Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I don't think so.

Pb112469.jpg

Or the whitewall tyres.

Edited by Smiffy2

I can confirm that the safety valves are a seperate moulding as my loco is missing one!! However I think I got my moneys worth, but those wheels have an upcoming date with a spray can of Halfrauds black paint.

• Like 1

Can someone please explain to certain manufacturers how Egide Walschaerts' invention works - This one is particularly difficult to unravel. (Or is that too much to expect?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walschaerts_valve_gear

The model is not too bad otherwise - it stands up well against the much more expensive Bachmann version and compares with the Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol Kit, which requires assembly and painting.

A file will soon sort out the strange cab shape - the lining at least is right.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

post-333-0-82717300-1398966437_thumb.jpgpost-333-0-49045700-1398966456_thumb.jpgGot out the tin of black spray paint, really makes a difference to the wheels. Also unstuck the deflectors and snipped off the moulding pip on the bottom to make them sit flush on the footplate.

Just need to paint the tender wheels and try to sort out the protruding front buffer.

Edited by simplex
  • Like 3

Very nice simplex. Did you have to dismantle or just mask to spray the wheels?

Dismantled, only a couple of screws underneath and a bit of sellotape to protect the cylinder lining.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifIMGP0498.JPGattachicon.gifIMGP0499.JPGGot out the tin of black spray paint, really makes a difference to the wheels. Also unstuck the deflectors and snipped off the moulding pip on the bottom to make them sit flush on the footplate.

Just need to paint the tender wheels and try to sort out the protruding front buffer.

Looks no end better with the wheels painted, will have to treat mine similarly (Maybe with a single chimney and BR1C tender too),

Looks perfectly acceptable in your photo and not bad being only £1 more than the Dapol kit in a well known retailer. 

May end up with more than 1.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Looks no end better with the wheels painted, will have to treat mine similarly (Maybe with a single chimney and BR1C tender too),

Looks perfectly acceptable in your photo and not bad being only £1 more than the Dapol kit in a well known retailer. 

May end up with more than 1.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

I may give the 28xx the same treatment, cant make it any worse!!

Apart from the A4 and the duchess all these models benefit from repainting the wheels and motion. The silver just looks horrible. 20 minutes work makes a huge improvement.

I finished off my second 9F earlier I'm keeping it as Evening star but I painted the wheels and motion and picked out some of the pipework with brass paint photos of the prototype were used. The whole thing was done in half an hour.

I'm tempted to by a third one! 

Not had chance to see one of the 9F's in the flesh. It seems our local superstore and newsagent have opted to stop stocking the series after the Schools class. Very disappointing, but also understandable as both the Schools and the 28xx did not seem to sell well. I will have to pop into the Westfield branch of WHSmiths on Saturday to see if I can look at one so I can consider whether to buy it or not.

Not had chance to see one of the 9F's in the flesh. It seems our local superstore and newsagent have opted to stop stocking the series after the Schools class. Very disappointing, but also understandable as both the Schools and the 28xx did not seem to sell well. I will have to pop into the Westfield branch of WHSmiths on Saturday to see if I can look at one so I can consider whether to buy it or not.

Poyntons in the Market Hall stock them Andy

Laurence

• RMweb Premium

Real wheels in the tender is an interesting development, so I thought I'd see what I could do with it.

This is it in bits. The keeper plate is held in place by pins and glue. Two screws link the chassis to the body.

post-6821-0-90538000-1399131167_thumb.jpg

The chassis, showing its ringfield drive heritage.

post-6821-0-26453900-1399131206_thumb.jpg

To get that see through look I cut away some of the chassis. The central part is still quite stiff, but the sides will flex a bit if pushed.

post-6821-0-71685200-1399131208_thumb.jpg

With the original wheels back in place. They could do with painting black, but they are the correct size.

post-6821-0-73475000-1399131213_thumb.jpg

With Some Romford 14mm wheels. They are 1mm too big, but look and roll better. I don't have any 13mm wheels to hand.

post-6821-0-23474700-1399131217_thumb.jpg

Putting the keeper plate back on. Oh dear, we are back to where we started.

post-6821-0-70943100-1399131219_thumb.jpg

So I cut it up into just the bits needed to hold the wheels in. It will need gluing in place.

post-6821-0-29508800-1399131222_thumb.jpg

On the track, between a 7F 2-8-0 and an ex Midland brake van (both Bachmann). It's sitting 0.5mm too high because of the wheels.

post-6821-0-77290500-1399131224_thumb.jpg

There's room for more improvements. The main problem is the front platform projecting forward too far, by 3mm.

• Like 7

Considering that this model is based on the Hornby 9F I thought it would look much better if I fitted a Hornby body, which made a big improvement but showed up the rather crude running gear, so I fitted a Hornby chassis, looks rather nice..post-20165-0-46918600-1399231354_thumb.jpg

Its all Hornby...my feeble attempt at humour.

Reminded me of the Two Ronnies sketch. One has egg, bacon and tomato,the other sausage fried bread and baked beans (or some such).

Ronnie B - Can I swap my bacon for your sausage?

Ronnie C - Can I swap my fried bread for your tomato?

Eventually each has the others meal.....