I rather suspect they are no longer available.

PC Models pre-printed coach kits went to Wheeltappers but I rather suspect they are no longer available.

I think that Wheeltappers "closed" when they ran out of certain components and the volume/cost investment for new parts became uneconomic.

PC kits still appear fairly regularly on ebay. Look out for the ones in see through packs rather than boxes. These are later kits and (as least as far as the LNWR carriages were concerned) were updated with extruded solebar/lower  tumblehome supports and roofs which made them easier to assemble.

The etched kits went to MSE and are still available.

Jol

PC Models used to do a range of flush-sided 57ft Toplights including 1sts, 3rds, composites, brakes, brake composites and slips from the early 20th century (pre- Collett). I have a few of them (various diagrams) still unbuilt. Anyone know what happened to PC Models? If anyone wants further info, I could sort out what I have by diagram number. If anyone is brave enough to take on the reproduction, please get in touch.

I would be interested to know the diagram numbers. The 2mm versions done by Cavendish were mostly in fact the South Wales stock which followed the Toplights, although painted in the imitation panelled livery. This was their great advantage, most of us would struggle to match the finish with our own efforts.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

What period is the D47 57' version suitable for and what are the destructions like in these kits .

Any photos Neal ?

Theres confusion over the diagram number of these as the Coopercraft website says D74 but this old ebay listing photo says D47.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slaters-GWR-57-Toplight-Brake-Third-Coach-/160887934610?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2575ab0e92&nma=true&si=G5DUG%2BqePtE6oDsGpjVE%2FA0TtB0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Hi Rob,

I will add some details for you tomorrow. I've made 2 kits of the Toplights, they still need a bit of work to finish, which I hope to do soon! (By which time they will be available as RTR no doubt!)

Have a good Christmas,

Neal.

...Theres confusion over the diagram number of these as the Coopercraft website says D74 but this old ebay listing photo says D47...

I wondered about that, too. I couldn't find any trace of D74 in the lot list in Harris, though the sequence might put it amongst the post-WW1 ambulance conversions. However, there was a D47 built in two lots in 1911/2 and this seems more likely given the C28 thirds were built in 1908/9 and the E88 compos in 1911/12

Lot 1173 4/3/11, 57' x 9' brake third toplight, bars 1 underframe, nos 2346-55

Lot 1195 28/10/12 as above but bars 2, nos 2367-9/74-81/3551-9, also noted to be 4 compartment.

On balance, I'd say it's D47 and the 74 is a typo resulting from all the update work that's going on on the Cooper Craft site.

Nick

ps. the clerestory build dates were C10 1894-6, E37 1892, D14 1894.

Trouble with painting GWR kits is the transfers. In the days when Peter Chatham printed them they had a good coating of 'gum' but the final decade before I retired was a trial...!  I always hand painted the running numbers though as I was in no mood to mess around with 16 digits floating away with the backing paper.

To add to my above post, Russell's Appendix vol 1 has a photo of D47 no 2377 taken in 1952. He also notes another lot 1314 of 1922 conversions from ambulance sets, nos 3509/11, 3551-6 (RH) and 3557-9 (LH). He also notes they were condemned in 1962. Harris lists these conversions with the diagram no D47/68 but only lists 3509/11/2/3.

Nick

Another option with the Slaters toplights kits is to replace the sides with the Worsley Works steel sided toplight range of sides to give greater variety than available in the Slaters range. (when they first came out I used to use the long unavailable Trevor Charlton sides). At £12 a pair, it does not add too much to the project.

Corridor Composite E98 57'  

Corridor Third C32 57'  

Corridor Brake Third D56 57' Right Hand  

Corridor Brake Third D56 57' Left Hand  

Full Brake K22 57'

The ends need modifying to remove the panellings but they are a simple solution if you do not like soldering.

There are some new clerestories, as well, that may be of use.

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_GWR.htm

Merry Christmas everyone

Mike Wiltshire

I do not think that the GWR is less served with RTR coaches anymore than the othe Big Four companies. BR standard deigns are well reprensented however they were generally seen over a larger geographical area

XF

That may have been true twenty years ago but remember that almost everything available today originated with Airfix and Mainline products. Good for their time but with some glaring errors and rather behind much of the RTR stock available today. I don't understand why you mention BR standard stock, like the Hawksworths they've no relevance to the GWR, only BR(W). On the other hand, we are rather well served by kits, even if some are not always readily available.

Nick

Mk.I's didnt have much relavence on the W. Region except on some of the main expresses where whole trains of Mk.I's could be assembled. Their corridor connections didn't match, not that it mattered seeing as the region was well stocked with comfortable coaches which the Mk.I's patently were'nt.

I hardly consider two mid 1930's corridor coaches, the route-restricted Centenaries, an Auto Coach, a B set and postwar Hawksworth's represent a good coverage opr the GWR or W.Region. From these it is impossible to even vaugely make up representative corridor passenger trains despite the preponderance of GWR locos from the Kings down to the smallest Tank. Bachmann made a super job of its BR Mk.I coaches and so I cannot think why this company has not moved into pre 1947 territory instead of relying on its incorrect old faithfuls. Maybe it will after the LMR 'Porthole's.

• RMweb Premium

What period is the D47 57' version suitable for and what are the destructions like in these kits .

Any photos Neal ?

Theres confusion over the diagram number of these as the Coopercraft website says D74 but this old ebay listing photo says D47.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slaters-GWR-57-Toplight-Brake-Third-Coach-/160887934610?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2575ab0e92&nma=true&si=G5DUG%2BqePtE6oDsGpjVE%2FA0TtB0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Ive just put a few 'photos of the Slaters carriages into my model railway blog: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/972/entry-10794-slaters-toplight-carriages/

Archived