Great British Locomotives

EddieB

You mean safety valves, surely? That does look much better with black wheel sets. The cab error is unfortunate but for under a tenner, being fully lined out and detailed as it is, it's still something of an achievement I think.

The Deltic is out this week, no? Perhaps we will find out what the next issue is. Fingers crossed for the D11. I feel like a broken record but it is the one model I am looking forward to, more than any other, if it appears, as the potential for modelling is vast.

I managed to pick up at decent prices a Bachmann chassis and complete Hornby tender drive setup, so will have a go at motorising them in BR black. Some time ago Tony Wright modified a Railroad 9f with the same double chimney tender combination to suit his ER setting. Can anyone advise suitable no,s I can use on late fifties/sixties ER mainline layout? If I recall correctly, Tony said his loco was a transfer from Western Region in 1964. Thanks John

• Like 1

You mean safety valves, surely? That does look much better with black wheel sets. The cab error is unfortunate but for under a tenner, being fully lined out and detailed as it is, it's still something of an achievement I think.

You may be in luck with the D11, Simon. It's increasingly obvious that these are being cloned from existing Hornby/Bachmann productions, albeit sometimes from pretty old editions. But as the D11 is both recent and accurate.......

The Deltic is out this week, no? Perhaps we will find out what the next issue is. Fingers crossed for the D11. I feel like a broken record but it is the one model I am looking forward to, more than any other, if it appears, as the potential for modelling is vast.

• Like 1

I know we probably shouldn't take to much from the photos on the website but the buffer beam on the Deltic looks wrong. It's as if it is not recessed hope I'm wrong as it would be a pain to fix it.

Only 8 sleeps till we find out.

• Like 1

Re. Weatheringman,s cryptic comments on the upcoming Deltic, have you seen one or have inside info you can share. Personally, for £8.99 I am not expecting more than something with the potential to do so modelling with and which hopefully can be made to fit a Bachmann chassis.

It,s because I already have a spare Bachmann Deltic chassis. And I think that is part of the point with motorising the GBL models. They are usually not good enough to be worth spending lots of cash to motorise but if you have a spare chassis or detailing parts,usually accumulated over time, they can form a basis for decent models on a working layout. All this IMHO, of course.

I have bitten the bullet and bought another 9F, going to redo it as Black Prince,or at least a black one.Another good model with no bad defects (what are they doing right?) Did I mention that the chassis frames and front bogie are metal?.

I see from the GBL website they have posted information about issue 8 which will be the LMS Class 5 44871. This is in line the the advised list of issues posted earlier in this forum. From the picture on the front of the magazine the model appears to be based on the current Hornby class 5 rather than the earlier tender drive version or that in the Railroad range. Although the picture is not entirely clear, the version can be identified by the position of the top feed and the shape of the boiler, cab and tender. If this is correct this is good news as the current Hornby model, although not perfect, does provide a good basis for improvement. Might be possible to motorise with a chassis kit or provide a good static model. For those modelling 1967/68 shed lines of Black 5s waiting to go for scrap were a features. In any event a reasonably decent Black 5 for £8.99 can't be bad.

I shall buy a few for for static use and possible motorising assuming my assumptions about the model are correct.

Incidently the position of the top feed on the model is wrong for 44871 but correct for 44781, which was one on the last batches built. The magazine cover phot shows 44871 but other advice from GBL suggests 44781. Can't read the number on the model picture but it is probably modelled on 44781.

Incidently the position of the top feed on the model is wrong for 44871 but correct for 44781, which was one on the last batches built. The magazine cover phot shows 44871 but other advice from GBL suggests 44781. Can't read the number on the model picture but it is probably modelled on 44781.

Having just zoomed in on the picture, while not 100% clear, it does look to read 44781. But, as we have seen with the previous additions, the number of the one on the cover isn't necessarily the number of the model

Following the 'Deltic' the next model will be the 'Black 5'.

EDIT - Beaten to it!

EDIT 2 - It certainly seems to be 44781. The firebox seems to be a strange shape though and it appears we are in for the solid backed wheels again.

Edited by Il Grifone

Any pictures of the Deltic yet?  Looks like all my local WHSmiths have now dropped this part work unfortunately.

Consider yourself lucky to have got as far as no.4/5. WHS Ealing refused to carry the series from the start!

Any pictures of the Deltic yet?  Looks like all my local WHSmiths have now dropped this part work unfortunately.

Have you asked them? My local WHS sold out of Evening Stars within a couple of days of them coming in so anyone looking in store for them since would assume it was no longer being stocked.

Hi TheWeatheringMan,

When you do your review, will you be able to take an educated guess on the origins of the model, i.e. Lima or Hornby Dublo?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Catkins,

Thanks for your question.

Yes indeed the review will give the origin of the model as to what's been copied.

I think it would be fair to say at this stage that the Deltic is likely to cause some disappointment.

Regards

I'll only be disappointed if it is based on the Hornby Dublo, or comes out worse than the old Lima offering.

I'll be pleased if it comes out better, and with High Intensity Headlights!