Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

For a brief moment there I thought I was actually on Fingermouse the GWR.

We don't allow GWR here. IT'S A RULE.

Bulleid rules un-challenged, and I just bought this brass and whitemetal Merchant Navy the early type with such sensible things as chain driven valve gear and steam operated reverser, ... the pics are edited but you get the general effect. Who could afford Kodachrome in 1948? EM gauge sitting precariously on 00 track, the far side flanges on top of the rail... EM track still en route from seller in UK. My first adventure in near-scale gauge.

I like it anyway..

post-7929-0-88299100-1408236882_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-77542300-1408236856_thumb.jpg

Rob

• Like 13

My first attempt at creating a decent photograph from my modelling without it appearing 'Cuneoesque'. I know others have been accused of digitally over manipulating photos.

I used a convenient natural background and used the available subdued natural light. My RTR model, bought quite cheaply on ebay for a touch under a pony only needed 3 minutes of weathering to reach what I think is an acceptable look. Without using expensive photo editing programs I used some basic craft techniques to recreate the smoke. The wagon needs some work but I bought it 'as new in box'.

To capture Cuneo fully, I placed the mouse in various places before settling on this photo as it looks more natural.

I hope that my photography will placate the purists who seem to dislike anything too digitally enhanced even though the resulting photos are marvellous examples of photographic creativity.

Isn't that mouse just a tad overscale? I'm not questioning its realism, though. Very convincing! ;)

My first attempt at creating a decent photograph from my modelling without it appearing 'Cuneoesque'. I know others have been accused of digitally over manipulating photos.

I used a convenient natural background and used the available subdued natural light. My RTR model, bought quite cheaply on ebay for a touch under a pony only needed 3 minutes of weathering to reach what I think is an acceptable look. Without using expensive photo editing programs I used some basic craft techniques to recreate the smoke. The wagon needs some work but I bought it 'as new in box'.

To capture Cuneo fully, I placed the mouse in various places before settling on this photo as it looks more natural.

I hope that my photography will placate the purists who seem to dislike anything too digitally enhanced even though the resulting photos are marvellous examples of photographic creativity.

attachicon.gif20140816_160901.jpg

I've never been able to spot the mice in any of Cuneo's work, nothings changed. Clue from anyone would be a help.

I wonder what you might have achieved with white candy floss??? :angel:

Thanks for the idea Jaz. I just tried it and have spent the last 2 hours cleaning up the wheels after running the loco through a bed of it. It did look quite impressive though I doubt I will bother running my 4-8-8-4 Big boy through it!

Here is a modified image which I have enjoyed creating; showing Hattons' 'heavily weathered' Garratt 47996 with many and various minor alterations at speed (if Garratts ever reached much over 30mph)...  blur tool used a little, smoke and steam painted, fireman copied/painted, and so it goes.

Inspiration from a misspent childhood watching trains go by, sometimes a night.  Larger version in Heljan thread. The age of steam, coal and steel drawing to an end in the mid-50s.

Cheers,

Rob

post-7929-0-84281300-1408401731_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Here is a modified image which I have enjoyed creating; showing Hattons' 'heavily weathered' Garratt 47996 with many and various minor alterations at speed (if Garratts ever reached much over 30mph)...  blur tool used a little, smoke and steam painted, fireman copied/painted, and so it goes.

Inspiration from a misspent childhood watching trains go by, sometimes a night.  Larger version in Heljan thread. The age of steam, coal and steel drawing to an end in the mid-50s.

Cheers,

Rob

attachicon.gifgarratt_night_47996_9abcde_crop1_r1200.jpg

Do you ever do diesels?

Lovely effects, David, and a rare engine to see modelled. Keep it up. I especially like the sleepers in the foreground.

Many thanks Rob

I do like the shape of the Thompson Pacific's but as far as I know only PDK Models actually produce an A2/1 kit and i must say I am very pleased with the finished result.

Regards

David 

The above picture of the Atlantic Coast Express reminds me of a series of edited pictures I did in February this year of an imaginary 00 RTR model Merchant Navy in original or un-rebuilt form, to the standard of, say, Hornby's West Country/Battle of Britain class engines, or rebuilt Merchant Navy.. 

