Winning on bids that you didn't really expect to win.

OnTheBranchline

About this time last year, I bid on a Hornby GWR liveried Hawksworth brake 3rd, BNIB. Offered 19.95GBP for it, as a try on. Guess what? No other bidders!

Previous to that, some 12 months before, I bid 5.00 GBP for a mini drill with about 14 attachments. Again, no other bidders.

Having crowed about my successes, it's only fair to point out that there's been a lot of failures, too! 

I bid £35 for an N Gauge Dapol Terrier in BR Black and amazed myself by winning!

Trouble was, I then had to go and buy an N gauge trainset to actually test the damn thing! So another £100 down the drain the get the farish DP1 set.

And I model in 'oo' too.

To quote Homer (Simpson, not the Greek Philosopher): "Doh!" 

• RMweb Premium

I managed to snap up a Bachmann Ltd Edition DRS Class 37 for about £80 some weeks back.  The auction ended on Saturday morning when most of the modelling world was at Warley which might have helped...  Normally DRS 37's go for outrageous prices and why are they constantly restricted to over priced limited editions?!?

A job lot consisting of a large box with assorted code 80 Peco track, to my amazement on opening the package all of it in exellent unused new condition, there was miles of it! All for only 42 quid, the bidding ended on a Tuesday morning at around 10.30.

• RMweb Gold

Recently bid on a job lot of 6 DCC decoders, 5 of which "were believed to be Lenz".  From the picture I could identify these as 5 Lenz silver minis which retail at £32 each.  The 6th was a standard Hornby.  I was amazed to win the auction for only £37!  I didn't want the Hornby and that went straight back on Ebay and sold for £10.

But the seller had cut the decoders out of his locos very crudely leaving some wires very short and unusable which no doubt put everyone else off.  But DCC Supplies charged me only £17 to rewire them leaving me still with an absolute bargain!

I had a good Christmass wit a couple of bids

1500 C&L 3 bolt chairs £10 + £3 p&p. Described as C7l track parts, no photo, poor description and finishing at 8:15am.

Southeasterm Finecast Mogul chassis + Romford/Markits wheels, axles and crankpins + one of the DS motors. £19.57 + £2.50 p&p. Needs a new set of instructions and 1 slide bar replacing.

I did have 2 or 3 other lots which I got quite cheaply, having said that I saw somethings get very expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I have in the past popped in a bid on the odd item finishing at stupid times. Best bargains were Bachmann class 20 for £19, described as used, but still in tissue and no signs of wear. Bachmann Jinty, brand new for £24 and a brand new Hornby Q1 for under £30. Best recently was a Hornby Gresley suburban (R4521) for around £16.

Couple of Bachmann 25s for under £30 - usually with helpful titles such as 'model train' and ending at stupid o'clock. Also had some good bargains by taking a risk on listings with poor descriptions and/or photos - I find that bidding well below the going rate for such items can get you an absolute bargain now and then, and when you get a bag of nails instead it's not too hard to recover most of the cost by selling spares!

• RMweb Premium

Just picked up a Bachmann NSE Class 166 for about seventy notes all in.  It was ending at half nine in the morning and normally they have been going for a ton plus and more of late. :sungum:

• 3 months later...

The current craze for the flawed Hornby 42xx and 72xx tanks appears to mean that kits may be going cheaply. In front of me is a PDK 72xx kit, secured for £69. Particularly cheap given that I've long had wheelsets and motor in the drawer, waiting for just such an opportunity.

Currently on eBay, a NuCast 72xx with wheels is struggling to reach £50, whilst a completed 42xx body is hanging around a tenner - whoever built it did a very good job of the basic structure, and you should be able to get a chassis for it from Worsley Works.

Recently got a pair of Airfix BR suburban B-set coaches for £2.50! Listed as having "a few play marks"...must've scared everyone off cos when they arrived, all that was needed was a quick touch up on one corner where paint was rubbed. Otherwise very good and the boxes were almost mint. Bargain.

Been finding a few Mashima can motersquite cheap in the past few weeks

1620 with an X03 and ECM X03 replacement for £3.02 postage was nearly as dear at £2.99

Then a long 16 series with a K's HMP motor (needed to replace one I burnt out) and 2 4F etched chassis £13.00 and £2.50 P&P

I bought a Mainline Scott with an incomplete etched chassis, kept the Mashima and Comet 2 stage gearbox (and I forgot an incomplete pair of CT 4 wheeled bolster wagons) and sold the rest including a set of Markits wheels and what I got after the selling fees were paid what the loco cost me.

Last night bought another lot which included another Mashima and gears, plus loads of other bits, some of which I can't make out. Splashed out at £16.01 + £5.00. But there is 3 packs opf Maygib parts, a Gibson packet and 15 other packs including a Alex Jackson starter set.

I also got another 16 series but cant find what I paid for it

Needless to say, none of these 3 had the word Mashima or in fact any decent descriptions of what was for sale. Still a bit like buying a lucky dip at the fair sometimes. 

Who said Ebay is too dear and bland  !!!

The same chap I bought the Mainline Scot from a week earlier I bought a Mainline ? GWR Mogul with a finescale loco and tender chassis, all ready to run. I have a K's Mogul with the latter type of rubbish chassis, wheels and motor. So I thought I would take a gamble as I could see it had Romford/Markits wheels So I won it with a £30.00 + £3.00 P&P bid

Well it did have Romfords, plus Comet Loco & tender chassis and a 2 stage gearbox along with a Mashima flat can motor. Runs fine and with the best part of £58 worth of Comet products, motor and wheels another £50 and ready built as well to boot. Not the cheapest buy, but excellent value

Archived