Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

Good morning All

Does anyone think this is taking model railway photography a little bit too far with photoshop?

A3 60043 Brown Jack working hard on a freight back home to Edinburgh somewhere on the Waverley Route, and since when has Meldon Quarry Viaduct been relocated North.

Anyway photo enclosed.

Regards

David 

post-6557-0-24476100-1407660673_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 16

Good morning All

Does anyone think this is taking model railway photography a little bit too far with photoshop?

A3 60043 Brown Jack working hard on a freight back home to Edinburgh somewhere on the Waverley Route, and since when has Meldon Quarry Viaduct been relocated North.

Anyway photo enclosed.

Regards

David

As long as it evokes the real thing it's fine, and especially if it works for you, it's doubly so.

Very hard to render well, but your pics very much suggest the great age of BR steam.

Go for it!

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

As long as it evokes the real thing it's fine, and especially if it works for you, it's doubly so.

Very hard to render well, but your pics very much suggest the great age of BR steam.

Go for it!

Rob

Many thanks Rob

Coming from you I take that as a big compliment as I have always admired your artistic photos of RTR models and the way you put the overall photo together.

Anyway there's no stopping me know so here a photo of one of my favourite models and also my favourite A3 class locomotive as well, even though I never did see her in my trainspotting days in north London in the early sixties.

So here A3 60097 Humorist working hard under a stormy sky on the Waverley Route.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-95345400-1407760487_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

That is lovely and very evocative.

The background and foreground are very good. As you will have found, it isn't simple getting the effects of steam and smoke, what you have done around the tunnel mouth is great.

Cheers,

Rob

My first attempt at creating a decent photograph from my modelling without it appearing 'Cuneoesque'. I know others have been accused of digitally over manipulating photos.

I used a convenient natural background and used the available subdued natural light. My RTR model, bought quite cheaply on ebay for a touch under a pony only needed 3 minutes of weathering to reach what I think is an acceptable look. Without using expensive photo editing programs I used some basic craft techniques to recreate the smoke. The wagon needs some work but I bought it 'as new in box'.

To capture Cuneo fully, I placed the mouse in various places before settling on this photo as it looks more natural.

I hope that my photography will placate the purists who seem to dislike anything too digitally enhanced even though the resulting photos are marvellous examples of photographic creativity.

post-19606-0-19702000-1408223686_thumb.jpg

Lovely but you realise you have the incorrect colour on the buffer shank for that year...

post-7929-0-63902800-1408225145_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-67882900-1408225177_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-55900800-1408225274_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-25287400-1408225323_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-35827900-1408225381_thumb.jpg

Lovely Hornby models mostly.

Cheers,

Rob

edit put wrong pic up... Garratt overload.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 16

My first attempt at creating a decent photograph from my modelling without it appearing 'Cuneoesque'. I know others have been accused of digitally over manipulating photos.

I used a convenient natural background and used the available subdued natural light. My RTR model, bought quite cheaply on ebay for a touch under a pony only needed 3 minutes of weathering to reach what I think is an acceptable look. Without using expensive photo editing programs I used some basic craft techniques to recreate the smoke. The wagon needs some work but I bought it 'as new in box'.

To capture Cuneo fully, I placed the mouse in various places before settling on this photo as it looks more natural.

I hope that my photography will placate the purists who seem to dislike anything too digitally enhanced even though the resulting photos are marvellous examples of photographic creativity.

attachicon.gif20140816_160901.jpg

I wonder what you might have achieved with white candy floss??? :angel:

attachicon.gif20140816_160901.jpg

For a brief moment there I thought I was actually on Fingermouse the GWR.

Edited by BR(S)