Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

The queens park hotel my word. Thats been gone years now too.

Cheers for the thumbs up on the house. I was going to start on the stonework but its getting late and Im off to bed soon so decided against it before I end up in the early hours!

• RMweb Gold

The queens park hotel my word. Thats been gone years now too.

I know, talk about Bodgit feeling old :D

I had a mate who lived on Baden-Powell, so we used to end up at the Queens Park after a night in the Brad - they didn't keep strictly to licensing hours in them days ;)

Like Andy says, it's hard to believe the house is "N", it's a cracking job.

Haha the Brad was legendary. I used to fall out of there pretty much every Friday night and stumble upto my mates on Boythorpe. That club too is also gone in favour of housing. Whats the world coming to? Mind you I remember it being a snooker hall!

• Like 1

I have to say that they are not my photos, I stumbled across them whilst browsing Flickr the other day. As soon as I saw them I thought of Millers Dale.

If you have a few spare minutes I can recommend a visit to Jeremy Gould's Flickr site and if like me you enjoy looking at photos from the late 80s you won't be disappointed!

• Like 2

Yeah it smelled of black jacks really which were actually made from the waste bits of everything else melted and mixed together. What a legend of a sweet that was! Led to very little waste too of course. That was the smell of trainspotting for me.

Anyone else remember the smell from the sugar beet factory at Peterborough on a cold winters night waiting for the next Deltic ? Makes me want to throw up, even now.

Anyone else remember the smell from the sugar beet factory at Peterborough on a cold winters night waiting for the next Deltic ? Makes me want to throw up, even now.

You must have an amazing nose if you could smell that from Chesterfield 8-)

Edited by IanStock

Yes I remember all those things too. The EWS was the beginning of the end really. I hark back to the regular loco hauled cross country services, the class 31s on parcels and of course double headed 37s on steel. Cold and dark, steamy breath nights with a ticking 47 waiting for the mail bags to be chucked into its train of blue guvs and bgs from the wooden platform trollies while I sat drinking a beef soup from the platform drinks machine all to the smell of trebor sweets are what dreams are made of I can tell you.

Excellent! - a bang on summary which I am sure more than a few on here can relate to.

The nearest I can get to that nowadays is a visit to the ELR  - try it on a suitably late autumn afternoon with a loco of your choice on roster chuck in decent East Lancashire drizzly murk for good measure  close your eyes and your right back there.

Fantastic.

http://www.elrdiesel.info/

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1

I could certainly fancy a diesel day after that link Ian.

Anyway as a follow on from Andys post earlier here is that bg I was weathering at mansfield. The picture quality isnt great as the lighting in my dining room is rubbish since I had to change my bulb anyway comments welcome!!

post-6894-0-49608300-1394225411_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-59699400-1394225488_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 13

Btw Cav, following Cl.60 as I do, Peak Forest is familiar territory for me and as I also make mental notes of consists I can't recall seeing a uniform rake of same build RMC JGAs. As opposed to Tilcon's and BLI's trains which all seem to have the same diagram wagons within (clamshell door fitted IIRC).

Admittedly I am talking late 90s to now so you've probably done the homework for your period, but any plans to mix 'n' match types if appropriate? I recall seeing one rake that included a couple of TTAs tacked on the rear, possibly carrying water for dust suppression at the unloading terminal.

C6T.

The rake with the TTA wagons was the service to Bletchley and they would be loaded with premixed mortar, I worked this train for 8 years when based at rugby and the tanks were a right pain to unload.

Hi Cav

Was up in the peaks at the weekend but didn't get as far as Millers Dale unfortunately. What I did find though was a book called the Monsal trail Now and Then. Got from the gift shop at High Peak Junction. There are some really good photos in there including some good colour shots of Millers Dale. I'm travelling down to London at the moment so can't remember the publisher but it was printed in 2012. Definitely worth a look though.

Cheers

Marcus

The mortar was just the powders mixed, they were emptied with air pressure and it would clump up in the tank making it hard to shift. They have around 8 serviceable tank out of 16 I believe. They trialled running the tanks away from the stone train and were looking at running with 10 tanks but ended up with 2 back on the stone train. It was the only booked 60 work at rugby until there run down. The jga wagons were a lot better than the iia's that replaced them.

Ok so the VEA body is mega expensive! (For what it is). However Im considering getting one adding a roof and then resin casting in multiple to get the cost per item down. Would such a van body be interesting to anyone else?

I'm catching up on the site again - including Millers Dale and I,ve just come across your plans for a VEA. This is the van I need for my S&C 79-83 layout.  Unfortunately for just the body the initial quote is expensive but let me know how things work out. A roof included would be good although I don't mind providing the chassis. Depending on the price I'd be interested in the VEA- to add to existing trains and to start replacing some of the current inaccurate planked GWR vans etc. 

With regard to the layout... I never fail to be impressed by what you achieve N Gauge and hope I can get to see the finished layout at an exhibition, at some time in the future..

Alan

Well thanks for the interest. I can get it printed and then add a roof and cast them in resin as a direct drop onto the peco chassis, would only need painting then and youre done. But would need enough interest in the body to have a mould made as that isnt the cheapest thing in the world. Thanks for the kind comments. Its progressing rather slowly at the moment and really I need to build a garden workshop to house it before I can really crack on.

Edited by RBE

I also had the hst couplers back. They have turned out a little long I think as the Dapol coaches can take closer coupling due to the cam on the nem. I will shorten them a little and make available.

post-6894-0-15965300-1394790897_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-12802000-1394790922_thumb.jpg

• Like 12