Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

I assume you have to take the DBSO apart to change decoder address or change CVs so you can get a load on the decoder.

Have any of you done this yet and,if so, any tips regarding taking coach apart etc

Thanks

John

No need to take it apart to change the address or CV's .I managed to read the default address (03) on the programming track with no added load resistor or loco etc.  I also altered the interior lighting brightness using POM - this lets you view changes instantly  - CV118 controls the interior brightness -(range 1-7) factory setting is 7 I found 2 or 3 more suitable.

HTH

Edited by tractor_37260

As I am running it the DCC, DBSOs on DC, and the rest of the rake have no lighting I would like to be able not to have the interior lights on, anyone know if it is possible to switch off / isolate all of the lights except the directional lights?

As I am running it the DCC, DBSOs on DC   ??

Confusing.........

Anyway - If your using DCC then yes you can turn the cab and all interior lights OFF with F Keys F2 3 and 4.  All lighting will work as supplied on DC by default, you could disable DC use via CV29, but this will turn all lighting OFF including the cab markers/tails.

Possibly the only other option for DC use to keep the cab front lighting working but turn off all interior lighting would be to alter/disconnect the interior lighting wiring. 

HTH

As I am running it the DCC, DBSOs on DC   ??

Confusing.........

Anyway - If your using DCC then yes you can turn the cab and all interior lights OFF with F Keys F2 3 and 4.  All lighting will work as supplied on DC by default, you could disable DC use via CV29, but this will turn all lighting OFF including the cab markers/tails.

Possibly the only other option for DC use to keep the cab front lighting working but turn off all interior lighting would be to alter/disconnect the interior lighting wiring. 

HTH

Oops sorry for the typo. Still delirious over getting my hands on a couple of DBSOs.

Meant to say I am running the DCC, DBSOs on a DC layout.  Am hoping there are plugs inside which can be disconnected to turn the lights of the seating area off. 

Alternatively if I speak nicely to a friend with DCC and get him to turn the light intensity right down on the seating area, will it stay turned down when I run it on DC?

No need to take it apart to change the address or CV's .I managed to read the default address (03) on the programming track with no added load resistor or loco etc.  I also altered the interior lighting brightness using POM - this lets you view changes instantly  - CV118 controls the interior brightness -(range 1-7) factory setting is 7 I found 2 or 3 more suitable.

HTH

Many thanks - I will give this a try now that my coaches have arrived.

Regards

John

Oops sorry for the typo. Still delirious over getting my hands on a couple of DBSOs.

Meant to say I am running the DCC, DBSOs on a DC layout.  Am hoping there are plugs inside which can be disconnected to turn the lights of the seating area off. 

Alternatively if I speak nicely to a friend with DCC and get him to turn the light intensity right down on the seating area, will it stay turned down when I run it on DC?

Maybe a part solution, once you get access to a DCC system - on the DBSO set these CV's all to - CV116  / CV117 /  CV118  (default is 7 in each of them) this won't turn off the LED's fully, but they are now very dim, hard to notice as being on at all in a room with lighting/ or during the day. The cab markers and tails are not affected, and still work normally.

Once the above changes are made, when then placed on a DC track - the interior lighting although still on, will remain very dim.....and unless you run in total darkness, will barely be noticeable....

HTH

Ken

My Scotrail DBSO arrived from Rails today. Here's a quick video of it shot this afternoon showing different lighting functions. It also shows the other Bachmann goodies which came in the package. All were just taken out the boxes and placed on the track!

The level of detail on the DBSO is something! It ran well while being pushed by Bachmann 47/7 and 4 (HST) Mk3s.

https://youtu.be/j6DBU35SG-M

Just have to hope Oxford Rail have the same colours on their Scotrail carriages!

interesting that the dimness control doesnt affect the exterior lights - Bachmann either thought that out in advance or its a very good but lucky outcome.

pity the lighting on the new Hornby 87s is not so well thought out........

Yes and separate lights in the guard’s compartment!

