Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

What Sickening Modeling Moments Have Happened to You?

c2c

• RMweb Gold

Covered a station building in brick paper only to realise when I'd done that the courses were running vertically, then the following day dropping a Bachmann Cl 108 on the floor... more sleep needed :)

• RMweb Gold

im sure he won't mind me sharing with you (mainly to wish him all the best) but part time poster "richard sibley" owner of trident trains in dagfields had a bit of a mishap a few weeks back.......

when i called in to get some provisions i noticed a sign saying shutting early due to doctors appointment, anyway went in and noticed richards hand was bandaged up, turned out he had a mishap making some stockboxes in his workshop , while using a table saw he had finished cutting the wood required for the boxes and turned round to turn the saw off only to somehow misjudge it and end up completly cutting one finger off and half of the one next to it!

i know richard reads the posts on rmweb so i want to wish him all the best and get well soon, i'm sure anyone else who knows him will wish him the same too.

i'm sure he would reply if he could, may be a few letters missing though!!

get well soon richard, he will now however only be selling lengths of track in packs of 8 1/2 instead of 10

I think my worst was tripping and knocking the bookcase in the modelroom. Falling from a shelf near the top was a freshly finished 4F sprung buffers do not work from 5 feet, the tender was twisted and the loco cab was smashed. The book case was then screwed to the wall, the customer was called and told his loco was going to be a few more weeks. The kit maker was called for a new kit and some spares.

I don't have any specific stories but I have learnt a few things from the more minor ones:

1) Cats and models do not mix. I still have the bits of the Farish BoBo chassis that took a 3 foot plunge onto a concrete floor stored somewhere.

2) Once I finished my new modelling space (shed) one of the first things I bought for it was a First Aid kit.

Supergluing my hand to my willy and then having to go to A&E to get it unstuck.  I swear every nurse in the place came in to have a look.

This is a story that requires elucidating. Enquiring minds etc.

Hi,

I'm sure that the person involved with this story will mind, particularly that it was my fault!

My Clubs 'O' Gauge group had just returned with Blandford St. Mary from the Peterborough Show on the Sunday evening, while unloading the van, I took the smallest board (around 2ft x 2ft) and placed it opposite the lift to be loaded in and then went and helped my dad and another member bring one of the big 6ft boards in.

Well, getting the board into the lift required moving around abit and in the course of this, the guy on the other end of the board walked backwards into the small board opposite the lift and fell ONTO it, lucky he was damaged nor did he drop the board he was carrying. The board he sat on was part of the platform, it wasn't damaged apart from the backscene snapped off, but it had a station lamp on it, thankfully the coffin board that was on top of it was there otherwise this member would of had a rather pointy lamp up his behind!

It was my fault and now is cause for some laughter up the club!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Next, taking 7 coaches in a box downstairs, didnt see the cat run in between my legs.  Resultant tumble down the stairs saw 4 coaches absolutely wrecked.  Scrapped.  Still.  have 3 left that are now in hiding.

I hope the cat's OK...... or is that also in hiding?

Cheers,

Mick

Shunting a brand new Hornby shark clear off the layout and watching it plunge to the bare concrete floor.

This incident caused the building a small retaining wall around the layout to prevent any future mishaps...

Only to do the same thing a couple of years later with a fresh from the box Hornby horsebox...

I saw the impending disaster, panicked and turned the knob on the DC controller in the wrong direction...

With the inevitable result that it was rammed, at great speed, onto, up and over the wall...

It now sits folornly atop a motive power cabinet - minus a buffer and some fiddly bits.

It fared remarkably well when you consider the punishment it had been subjected to..

Now I wonder, seeing that all things tend to come in threes, what will be the third disaster?

Do I have some subconscious latent desire to destroy all things Hornby?

Perhaps I should be having nightmares of a brand new 2 Bil taking a dive into the abyss...???

• RMweb Premium

Further to the willy/superglue incident above...

Geordies are weaned on curry, we eat a lot of it.  We grow our own hot, fresh chillies (you can see where this is going, can't you....).  NHN being a helpful husband is preparing a curry, chopping fresh chillies - cursory wash of hands and to the loo to pump the bilges.  Endure 15 minutes of agony, although Mrs NHN is impressed with the resultant swelling.

Moral: wash hands VERY thoroughly after chopping chillies! And then again!

I haven't done it again, a lesson learned.

• RMweb Premium

Further to the willy/superglue incident above...

Geordies are weaned on curry, we eat a lot of it.  We grow our own hot, fresh chillies (you can see where this is going, can't you....).  NHN being a helpful husband is preparing a curry, chopping fresh chillies - cursory wash of hands and to the loo to pump the bilges.  Endure 15 minutes of agony, although Mrs NHN is impressed with the resultant swelling.

Moral: wash hands VERY thoroughly after chopping chillies! And then again!

I haven't done it again, a lesson learned.

At least you didn't rub your eyes, as I did when cutting chillies.

• RMweb Gold

When Minnie, my Roundhouse Millie derailed on the York Model Engineering Societys line that's about 2ft above gravel and came to rest on crash barriers made of beer crates. I still don't know why the little pest decided to take off, she wasn't going too fast, the track join was good and there was nothing untoward on the line. For the rest of that running day I made sure I was next to her when crossing the bridge, as slowly as possible!

• RMweb Premium

I wandered into my railway room recently and put some papers on the nearest part of the layout, a curved baord with track close to the edge.

Later I decided to run my Silver Fox 10201 which has a homemade chassis in it, a steel bar 20*15 mm glued to the inside roof and a plactic chassis screwed to the bar with the motor and bogies from a Bachmann 46 screwed to the plastic with Kadee plastic screws.

It hit the paper at a fair speed and ran onto it then continued in a straight line, onto the floor.

The body shell has a small chip out of it but the weight of the steel bar snapped all the plastic screws and the motor and bogies came off, one cardan shaft bent on the joint.....

It is still sitting on my modeling shelf, I reassmbled it but it doens't run as well as it used to.

Roger

• RMweb Gold

When Bachmann first launched the Voyager in 4mm, I managed to buy the demo one from Liverpool Beatties (!!), Phil Sutton of REX fame also managed to get one, so we had two running on Widnes, these were the only two in the country on a model (Some other Beatties shops had one but they weren't supposed to sell them!) - we were at Bolton show (iirc).

At that time the panel at Widnes was a "real" NX, under contruction, we had built the unit but not finished the electrics, the route setting was still manual, controlled by IFS (switches) (the signals were dummy at that time).

Myself and Mike T decided we would run the Voyagers at high speed, passing on the front, we had crowds several deep (to see the Voyagers rather than Widnes I think), we cranked the speed up to full, timing it to perfection as they .... met in the middle of the facing crossover with a load BANG, with bits of plastic flying off - there was an audible intake of breath from the crowd (a sort of "wooOOOH" noise) and the whole show went silent for what seemed like forever but was probably only a few seconds.

Fortunately I managed to blame Mike for the incident (it wasn't me who'd left the points reversed, honest, it was Mike) and we did our first maintenance on the Voyagers (it was the valance which had simply pinged off, 2 minutes and they were good as new) - but from then on points were carefully checked before trains were run. The crowd did get deeper for a good while after as people wanted to see what had caused the noise.

When Haston visited Glasgow a couple of years ago, Chris G hadn't fitted an end-stop on the then newly-extended, front track - guess who found out the hard way by A ) being unfamiliar with DCC controllers, and  B ) reversing a pair of hoppers in there!  Hope there are end-stops on Florida City, Chris!!!PS we did find most of the bits - but I think a coupler vanished, never to be seen again :blush:

Only loosely connected with modelling, but a goodly number of years ago I was driving the club hired transport van - actually a Ford Cargo and having very neatly reversed it into a tight spot alongside a road sign with an 'overhead' light bracket, my 'banksman', watching the rear, suddenly and frantically hammered on the side of the van.

I instinctively jabbed the footbrake and yes you've guessed it the 'roll' of the body broke the lamp.

When I asked what the problem was he said 'I thought you were going to hit that sign...........'

My response - well I Bl**dy well have now.

Aaaargh !

Edited to move an extra l in welll to where it should've been at the end of rol

When Bachmann first launched the Voyager in 4mm, I managed to buy the demo one from Liverpool Beatties (!!), Phil Sutton of REX fame also managed to get one, so we had two running on Widnes, these were the only two in the country on a model (Some other Beatties shops had one but they weren't supposed to sell them!) - we were at Bolton show (iirc).

At that time the panel at Widnes was a "real" NX, under contruction, we had built the unit but not finished the electrics, the route setting was still manual, controlled by IFS (switches) (the signals were dummy at that time).

Myself and Mike T decided we would run the Voyagers at high speed, passing on the front, we had crowds several deep (to see the Voyagers rather than Widnes I think), we cranked the speed up to full, timing it to perfection as they .... met in the middle of the facing crossover with a load BANG, with bits of plastic flying off - there was an audible intake of breath from the crowd (a sort of "wooOOOH" noise) and the whole show went silent for what seemed like forever but was probably only a few seconds.

Fortunately I managed to blame Mike for the incident (it wasn't me who'd left the points reversed, honest, it was Mike) and we did our first maintenance on the Voyagers (it was the valance which had simply pinged off, 2 minutes and they were good as new) - but from then on points were carefully checked before trains were run. The crowd did get deeper for a good while after as people wanted to see what had caused the noise.

Hence why facing crossovers are avoided wherever possible on the real thing (single lead junctions excepted!).

My own "experiences":

Treading on a PECO buffer stop that had fallen on the floor a couple of days ago and hearing the sickening "crunch".

Running a Bachmann 08 I'd just bought/repainted/lined off the end of the fiddle yard and onto the floor at the Kenavon show two years ago (will try not to do that again a week on Saturday...).

Reversing a Mainline Manor into the fiddle yard of my old "shelf" layout some years ago, watching the tender somehow uncouple and roll with its own momentum the rest of the length of the shelf and down the 4' drop on to the floor, striking the headboard of a bed on the way down.... result a cracked tender side and broken footsteps.

Even longer ago in my trainset days, watching my sister having a turn at the controls whereupon she didn't notice that the brake van had come uncpupled and proceeded to run my Lima 94XX at full speed once round the circuit and into the back of it (don't think the tanks have sat quite right since!).

Various items of rolling stock derailing in spectacular fashion on my father's layout immediately opposite the loft hatch and falling "down the hole" - fortunately always sustaining lno permanent damage (so far at least!), despite  striking several rungs of the ladder on the way down.

Archived