Thompson Vestibuled Main Line Stock (retooled)

Guest Tom F

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Here are two photos for now. I'm only on the iPad. More to follow.

58B5C962-894A-4FAF-AE6C-D990B45BD741.jpeg.4cf36b28298c8828dfb8ec001e6e80f3.jpeg

03D2746E-CDCA-4A00-8283-C40C06D48310.jpeg.58e8c629c91bc95d6f4a6ff25b0529a6.jpeg

Just to add, that the ride height seems about 1mm lower than on the Hornby Thompson non corridor coaches.

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To reinsert the photo’s.
  • Like 3

Thanks Rob, by the metal strip it looks ominously like the bogies are of similar design to the LMS ones as developed for the Portholes.

If you round to taking more, could you do one from the underside of the bogie please?

Thanks,

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Hi, again. More photo's. They're not perfect, but I hope they will be of some help. Also the bogies have the same pick-ups as on the Porthole carriages. I wonder if it that which is making them ride that bit lower than the Hornby Thompson non corridor carriages. Also, strangely, the gangway doors are not painted brown. I guess we have to do that ourselves.

4E44CE4B-2444-4C57-8138-4221BAD4A47A.jpeg.f6c76972a1dae25f3ea079a613e60827.jpeg

BBA62F6E-B62C-4025-97CC-F2C2CA68DC36.jpeg.d46bcd771bbcdb8c45ded27d108ccc49.jpeg

And here's the photo' which shows both of the underframes and bogies:

8AFD6DD7-4D15-4CD1-9669-8F7EB7F493A4.jpeg.cba6ea95c0e17c914de4bf936f95693e.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To reinsert the photo’s.

LNER coaches are not really my forte but I had been led to believe that many or most of the earlier Thompson coaches subsequently received the later-style window frames because the square bottom corners tended to encourage corrosion. 

Was that not the case?

John

Not quite, since the window 'frames' were actual openings cut in the sheet steel side panelling. The replacements, where fitted, comprised a separate steel frame with rounded corners set into the square-cornered opening.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I think it may well be that they may have to be raised  in the same kind of way. I agree they look good, and they need to be good. Must get the gangway end doors painted though.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Not quite, since the window 'frames' were actual openings cut in the sheet steel side panelling. The replacements, where fitted, comprised a separate steel frame with rounded corners set into the square-cornered opening.

So, was the window framing on the original style completely concealed by the steel body panelling, or was the glass bonded directly to it?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone please advise me as to why the carriages have pickups on the bogies? Surely they just adding to the overall cost if the carriage does not have any interior lighting.

Noticed this on the portholes too.

Maybe Bachmann will produce a lighting kit at some point, the bodies come off easy enough to allow it for a basic user to do it and think it would be popular.

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone please advise me as to why the carriages have pickups on the bogies? Surely they just adding to the overall cost if the carriage does not have any interior lighting.

Possibly just to make it easier for those wishing to install lighting?

So, was the window framing on the original style completely concealed by the steel body panelling, or was the glass bonded directly to it?

John

The steel panelling replaced the teak panelling on what was basically the same underlying teak framing; the window framing was contained within the latter, as were the door latches etc.

• RMweb Gold

I have been having a further look at those two Thompsons, and on cross checking with prototype photo's, it is the case that there are no footsteps below one door, each side, on the underframe. They are not attached to either the underframe, or to be found in the bag of extra details. They are something that will have to be scratchbuilt.

Regards,

Rob.

Very nice but looks like I'll need to shell out for new bogies like I have to with the Staniers.

My fault for doing EM, I suppose.

Dave.

Never looked into it but would it not be easier/cheaper/convenient to convert just the wheel-sets as outlined by Pete hill for the Bachmann non powered DMU bogies in MRJ 214? The only difference would appear to be the wheel diameter?

P

• RMweb Gold

A couple of photos of the square and rounded windows Thompsons in the same South Yorkshireman at Aylesbury in 1950, can anyone advise what the make up of the South Yorkshireman was as I need to model it at some stage.

There are Carriage Working Notice on Robert Carroll's Yahoo Group "British Railways loco-hauled coaching stock since 1948" which have the formations in Winter 1949/50 and Summer 1951 shown.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

Thanks for the heads-up, Porcy.

Inevitably, when I check, I see that this is one of the few MRJs I missed...

Dave.

Never looked into it but would it not be easier/cheaper/convenient to convert just the wheel-sets as outlined by Pete hill for the Bachmann non powered DMU bogies in MRJ 214? The only difference would appear to be the wheel diameter?

P

• RMweb Gold

13yi0q8.jpg

2jabuas.jpg

A couple of photos of the square and rounded windows Thompsons in the same South Yorkshireman at Aylesbury in 1950, can anyone advise what the make up of the South Yorkshireman was as I need to model it at some stage.

Consult Banks & Carter LNER Passenger Trains and Formstion 1923-67.

The position of the coach number E13890 is interesting, just to the left of the centre of the vehicle.

Excellent shot for detail.

That was for a brief period one official position before the right hand end was settled on. I recall that the number was to be positioned to the right of the leftmost door, providing space allowed, which resulted in an almost central position on such as catering vehicles on the kitchen side, where there was not an end door to the left! For those that have a copy, see the bottom photograph on p103 of Harris' LNER Carriages - BR Gill Sans lettering on a simulated teak finish Thompson Restaurant Car built 1949.

I am wondering if there was an interim period when windows were merely rounded at the bottom (as per my model Post #240), or are the etching incorrect?

I'm not aware of that being the case so it would be reasonable to assume that the etch is incorrect. If there is any prototype evidence to the contrary several researchers would be very interested to learn of it.

Consult Banks & Carter LNER Passenger Trains and Formstion 1923-67.

Or have a look here for some more complete and accurate information, compiled with assistance from John Marsh and Andrew Teale of Shipley MRS amongst others.

Edited by robertcwp