Hornby’s 87s are good by many accounts. It would be good if Hornby were to show a little enterprise and redesign the PCB and wiring in future production runs. DCC controllable cab lights and separate control of the headlight and marker lights would impress. Lack of separately controllable tail lights is not acceptable in today’s market.

quicky - does anybody have a BSO (dcc on board) in their possession?  would love to see some pics and does it light up in a similar way to the DBSO (minus the cab light) with passenger and guards cabins on separate functions or that just either on or off? 

(Im aware they all have the tail lamps and blanking plates)

Edited by ThaneofFife

• RMweb Premium

quicky - does anybody have a BSO (dcc on board) in their possession?  would love to see some pics and does it light up in a similar way to the DBSO (minus the cab light) with passenger and guards cabins on separate functions or that just either on or off? 

(Im aware they all have the tail lamps and blanking plates)

The passenger and guards sections are individually controlled (F4 and F5 I think from memory)

Can't do pics as mine are all packed away awaiting for the layout to one day be built.

• RMweb Gold

That’s right. The guards van and passenger saloons lights are separately controlled. Mines a Christmas gift so it’s packed away too, but F4 and F5 sound right from when I had it tested in the shop. And how good it looked too!

Regards,

Rob.

Fleischmann Profi couplers are what I use. I have selected the adjustable version for my Mk2F coaches so I can run them with my other UK rolling stock without interference. Works great, but that does however leave a gap when coupling two Mk2F's together.

post-15349-0-44857100-1542919974_thumb.jpg

However, substituting one of the adjustable ones for a regular Profi coupler gives a much better result:

post-15349-0-25905200-1542920189_thumb.jpg

Downside to that is that they won't couple on straight track. But they do still work without any issues. There is a gap between the gangways, still, but it's not a big one.

Edited by LU_fan
  • Like 2

DBSOs, just like buses, you wait for ages for one to come along then two appear at once!

Home early from work straight into the loft for a few circuits, 47708 pushing.

First look seems to match Lima Mk3 light grey ok.

Operating on DC.

Yes those old Lima MK3's match the DBSO well, they managed to get the colours near enough correct 20 odd years ago.......perhaps OX Rail will be revealing at Warley what we can expect......? 

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on closer couplings? I've used the brake pipe style couplings supplied, but it seems to leave quite a gap. I've tried Heljan bar couplings too, but they were too tight.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Rich

After a bit of trial and error I've used the Roco close couplings (note: not the Hornby variation, which leaves a large gap between these coaches) with a small shim of 0.02 x 0.02" Slaters micro strip glued to the back of the coupler before pressing back in.  The fishtail won't lock into position since the coupler is sitting slightly further out than without the shim but they seem to sit very firmly and stay in place whilst being pushed/pulled (you could always glue the coupler into the pocket, I do this with the Mk2a coaches).  Doing this closes the gap completely between the coaches and they will happily go round 21-inch radius curves (so just a tiny bit more than third radius) at speed.

Hopefully the photos explain (not posted one before!) - I used two pieces of the micro strip glued one on top of the other against the back of the coupler

post-34952-0-23275500-1542984946_thumb.jpg

post-34952-0-35928300-1542984956_thumb.jpg

post-34952-0-23966300-1542984967_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks good !!!

Can I ask where you purchased your couplings from ???

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul - I get the Roco close couplers from Gaugemaster (actually my local model shop) - part number is 40270 and from memory they come in packs of 4 or 50.  They're just a wee bit tight as is, hence the need for the shim.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the swift reply.

Do you use :

1 short & 1 standard on each coach ?

Thanks again

With the Roco couplings, there's only one length - so same coupling on each coach but all fitted with the micro strip shim.

I've changed the address on my DBSO to the same as my 47/7  and now I'm trying to re assign the functions for interior lights from F2-4 to F15-F17 (free on my Loksound chip) using a Lokprogrammer. However when i send the commands to change the Lokprogammer software crashes. Has anybody managed anything similar?

As an aside when you read thte decoder on the lokprogrammer it comes up as type Bachmann Mk2F.

If you have a friend with a Lokprogrammer i think you can select which functions you want or don't want. i think you can select just the marker, headlight and tail lights only or with any combination of internal lights you fancy.