Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

I've changed the address on my DBSO to the same as my 47/7  and now I'm trying to re assign the functions for interior lights from F2-4 to F15-F17 (free on my Loksound chip) using a Lokprogrammer. However when i send the commands to change the Lokprogammer software crashes. Has anybody managed anything similar?

As an aside when you read thte decoder on the lokprogrammer it comes up as type Bachmann Mk2F.

It's possible that function mapping for F15 to F17 although available on the Loksound decoder, is perhaps not available on the the integrated coach decoder.  Don't see the logic of having the DBSO and a 47/7 with the same address, unless of course you don't intend using any other 47/7 loco with the DBSO ? Easier to give the DBSO it's running no as an address ie 9701 etc that way you don't need to change the F Keys and it could then also be run with any 47/47/7. 

The Loksound comes up with options to F28 available, the decoder in the DBSO comes up with options to F20 so i assumed they were available. Maybe they're not!

I only have 1 47/7 so planned on it being a fixed formation. A different address would give me options to occasionally change the loco at the other end. I like the idea of changing the direction the loco is heading and the lights at the other end changing automatically as well.

The Loksound comes up with options to F28 available, the decoder in the DBSO comes up with options to F20 so i assumed they were available. Maybe they're not!

I only have 1 47/7 so planned on it being a fixed formation. A different address would give me options to occasionally change the loco at the other end. I like the idea of changing the direction the loco is heading and the lights at the other end changing automatically as well.

If up to F20 is shown on the Lokprog for the DBSO coach it should be possible

You commented "changed the address of the DBSO to the same as your 47/7" hence I suggested the other option. ...

Another thing to consider, when propelling stock with DBSO leading, only the tail lights on the loco should be ON this not being possible, as the tail light tank switch can only turn the tails OFF not ON on their own as supplied.

Modifying the wiring to allow for directional independent F Key tail light control will solve that issue...

Gents

Thank you for the responses regarding programming the DBSO. Great that my ESU ECoS read the decoder no problem, well thought out Bachmann!

My only disappointment is that the installed decoder is only capable of taking a 3 digit address.

Having said that, what a superb model and, hopefully, the impending Oxford Rail Scotrail Mk3 coaches will match the livery

John

• RMweb Premium

Gents

Thank you for the responses regarding programming the DBSO. Great that my ESU ECoS read the decoder no problem, well thought out Bachmann!

My only disappointment is that the installed decoder is only capable of taking a 3 digit address.

Having said that, what a superb model and, hopefully, the impending Oxford Rail Scotrail Mk3 coaches will match the livery

John

Thats strange. I have successfully reprogrammed my ScotRail DBSO to its 4 digit number 9707. I currently use a Powercab. Awaiting a replacement for my Blue Grey one (some paint damage on the roof) and will be doing the same with that.

PJ10 

Thats strange. I have successfully reprogrammed my ScotRail DBSO to its 4 digit number 9707. I currently use a Powercab. Awaiting a replacement for my Blue Grey one (some paint damage on the roof) and will be doing the same with that.

PJ10

Thanks for that PJ10 - will give it another go then, obviously two ESU products not working well together?

John

Some post ago, someone said Bachmann cannot do the more modern DBSOs. If anyone at Warley this weekend can ask and report back, as I am sure I am not alone in wanting a DRS DBSO before the Cumbrian finishes (as soon as December I am told). Least the DBSOs have been used here in Anglia too, and shall likely appear again by July's end. 

seen these for the first time today in the flesh and they are superb models.....I couldnt quite splash out on any this time round but I saw a few people buying the non dcc coaches for about £46.

looking at the collectors under the bogies I cant see how you could open up the B2B to EM gauge.  Has anybody done this as I would imagine spreading the wheels out would mean the pint points binding?

• RMweb Gold

I continue to be thrilled at how these coaches capture the character of the prototype (taking me right back to my childhood in the 1970s!)  But the method of current collection is not infallible, and I have seen a lot of flicker from the lights (and my track is kept spotless and the affected coach wheels are clean).  So, does anyone on here know whether the coach has the facility to accept a stay-alive capacitor?  

This post on YouTube demonstrates the problem; note the first of the 3 FOs (which reminds me of a journey from Cardiff to Paddington in an unlit and unheated FO on a cold January night many years ago - the thrill of the sound of the class 50 kept my heart warm however!)

Edited by uk_pm
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Just took delivery of a blue-grey DBSO and while looking at photos on the web spotted a few detail differences which I share below. 

No door cover: 

https://daverowland.smugmug.com/Platform5-Railway-Books/Platform5-Coaching-Stock/i-LF9kgST/A

The carriage is scruffy, so has clearly been in service without the end door, as is this one: 

http://railworks2.ru/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=656&start=2480

(The cover is removable on the Bachmann model by the way.) 

In the last picture in this set the yellow door cover is just visible on the Deltic-hauled special to Oban in August 1981, something I wondered about. This working will be modellable now thanks to Accurascale: 

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/21_23-8-81.htm

1981 (dangly TDM cables, and door cover fitted): 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/16314274349

Unknown date (lettered Inter-City Scotrail [sic.], both with warning flashes on different window) 

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/dbso%2Cscotrail/Timeline and https://www.flickr.com/photos/44232489@N02/7772033030

9702 certainly carried this livery variant. 