Quite a steep learning curve for me, but I have the Irwell books and several others including George Heiron's and other various... these two pics below are made from various sources mostly adapted from Hornby small Pacifics, and show the differences between the early 21C1-10 and later MNs, rivet patterns, frontal body cladding shapes and more.  Also below that a pic of another light Pacific on an up express at an imaginary place near Farnborough.

All edited but oh what a fine model an early MN would be.

Cheers

post-7929-0-98604700-1408659865_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-88505600-1408659904_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-98300200-1408659942_thumb.jpg

Rob

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Do you ever do diesels?

I know Rob doesn't - but just wait till you see the latest Abbotswood pictures taken by Trevor Jones - should be out in Hornby mag November issue if all goes to plan

Phil

• Like 1

Cool. A lot people 'do' the steam as there are not so many colour pictures with steam. And there are so many more colour pictures of diesel. We did like the idea of the modelling smoke boxes....but as running them 'empty' tends to be detrimental to the model.....we decided to air and see how the idea developed. So never got one. As such seeing a before and after picture with a model, allows you to look at the model its layout, and then the added dimension. I personally like a with and without for comparison, although I suppose for some that ruins the magic. Others of course prefer no photographic 'trickery' but everything we do is trickery of a sort.Unless like Castle and others you are lucky enough to work on the real thing.Jammie devil.

I saw yesterday in the news about the planes, and the traffic stopping on the road to admire them, especially the Canadian one which flew across for the second time. Probably the last time they will be seen in the air together. We are so lucky that so many locos and rolling stock are easier to preserve and so many have made it to loving homes. Seeing a steam loco 'flying' along is a very evocative sight. And it is lovely to see it re enacted. Better still to see the real thing being used and cared for.

The above picture of the Atlantic Coast Express reminds me of a series of edited pictures I did in February this year of an imaginary 00 RTR model Merchant Navy in original or un-rebuilt form, to the standard of, say, Hornby's West Country/Battle of Britain class engines, or rebuilt Merchant Navy.. 

Quite a steep learning curve for me, but I have the Irwell books and several others including George Heiron's and other various... these two pics below are made from various sources mostly adapted from Hornby small Pacifics, and show the differences between the early 21C1-10 and later MNs, rivet patterns, frontal body cladding shapes and more.  Also below that a pic of another light Pacific on an up express at an imaginary place near Farnborough.

All edited but oh what a fine model an early MN would be.

Cheers

attachicon.gif21C9_Bulleid_MN_3ab_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gif35021_Bulleid_MN_1958_ACE_r1200_4a.jpg

attachicon.gif34065_Bulleid_Hurricane_ACE_5abc_r1200.jpg

Rob

Hi Rob

Superb photos as usual.

I know I model the LNER and Haymarket but I grew up watching the Bulleid Pacific's going in and out of Waterloo Station and through Clapham Junction Station in the early 1960's and I do like to see the unrebuilt locos.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Good Evening All

This will be my last two photos on this thread for some time now, (did I hear you all say thank God), as I now have my main shed building back for Haymarket 64B complete with internal LED lighting so it's back to modelling for now I have already started on the main shed roof sections.

I will put some updated photos on my thread in Layout Topics over the Bank Holiday Weekend if possible.

Enclosed are photos of two contrasting A4 Pacifics, one a Gateshead A4 in rather clean condition for a 52A Pacific the other a Haymarket A4 on the Talisman Express in typical Haymarket condition for 1958.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-01761500-1408732145_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-78234200-1408732160_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 17

There never seem to be many services passing through Ropley!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Tom.

Hi Tom

I currently hold a photographers lineside pass at the Mid Hants Railway as I use to sell my photos in their shop at Alresford Station.

I have photographed Roply hundreds of times from all different locations and I must say your photo is very good and what brilliant track work and landscaping just like the real thing.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Gold

Thanks David, makes it worthwhile when people who are familiar with the actual location say that!

The real place has changed a great deal since work started on the layout, it has been difficult keeping up!

Tom. 

TomE

Your image is exactly what this thread is about IMHO – those pictures that are so good they come ascloseasthis to fooling the observer. I did a double take – fantastic and even more so given the scale.

Edited by Anglian