Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

• RMweb Gold

A few were asking how they compared to other models;

Against the Bachmann MK1 BG (the MK1 still appears slightly too high in my opinion) :

Larger view:

Against the Bachmann MK2A:

Against the Hornby MK2D:

Overall it's not too bad but it is a shame that the Bachmann models don't match up more accurately. I would've hoped this was quite an important part of the QA process when producing models all to the same scale. 

This is an issue that arises frequently. Until all agree on a standardised coupling height it will continue to do so.

But the problem seems worse within the manufacturer. The Bachman Mk2F looks fine against the Hornby 2D, but sits much lower than Bachmann's Mk1.

It was common for Mk1's to run with Mk2s, particularly Mk1 buffets in a Mk2 rake, but it would look a bit odd with the buffet sticking up a bit more than the others.

• RMweb Premium

I dunno. You wait 5 Years and then they all come at once !

post-22167-0-89178900-1541704852_thumb.jpg

post-22167-0-63339400-1541704916_thumb.jpg

A rake of 10 Inter City and 10 + DBSO Blue/Grey along with the 4 POT TPO's.

The wife's out getting her hair done so I've managed to smuggle them into the house without difficulty. The hard part will be explaining that Christmas is now cancelled due to lack of funds.

The DBSO is a work of pure beauty and I can't wait for the ScotRail ones to arrive.

• Like 13

Out of curiosity has there ever been a review of the murphys models mk2s v/s say the most recent issues of mk2's ? As liveries aside they look a nice model, and I wonder if murphys ever considered a blue grey run ? Or did they have enough demand from their local market in Ireland?

This months Model Rail has them reviewed in the same magazine - in a passing comparison the 2f won (of course these are very subjective reviews where everything scores 95/100 or thereabouts - and your mileage may vary)! The Murphy's Air Con Mk2's however would need a significant amount of re-tooling to look anything like a BR Mk2d e or f....

Bob

The blue and grey one is a model of the preserved RFM running on main line charter services today so does correctly carry central door locking lights.

No RFM Mk2f ever ran on BR in regular service in blue and grey.

I've just noticed this - I had assumed that all of the blue/grey coaches were too early for the privatisation era and I'd be waiting for the next batch before considering a purchase.  Do you know which charter company operates this coach and what dates it carried the blue/grey livery?

I've just noticed this - I had assumed that all of the blue/grey coaches were too early for the privatisation era and I'd be waiting for the next batch before considering a purchase.  Do you know which charter company operates this coach and what dates it carried the blue/grey livery?

Riviera Trains' "Blue Grey" rake, as seen in this image from Flickr

31501158040_5d0b724a41_k.jpgBR Blue/Grey Coffins in 2016 by Haymarket, on Flickr

• Like 5

Don't know if this belongs here but as someone who doesn't use the supplied couplers, instead preferring the Fleischmann Profi couplers, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the NEM pockets on these coaches are at the correct height. Still just a little bit too far in, but using the adjustable couplers works just fine.

Further to the previous reply - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1N3fDHeKwc

• Like 1

I dunno. You wait 5 Years and then they all come at once !

attachicon.gifIMG_20181108_185557.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20181108_184322.jpg

A rake of 10 Inter City and 10 + DBSO Blue/Grey along with the 4 POT TPO's.

The wife's out getting her hair done so I've managed to smuggle them into the house without difficulty. The hard part will be explaining that Christmas is now cancelled due to lack of funds.

The DBSO is a work of pure beauty and I can't wait for the ScotRail ones to arrive.

I misread that as, “The wife is tearing her hair out.” She could have saved the money on getting her hair done – she’ll probably tear it out anyhow. Perhaps she’ll tear yours out instead! That is quite a collection. Enjoy it!

Tip No.1 - All of the Bachmann 2f's are fitted with removable buffers.  As they come (and like other Bachmann Mk1's and 2's) they are modelled in the short (retracted) position as would be used between vehicles with auto couplers / Pullman type gangways in use. 

In the small accessory pack are two additional buffer heads - these are not "spares" as such, but have longer stems to represent buffers in the long (extended) position with a representation of the buffer saddle as used for example, on the furthest end of the first and last vehicles in a rake.

The long buffer heads don't have to be fitted - the coaches will couple without them being installed but are handy if you run fixed rakes for a slightly more prototypical look.  

In the case of the DBSO, they come as the prototype ran in service, with one end (the cab) having them in the long position, and the other in the short position so no additional heads are provided.

post-6691-0-48262700-1541785008_thumb.jpg

The buffer head on the left are those fitted by default, the (short) retracted ones, and on the right, the replacement (long) extended one - the short heads can be fitted any way round however the long ones have a definite side with a stem that looks thicker when viewed from above to represent the fitted saddle casting - they should be fitted with the thicker side up.  (sadly only carriage nutters would spot that one)!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anyone managed/care to reveal how they got the body off these MK2F's without damage ?  Tried the usual strips of thin card  between the chassis and body to release the 4 clips but still no movement. Also checked there was no hidden screws under the bogies - nope.... is the chassis perhaps also held in by the corridor connectors ?  must be missing something........ the Hornby MK2E being a doddle in comparison......

It was also mentioned previously that the chassis were brownish - my examples are all black - different batches perhaps ? 