Ditto (number 9706?) 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwidvJX65PLeAhUPWBoKHe40D3oQjhx6BAgBEAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rmweb.co.uk%2Fcommunity%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F429-scottish-region-photos-1980s%2Fpage-16&psig=AOvVaw2sju1nfhGdfDZcOt6QFFP3&ust=1543346445037020

Weather-beaten and with a replacement headlight:  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/18330658263/

Finally, ScotRail livery but with black surrounds to centre window (note the second windscreen wiper - very rare)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33923448@N02/25124712141

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 1

I think it's the P5 cover that's scruffy, and not the coach!.  We had the covers fitted within the months of the service launch (following driver complaints) - the Second photo, again without the cover was taken during the BR Derby / Brush trials of the two-wire control system before the service started (DBSO 9703) - RMwebber' St Enodoc will know better than I where it is - he was probably on the loco or the set at the time...

Those without the LPA boxes on the cab front that held the RCH jumpers were added (I thought, during 1980 - but I'd need to check) to be sure, to prevent the ingress of water - which had a rather nasty effect on the control signals - particularly on the 47/7's but they were added to the DBSO as a precaution) - the cables should enter from the top of the orange LPA box.

The addition of ScotRail after the original InterCity branding was a Chris Green thing - kind of like a cat marking its territory and before the rebranding / re-livery post March? 1984...

Edited by Bob Reid

Does anyone know the number of any of the DBSOs that made it to Oban with 55021 on the two merrymaker trips? I've been trying to find this out for years. I've seen many photos and even bought slides but never found out the number/s (Full rake info would be perfect but I'd settle for just the DBSO :)

according to Six Bells Jn website the formation was 12018, 12007, 12051, 12015, 1857, 12025, 11008, 9703 :sungum:

Excellent Thanks for that. It must have been two different sets on each trip because the only photo i've been able to roughly work out a number is on here - http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/21_2-8-81.htm and it looks like either 12006 or 12008

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know the number of any of the DBSOs that made it to Oban with 55021 on the two merrymaker trips? I've been trying to find this out for years. I've seen many photos and even bought slides but never found out the number/s (Full rake info would be perfect but I'd settle for just the DBSO :)

Two 55021 "West Highlands Tour", 3rd August and 23rd August 1981. 23rd stock was

12018+12007+12051+12015+1857+12025+11008+9703 as quoted above. I am not aware of the stock used 3rd August.

Two 55021 "West Highlands Tour", 3rd August and 23rd August 1981. 23rd stock was

12018+12007+12051+12015+1857+12025+11008+9703 as quoted above. I am not aware of the stock used 3rd August.

Thanks, but like you say that stock list was mentioned earlier and the one on the 2nd (not 3rd) I've found was the 9701 set

The blue-grey push-pull sets were also used on trips to Oban (?) behind ETHELS and 37s - pictures in Colin Boocock's excellent British Rail at Work: Scotrail. Can't remember if it has any pics of the Deltic tours in.

At least nine appear to have run during July. & September 1983 between Edinburgh & Oban. for example see https://flic.kr/p/pBWiiF All it would appear using 37081 (Loch Long), Ethel 1 ADB97250 various push pull sets and DBSO's....  More info available on Six Bells Junction.....

21353194202_cb3cd5b737_h.jpg19830717_049: 37081 & ADB97250 at Oban by Gary Thornton, on Flickr

Different photo's state there was a run on 31/7/83. It appears to be missing on the Six Bells Junction site on that date., but Gary's shot here is correct for 17/7/83 and includes DBSO 9705

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 5

I continue to be thrilled at how these coaches capture the character of the prototype (taking me right back to my childhood in the 1970s!)  But the method of current collection is not infallible, and I have seen a lot of flicker from the lights (and my track is kept spotless and the affected coach wheels are clean).  So, does anyone on here know whether the coach has the facility to accept a stay-alive capacitor?  

This post on YouTube demonstrates the problem; note the first of the 3 FOs (which reminds me of a journey from Cardiff to Paddington in an unlit and unheated FO on a cold January night many years ago - the thrill of the sound of the class 50 kept my heart warm however!)

The lighting strips used in the MK2f coaches appear ? to be ESU sourced (at least that's what comes up on a  ESU Lokprog)  It may ?  be possible to add a stay alive capacitor, but it's very odd these were not fitted as standard.

ESU DCC on board coach lighting strips come already fitted with a small buffer capacitor to stop light flicker etc, and provision to add a larger one if required. They also feature many lighting variables, soft start, fluorescent flicker, switchable groups of LED's etc and wired tail light Led's.  Perhaps a better option to use these with NON DCC MK2f's, along with other coaches.

50700_50708_ohne_neubutton_02.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I was actually looking at one of the blue/gray DBSO's when I was in London last month, and I was tempted to buy one. I didn't, but the more I see them, the more the temptation grows.

Where were they used?

Their main usage was on the Glasgow QS - Edinburgh Push-Pull Express Services, they were also used on Glasgow QS - Aberdeen services.

the strips might be based on ESU but I suspect the ones in these coaches are bespoke for each application.  Take the RFM for example with its counter area lights or the guards van area on the BSO being slightly offset with the corridor etc....

not sure how much they cost but hardly seems worth buying a non dcc fitted coach and retro fitting a light strip cost wise.....I expect each one is around £15 then you have to wire them to the pick ups......