Rob Pulham's 7mm Workbench - Back to the LNER 06 (MOK 8F)

Hi Jeff,

No, mine is the original version and it's a Medley kit that I bought Ragstone brakes etc for. I plan to build the tender first to get a bit of a feel for the kit but the main boiler is a resin casting. If I struggle with the resin casting I may ask Ace if they will sell a body etc - reading Nick Dunhill's build the Ace body etc seems pretty good dimensions wise.

It's a long way down the pile though at the moment.

Do ACE do the W1 then?

Edited to say: of course they do, the "hush Hush".

I always think of the W1 as I saw it: "The Unnamed Streak". That was the loco I thought ought to have carried Gresley's name.

I thought the name earmarked for it was "British Enterprise" or some thing like that.

Wasn't Sir N.G. the A4 named after the man as it was the 100th pacific to be built to his design. What more could you ask for.

OzzyO.

I thought the name earmarked for it was "British Enterprise" or some thing like that.

Wasn't Sir N.G. the A4 named after the man as it was the 100th pacific to be built to his design. What more could you ask for.

OzzyO.

Not having Thompson follow you?

Not having Thompson follow you?

Better than seeing what he could do to your work!

I think the following shows what Thompson was like, the following happen in August 1944, to the loco 4486 Merlin. The loco was temporarily renamed three times as the following.

1928 Brigid.

1931 Davina.

1934 Bryan.

Not his family but the names of a new director of the L.N.E.R. Mr. Fitzherbert Wright. Talk about suction.

OzzyO.

PS. if you want to see the photos PM me or have a look in the power of the A4s plates 50 - 52.

That would be like saying you didn't enjoy Beethoven symphonies but thought the first two bars of his fifth were ok would it not?

...after knowing Beethoven had taken the only existing sheet music for Mozart's six greatest compositions, and scrawlled all over them, re-writing them into Polkas, so the originals would never been seen or heard again...

I didn't do a photo build of this as it's just a simple distraction (and there are quite a few builds of these already documented) she will be going up for sale once I have it complete. It's one of Jim's starter locos and it will be finished as Nellie in blue with red lining.

The intention is to paint her blue with red lining.

At the moment the inner side tanks and the boiler/smoke box are loose fit.

Regards Rob

Hi Peter,

I have to say I am impressed with the slow running qualities - to be honest I am more than a little surprised because it is powered by a £4.50 can motor that has no name on it. This motor is paired with a Jim McGeown fold up gearbox/worm and gear and it runs lovely. I have also fitted it with ball races too. This was mainly because I had some in stock and Jim's fold up gearbox allows the ball races to go through both the loco frames and the gearbox frame at the same time (I did a similar set up in the Y6 which was where I got the idea from).

I have yet to use ball races. I have a feeling they might be used in my locos. I am going to see if I can get some here. I am sure there must be someone in the town who sells bearings.

It is a lovely little engine.

I believe that it is based on a Southern prototype so it's right up your street.

Correct. Peter has built an example and he was given a photo of the prototype class shunting in Southampton docks pre-WW1.

regards, Graham

After lots of Umming and Ahhing I have decided that I will keep Nellie. Once I had made up my mind I thought in for a penny in for a pound if it's to be a fictitious loco then it might as well be a detailed fictitious loco.

So here are a few shots of the front end details. The plan now is to finish her in LNER black with the number 9827 which is the next number out of range for the Y7 (I think rolleyes.png)

I haven't don't much towards the rear yet apart from add a cab/bunker back more of that when I get the cab detailed.

Nellie001.jpg

Nellie002.jpg

Nellie003.jpg

I thought every O gauge modeller had to have one of these by Law?

Most certainly, I believe that it's a hanging offence not to have at least one. :sungum:

It does look rather good with all that extra pipework aboard, though.

Thanks, I think so too but the burning question is, does it look remotely LNERish?

Has your chimney taken a knock?

You are not the first to ask - it must be a trick of the light/photography, to my eyes looking at it in the flesh it looks straight - or maybe I need stronger glasses!!

Thanks Paul,

I originally planned to finish it very similar to the Triang Nellie and sell it but It has grown on me so I have had a change of heart. I was tempted to get some of Jim's push pull gear for it myself but so far I have resisted going there.

A bit more progress was made on Nellie over the weekend.

Roof curved and strengthened by another piece of plate underneath and a whistle made from some rod/tube and washers. The coal rail is now soldered on and despite liking the idea of some of the Laurie Griffin cast tapered hand rails I elected to solder some of the rod that came with the kit in place.

Nellie001-4.jpg

Following comments elsewhere about it looking Drummondish with the valves in the dome, I was thinking about filing them off and adding some safety valves from the scrap box but a quick look through the RCTS green bible showed that some J83 and J88's had similar dome with "lock valves" so I decided that was good LNER enough for me

Nellie002-4.jpg

Nellie004.jpg

On Saturday I had a trip to the local model shop and picked up a set of Slaters pre grouping buffers. I drilled out 4 holes and added some brass pins with the heads filed square - my stock of scale hardware didn't yield anything suitable.

Nellie003-2.jpg

Still to do is the cab detail, the brakes and to look at Y7's etc. to see what they had in the way of balance weights

Archived