Great British Locomotives

EddieB

In the magazine it says that some of the 2P locos continued in unlined black after nationalisation. Does anyone know what logo was carried on the tender on these locos? Was it the words British Railways or the cycling lion? And since I'm asking I don't suppose anyone has a list of numbers of the locos that had unlined black.especially Scottish based locos, Thanks in advance.

Here is my second 2P work in progress

post-5114-0-83706300-1408625336_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

So what do I have to do to make it LSWR?  :angel:

Swop it for the T9 (if and) when it comes out. :jester:

According to the blurb no. 1000 had 7 foot wheels and IIRC these are not LSWR friendly. (Don't quote me on that -probably wrong as usual!) . I haven't as yet measured those on the model to see if they are accurate.

It might be possible do to the reverse of Hornby and make an L1 out of it - first problem is the coupled wheelbase.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith,

Just for information, IPA is a bit cheaper from Rapid Electronics - its listed as a general electronic solvent cleaner.

No connection with Rapid except as a regular customer.

Regards

Edit,

Cheaper than Maplins but IPA can be found even cheaper online it seems - I buy mine in 20 litre drums from a solvent supply company

I was just pointing out somewhere on the High St  where you can pop in a get some.

I too use Rapid, they IMHO are better for electronic components than Maplin.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

In the magazine it says that some of the 2P locos continued in unlined black after nationalisation. Does anyone know what logo was carried on the tender on these locos? Was it the words British Railways or the cycling lion? And since I'm asking I don't suppose anyone has a list of numbers of the locos that had unlined black.especially Scottish based locos, Thanks in advance.

Do you mean 2P or Compound (4P)?

41074 (and no doubt others) was deinitely renumbered whilst still plain black with the "full British Railways" on the Tender. (as were some 2Ps)

BR soon decided that lined black would be the "second string" loco livery so they would have ended up like that with early emblem.

Keith

Thanks yeah ment 4P you can tell I'm a diesel and electric man.

Thanks for the information. I have been looking for photos of them unlined in BR days without any success but just came across one in the book Scottish steam in the 1950s and 60s it shows 40909 at Corkerhill but there is either nothing on the tender or its completely covered in filth.

• RMweb Gold

Here's a couple of photos taken by Dad which may be of some use.

post-5613-0-33424900-1408630453_thumb.jpg

Nottingham Midland loco depot Compound 41079 on breakdown train c1949 JVol1346

post-5613-0-55552400-1408630447_thumb.jpg

Manchester London Road Compound 41168 up pass c1954 JVol2204

David

• Like 3

Please find attached a cornucoppia (forgive spelling if wrong) of compounds..1157 is the Bachmann model. 1159, an early Hornby body, on later railroad chassis, comet breakgear This had been originally on a comet chassis. This had gone together very nicely but the combination of plastic body...440 wheelbase and my inabilty to weight sufficiently wouldnt pull  toffee. Do  I hear a murmur from those of a western persuasion..either LN or GW that neither could the real things...the crimson two need no introduction....the GBL is on plinth (1159 is now an excellent performer thanks to the new chassis.)

post-23587-0-23594300-1408631003_thumb.jpg

post-23587-0-22844300-1408631026_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Here's a couple of photos taken by Dad which may be of some use.

attachicon.gifNottingham Midland loco depot Compound 41079 on breakdown train c1949 JVol1346.jpg

Nottingham Midland loco depot Compound 41079 on breakdown train c1949 JVol1346

attachicon.gifManchester London Road Compound 41168 up pass c1954 JVol2204.jpg

Manchester London Road Compound 41168 up pass c1954 JVol2204

David

I wonder were these locos ever clean, especially in later years?

Those that you would get in Birmingham New St. were always crud covered.

Even in later LMS days the 4-4-0s appear to quite often be filthy!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I wonder were these locos ever clean, especially in later years?

Those that you would get in Birmingham New St. were always crud covered.

Even in later LMS days the 4-4-0s appear to quite often be filthy!

Keith

Sometimes.

post-5613-0-34660400-1408632108_thumb.jpg

Nottingham Midland compound 41021 Nottingham to Sheffield Feb 51 JVol6089

post-5613-0-38016400-1408632105_thumb.jpg

Nottingham London Road Junction Compound 41060 Nottingham to Lincoln and 3F with brake van c1953 JVol5047

Hope these are some use to those doing things with their Compounds.

I'd thought of buying one but all the local stockists ran out before I got there!

David

• Like 4

Omis

440 wheelbase and my inabilty to weight sufficiently wouldnt pull  toffee. Do  I hear a murmur from those of a western persuasion..either LN or GW that neither could the real things

omis

Wouldn't dream of it!   :jester:

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

There seems to be a bit of confusion with the Compound.

The GBL model is a Midland Railway 4P Compound. These were numbered 1000 - 1044 (41000 - 41044). These had 7 foot driving wheels and right hand drive. All were withdrawn before 1953. Not all of them lasted long enough to carry BR numbers and livery.

Any in the ranges 900 - 939 and 1045 - 1199 (40900 - 40939 and 41045 - 41199) were built by the LMS from 1924 with modified dimensions, reduced boiler fittings, Fowler tender and 6 foot 9 inch driving wheels. Most were also left hand drive.

The Midland engines have a very complicated history with them being rebuilt many times. Different types of frames, superheating, extended smokeboxes. different tenders, different boiler fittings, etc. They were always Crimson Lake prior to the Second World War. You could write a book about the various differences. There are several. The RCTS published a very useful one.

Regards Jason.

When I said "not good as a standard MR or Fowler tender" I appear to have sowed a little confusion.

I meant that, because of its unusual origin,it is not suitable for sticking behind a 2P, Patriot, Jubilee, 4F or what-have-you.

Thanks for the clarification Tren, The GBL tender could, of course, be attached to a Somerset & