RMweb

Project 43 - The North British B-B Warships

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

One more to add to the never blue group, 838 Rapid withdrawn in maroon with FYE, one of my favourites at the time.  Note to Bachmann, please make this one of the next batch.

Best regards

Of course! Many thanks for the reminder - so that reduces the field down to 29 blue ones. Did mention to Trevor at CMC that D838 would make an excellent Limited edition for exactly that reason - not sure he took the bait though! And quite why Swindon shopped her in repainted maroon when they had already shopped others in blue remains a mystery....

At least one of our initial maroon purchases will become a MFYE - a choice from D834/8/42/44!

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Re Phil's comments on printed nameplates being larger than the newly fitted etched ones.

A trick I used on one of my Heljan Westerns which has printed plates that are larger than some etched plates from at least one manufacturer (e.g. Fox). I used a sharp scriber to very carefully remove the excess printed decal - "catching" the edge of the decal and gently removing. It resulted in a perfect removal without needing T-cut stripping the original decal which always results in a glossy surface, which would need varnishing.

One of the later Bachmann 42s D812, Royal Naval Reserve of course was the largest of all Warship plates and a bit of a pain to remove - I have one of these awaiting renumbering. I'm sure my Royal Oak will need similar treatment.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Oh my!!! That is wonderful! is it my imagination or are the nameplates better on the red and green versions?

And be careful about installing those roof vents facing in the right direction - don't copy 865 on here!!!

Phil

Was trying to encourage you to do your own research there Ben!

840 & 848 are out too as they went for scrap in maroon but all the others were blue

Are you prepared to go back to the early blue livery with 4 arrows, one under each cab? That's another factor

Phil

My preference is to renumber the BR Blue version to D810 Cockade 

That's not a Class 43, to do that you'd need Bachmann's previous Class 42.

You are absolutely correct - just wanting to see who was awake at this time.

Warship Class 43 no. 855 Triumph was seen at Hayle Wharves on 13 August 1971 so I think this one would be a good one to chose.

• RMweb Premium

They're coming here anyway but judgement reserved on livery rendition until seen.  The promotional video may well have been filmed under strong lighting distorting the appearance but to my eyes the blue appears pale and the maroon rather purple.  And should there be orange multiple working covers on class 43?  

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Gold

And should there be orange multiple working covers on class 43?  

Only the right hand socket was orange or more likely buffer beam red, the left hand plug looks to have been black or green. The MW cables started being removed around 1964, but a handful had them reinstated around 1968/69, e.g. D857. I can't recall seeing a maroon loco with them fitted, but a photo reference is advised!

6146525601_10127aafbd_b.jpg584 by Alan Curtis, on Flickr

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

And be careful about installing those roof vents facing in the right direction - don't copy 865 on here!!!

Phil

What is the correct arrangement? Something like this?

/ /   \ \  /  \  / /   \ \

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6309613233/in/album-72157627920981333/would seem to agree with that

Bur then take a look at

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6310136322/in/album-72157627920981333/

and

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6309614293/in/album-72157627920981333/

Uh 0h! What was their hinging arrangement I wonder - could they open either way?

Phil

I guess that's possible Phil but at best the arrangement seems to be 'variable', I can't remember which example I chose for the positioning of the review sample now!

• RMweb Gold

My preference is to renumber the BR Blue version to D810 Cockade

"Cockade" was Swindon built 1959 delivered with disc codes originally....in plain green....shock horror.Spotted by me brand spanking new on 3/09/1959 outside Swindon works.....same day as I copped "Deltic" at King's Cross.
  • Like 1

A question was asked about class 43s being worked out of Waterloo. Alan Newman who was at nine elms and waterloo has confirmed that they didn't sign the 43s. He told me amusing stories about being a second man he was in the habit of putting his feet over the fault lights which were on his side. This was because nervous drivers would want to stop so he would only move his feet when they were past Clapham Junction. if you left the roof vents open in the wrong direction you would get exhaust sucked back in through them. when passing through tunnels the floor mats would tend to lift and the cab would be full of dust. he said that the 42s were very variable some were great others absolute basket cases.

Edited by banburysaint

• RMweb Premium

A question was asked about class 43s being worked out of Waterloo. Alan Newman who was at nine elms and waterloo has confirmed that they didn't sign the 43s. He told me amusing stories about being a second man he was in the habit of putting his feet over the fault lights which were on his side. This was because nervous drivers would want to stop so he would only move his feet when they were past Clapham Junction. if you left the roof vents open in the wrong direction you would get exhaust sucked back in through them. when passing through tunnels the floor mats would tend to lift and the cab would be full of dust. he said that the 42s were very variable some were great others absolute basket cases.

These two posts seem to have missed out on further comment, but it would appear that the vents open both ways and should all be open the same way. So if we model them open to be totally realistic we should then only run the locks one way except for shunting?

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

These two posts seem to have missed out on further comment, but it would appear that the vents open both ways and should all be open the same way. So if we model them open to be totally realistic we should then only run the locks one way except for shunting?

They seem to be the same way in this view:

2335387685_b4abf6a600.jpg842_Exeter_30-7-71 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

But not in this one:

2318676772_9f5e953b26.jpg842_Undated by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Or this one:

2410037639_b6496448a2.jpgD858_Teignmouth by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Certain ex-Southern drivers became quite adept at putting the worst of the 42s that got dumped onto the Exeter-Waterloo route out of their misery.

I once rode behind one that received the coup de grace departing from Whimple - downhill.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

That is how i understood it from Alan. He is on nights and then rest days, so i have sent him an email as i wont see him until the middle of next week. When i have confirmed i will post on here. 

Good call Robert, and worth noting the minor difference between the two in that D847's numbers were placed closer to the doors than those on D846. It's not often mentioned in the various Hydraulic books etc, but 846 also went on to receive the final version of blue / full yellow ends with the logo below the nameplate and corporate number style on the cabsides, minus the D prefixes, this would make an intersting model from Bachman 43...

post-7638-0-91120600-1437135902_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

^^

What is that boiler in the background of the photo above? Is it from a Dean Goods? Didn't know it was still extant in 1971.

It might have come from a pannier although the dome looks rather large.  But don't forget there were stationary boilers all over the place and many were ex-loco boilers which could have survived for a long time after their chassis had ceased to exist.

• RMweb Gold

This would be a good livery variation for a future release, and a style unique to Class 43s (846 and 847):

2176214506_883271f8fb.jpgD847_TivertonJunction_9-4-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Nice shot Robert! 842 will be rapidly morphing in to this livery as D847 when it arrives

Work to do? Nameplate logo and numbers off, loose those headcode vents, OHLE flashes on nose moved up....

And there are no drivers name card holders on any of the Bacchy versions - some etched brass 1/32 .5 calibre ammo belt clips are a good representation if we can find any.....

Renumber, logo, flashes and nameplates... varnish and light weathering, hope that nice new windscreen comes out easily.

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock