Rob Pulham's 7mm Workbench - Back to the LNER 06 (MOK 8F)

Upon reading an article of making lubractors in the latest Gauge O Guild Gazette I decide to add some to Nellie. The ones described in the article were for Silvertown lubricators as opposed to the ones that I have made but the principle is the same.

Strting with a length of brass bar I measured 10mm along and marked it (for two lubricators 5mm in length each). I then filed a slope on the top, drilled 4 holes for the pipes on the bottom and got a piece of scrap fret and marked it to length and then filed either end back to leave a handle. I then placed this on a partially opened mini vice and creased it slightly using a small flat screwdriver blade. I soldered the top on with 298 degree solder and my micro flame to prevent it coming lose while attaching the pipes and then subsequently soldering it to the tank fronts.

Nellie005-1.jpg

Nellie001-6.jpg

I also started on the cab interior adding the back head to the false floor and making use of the lever reverser that came with te J63 kit.

Nellie003-4.jpg

Nellie004-2.jpg

Nellie is as complete as I want her to be.

The last details added are Laurie Griffin LNER lamp irons and some nice cast brass vacuum pipes (not sure whose but they are nice).

Nellie001-9.jpg

Nellie002-9.jpg

Nellie003-7.jpg

I have added the rest of the detail to the back head and I also knocked up a brake standard from tube, washers, brass rod and a handrail knob. This is now drying, having been primed along with the crew. The chassis is also drying having been primed too.

Nellie005-3.jpg

I just need to see if my Maskol is still usable for the brass pipework on the back head and that will be primed too. The holes in the floor plate are for the crew and the brake standard once I have put down the wooden floor they will sit on top.

It has turn out very good. Will this be plain black or in green with lining?

I saw and for the C14 which looks as though I will have to get one..

Hi Peter,

That's the very dilemma that is going through my mind at the moment. Plain black would be easy, black with red lining would be nice, green with lining would be nicer still. Decisions, decisions.....

• RMweb Premium

MR. P, another masterpiece. Don't we just love these little gems when they are still brass and WM; they have certain charm (or is it just me being the total non completer finisher......?)

Sincerely, Phil @ 36E (Thrumton this week)

I have added a little more detail to the back head in the form of some gauge glasses made from strips of 1mm perspex and a couple of dials that I will attach to the cab front once stick it in to the cab. Plus a planked cab floor from coffee stirrers

Nellie002-10.jpg

My compressor made a bid for freedom and smashed itself to bits on the floor frown.pngbanghead.gifstomp.gifpoop.gif so the painting of Nellie has stopped while the replacement arrives.

I had a mass painting seesion over the long weekend with quite few of my Slaters/parkside wagons now ready for transfers. I also did a bit more with the cab detail of Nellie and thought I would take a couple of photos as once it gos inside it won't be possible to get the same angle shot again.

Nellie003-9.jpg

Nellie001-10.jpg

Sigh......I don't know who designs miniature folk for our layouts, but the tall bloke with his hand on top of the brake lever has to be in THE most effeminate pose I've ever seen..........

Sigh......I don't know who designs miniature folk for our layouts, but the tall bloke with his hand on top of the brake lever has to be in THE most effeminate pose I've ever seen..........

The fireman's not that much better!

Some time ago when I made the oil can from a few scraps of brass someone asked about a tea billy - well I didn't make one but I discovered by chance a set of castings Here that included one - a bit fiddly to paint and the photo is a very cruel close up.

The castings from Peter Roles are only a fiver and when I sent a cheque off for some they were sent by return of post without waiting for the cheque to clear.

teabilly002.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Slaters finest, and I must admit to having exactly the same thoughts. It's a good job the loco that they are going in is a work of fiction too.

I've always used Phoenix Figures, from S&D Models for loco crew, or some of the ABS/Wrightlines range.

Cheers, Dave.

Some time ago when I made the oil can from a few scraps of brass someone asked about a tea billy - well I didn't make one but I discovered by chance a set of castings Here that included one - a bit fiddly to paint and the photo is a very cruel close up.

The castings from Peter Roles are only a fiver and when I sent a cheque off for some they were sent by return of post without waiting for the cheque to clear.

teabilly002.jpg

I favour Preiser though you have to un Hi-Vis them

Some of these are quite good too http://www.railcar.c...gures.htm#11-20

post-1733-0-18112200-1347236410.jpg

I have kept this under wraps as I didn't know what sort of a job I had set myself.. but it's turned out not too shabby.

My first finished attempt (the A3 is still work in progressroflmao.png) at lined green LNER livery. Done using the combination of Transfers, Bow Pen, Bow Compass, and Peter Spoorer lining pen (Like a Bob Moore but cheaperwink.png). Lot's of experimentation with paint thickness's and a fantastic learning curve. Who would have thought that you could get away with leaving the lid of a can of paint for 2 days let alone that it would make it better to use.....

Nellieinallherglory003.jpg

Nellieinallherglory004.jpg

Nellieinallherglory005.jpg

Nellieinallherglory006.jpg

Nellieinallherglory007.jpg

Nellieinallherglory008.jpg

Nellieinallherglory009.jpg

Nellieinallherglory010.jpg

Nellieinallherglory011.jpg

Nellieinallherglory012.jpg

Nellieinallherglory013.jpg

Nellieinallherglory014.jpg