TIA

Ken

Edited by tractor_37260

It should be relatively easy Ken.  

Tip No.2 - I used eight (force of habit from past experience) thin pieces of plasticard slipped between the body and underframe moulding - they need to be inserted though where the underframe clips onto the glazing moulding.  There are four clips on each side - two just inboard of the door edges at each corner, and another two between them equally spaced between the outer two.  Once these are freed, the underframe moulding should pull cleanly up from the body - if they are the DCC versions, watch out for the cable linking the two mouldings.

post-6691-0-65864900-1541794334_thumb.jpg

Red arrows - are where the body clips are (and repeated along the other side), and the blue arrow shows the connector for the feed from the bogies to the DCC board on the roof.

There are brown underframes on the Blue & Grey stock (for pre-1978). The preserved RFB and the DBSO are black (post 1978) as are the Executive, Swallow and ScotRail liveries should all be black.

Bob.

{Edit to add photo]

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 1

My "mitts" got hold of a DBSO today and the box flew open and some how the contents landed on some test track with a digital controller and could'nt help but play with the functions - oooooooh it so nice. Then i looked at the price and the friendly shop manager convinced me I needed one but some how the box ended up back on the shelf. I'm waiting for the Scotrail version which is next month.

• RMweb Premium

I know I've asked this question before (though I can't find it even though I've tried searching here and via Google site: search) but can someone remind me which of the aircon Mk2s were used on inter-regional services to Bournemouth in the early to mid 1980s? I seem to remember someone said it was 2Ds and not 2Es or Fs, but I'm not sure now.

It should be relatively easy Ken.  

Tip No.2 - I used eight (force of habit from past experience) thin pieces of plasticard slipped between the body and underframe moulding - they need to be inserted though where the underframe clips onto the glazing moulding.  There are four clips on each side - two just inboard of the door edges at each corner, and another two between them equally spaced between the outer two.  Once these are freed, the underframe moulding should pull cleanly up from the body - if they are the DCC versions, watch out for the cable linking the two mouldings.

attachicon.gifBody Clips.jpg

Red arrows - are where the body clips are (and repeated along the other side), and the blue arrow shows the connector for the feed from the bogies to the DCC board on the roof.

There are brown underframes on the Blue & Grey stock (for pre-1978). The preserved RFB and the DBSO are black (post 1978) as are the Executive, Swallow and ScotRail liveries should all be black.

Bob.

{Edit to add photo]

Many thanks Bob that's very helpful will have another go later on today..black chassis on Exec FO & B/G DBSO therefore being correct....

Tip No.3  (from a question asked in another topic) about the two different blanking plugs supplied with the DCC versions...

As they come from Bachmann, the 2F’s are provided with two blanking plugs1 to fit to the holes in the body ends where the tail lamp would be.  One of them has a hook, and one hasn’t.

post-6691-0-92321800-1541848062_thumb.jpg

The only difference is that the one with the (un-prototypical) hook is provided to make it easy to pull the plug back out in the event that you want to fit the tail lamp.  The other plug does not have the hook but just a representation of the real lamp bracket. 

According to the instructions it could be difficult to get the plain (non-hooked) plug back out once installed i.e. making it difficult to later remove and fit a tail lamp.

If you are not fitting the tail lamp to the vehicle the best plan would be to fit the plain (non-hooked) one to the end with the roof cover, and the hooked one to the opposite i.e. non-roof cover end.

As they come from the factory the DCC models have the non-roof cover end designated as the (rear) trailing end so that end is the one you might at some point put a tail lamp on, putting the hooked one there will make it easy to remove the plug and fit the lamp.

This only applies where you've left the DCC allocation of the front and rear of the vehicle as it comes from the factory -   If you've altered that via CV29, then you will need to alter the position of the "rear" hooked plate to suit.

1 That is according to the instructions provided however the FO came with four plugs - two hooked and two not -  they are tiny with a capital 'T' and are therefore very attractive to the carpet magnet, so spares are handy.

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s the height difference between the mk1 stock that’s bugging me, it looks ridiculous. More modifications to put something right, I had a look at the mk1 bogie and some major hacking required to lower it.

Agreed. I'm planning on replacing the bogies on a MK1 BG with B4 bogies at some point to see if this makes a difference - am I right in thinking this happened in reality to some BGs to enable 100mph running?

Agreed. I'm planning on replacing the bogies on a MK1 BG with B4 bogies at some point to see if this makes a difference - am I right in thinking this happened in reality to some BGs to enable 100mph running?

Worth trying that, good idea might swop some later and post pic.

• RMweb Premium

I know I've asked this question before (though I can't find it even though I've tried searching here and via Google site: search) but can someone remind me which of the aircon Mk2s were used on inter-regional services to Bournemouth in the early to mid 1980s? I seem to remember someone said it was 2Ds and not 2Es or Fs, but I'm not sure now.

Mostly, but not exclusively, Mk2e.

• RMweb Premium

Talking of Hattons, does anyone know when they will get a delivery of the B&G DBSOs?

Thanks,

Steve

They should have them, as it's in most stockists. I picked mine up on Thursday from Trident Trains.

Just the ScotRail DBSO's that have still to make an appearance.

Opened up my collection to examine/test them all this morning. They are a superb rake of coaches.