Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Dating, women and the 'hobby'...

• 3 weeks later...

Can't remember when i first brought up the subject with the now mrs Goldfish, but i think there was normally a recent ebay purchase on a shelf in my house at the time so it must have been obvious. In the early days she always used to say she was a lot more 'street' than i was, her life was mostly gossiping with friends and looking after her children and had no hobbies really.

I was a lot more focused on stupidly large tropical fish at the time we met and despite the fact she said she'd never want fish and wouldn't know how to look after them at hers she had no issues with helping me with tank repairs and indoor pond construction at mine. Over time hand feeding my large catfish (no that's not a euphamism) she's come around to them and is generally more eagre to go to aquarium shops than i am to see what they have in!

On the 'trains' front, i can still remember the first time i took her and the children to a model show and her saying to me at one point 'There's so many geeks here, i'm going to need a shower when i get home.' I was in hysterics.

She's generally left me too it with the modelling but has been supportive buying me items of stock over the years. More recently as i've been exhibiting with Warren Lane she's been wanting to come to more and more exhibitions and at TrainWest recently started driving too. As long as she can give the rest of us some verbal abuse she's fine with being there ;-)

I don't think she'd every want to try building her own layout but where we live now we see quite a few Great Western HSTs and she has expressed that she thinks they look very nice! The thing she's most upset about now is her ('our' now really, long story) daughter who traditionally has always been quite 'girly' shows a big interest in the hobby and would gladly come with me to every show to help!

Sent on a blind date with "a girl who likes trains".   Seemed unlikely until I noted the painting of a Duchess at Carlisle on her hall wall.   Third date was to Derby model railway exhibition where she COMPLAINED that I asked if she wanted to go round the shops!   A definite 'keeper'.     

Noting that some ladies wander around shows looking bored, we have added a note on our layout description to ask how sewing skills can be used for railway modelling.   It's a good ice breaker and she can then produce an american bulkhead flat which she loaded with cut-up lollipop sticks and strapped down with needle and thread.   

My fiancee is fine with the hobby and often appreciates a good bit of modelling. She said everyone needs a "nerdy interest" and hers is tornadoes and extreme weather, Often she says there is a model shop near somewhere she may have been so I know to go in there which is useful.

Just spent the last half hour reading through this and spent half the time taking in stuff and the other half laughing!

I'm not sure you should be reading some of this stuff at your tender age of 14.But welcome to  RMWEB ,the site will certainly increase your knowledge and broaden your horizons.Who knows some of what you learn might be useful for modelling trains.

Edited by iainp
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The lovely young lady who has arrived in my life gets better by the minute.  In addition to the deal struck that I can have a attic/shed for an official model railway room in exchange for her dream kitchen, she also now wants to help out with scenic detailing and figure painting and to top it all off I have met her father, he is a railway enthusiast as well and indeed my lady could not get a word in edge ways when we met the other day as we discussed Southern Region steam locomotives of the 1960's for the best part of half an hour!!!

Definitely a keeper....  :sungum:

• Like 8

I'm not sure you should be reading some of this stuff at your tender age of 14.But welcome to  RMWEB ,the site will certainly increase your knowledge and broaden your horizons.Who knows some of what you learn might be useful for modelling trains.

Tender age of 14! I hear much ruder stuff at school :biggrin_mini2:  I didn't know you were supposed to learn about railway modelling on here! lol :D

• Like 3

My wife told me when I got back into model railways years later that she never dreamed she had married an anorak.I told her I never dreamed I would go to bed with a 40 year old woman .

• Like 9

My wife told me when I got back into model railways years later that she never dreamt she had married an anorak.I told her I never dreamt I would go to bed with a 40 year old woman .

Dear Alfsboy.

I can fully sympathise with your wife, you never know what strange hobbies your spouse followed in their youth.I already knew about my partners championship clog dancing when we met,but when at the age of 45 she got back into Tae-kwon-do I was somewhat taken aback.She is now a 2nd Dan Black-belt.Nowadays, unlike you with your wife ,I never tell her anything, I just do as I,m told.

Edited by iainp
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Little question that a relationship in which each partner has a hobby or hobbies may well endure longer than one where hubby's main interest is having a glass in one hand and the tv remote in the other. RMwebbers are off to a good start, it seems to me.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Little question that a relationship in which each partner has a hobby or hobbies may well endure longer than one where hubby's main interest is having a glass in one hand and the tv remote in the other. RMwebbers are off to a good start, it seems to me.

Nothing wrong with the odd drink, and a bit of TV but taking it to extremes, no.

As I said to Sue a few days ago, when I retire I will have the time to do all of my hobbies. 16 or 17 years to go

Met my future wife when she was 17½. She more or less guessed I had interests other than the band and especially a passing interest in railways. Placed a platform trolley beside a blazing brazier at York to keep her warm. Stood with her in my arms on the footbridge over the old level crossing at Llandudno Junction while we watched a 'Jubilee' being re-railed. Took an overnighter at a boarding house in Colwyn Bay and assembled an Airfix 4-wheel railbus while she slept. Took her to work with me to see what I did on the footplate. When it came to leaving a well paid job and going self-employed, she said "go for it". She has been a partner in so many ways for 52 years this month!

What a lovely story

Dear Evil Bus Driver.

Sorry to hear the climate down south is so boring.Might I venture to suggest you take your fiancée for a weeks holiday in one of our more robust and exciting North East England coastal resorts.Redcar should be ideal.

Tornadoes are not unknown there and extreme weather is an almost daily event.I speak from many a happy childhood summer day spent on the beach.

Edit:It occurs to me that you may both be of a Gothic persuasion in which case substitute Whitby for Redcar.That way you get Dracula ,extreme weather and even better The North Yorkshire Moors railway.

Edited by iainp
  • Like 3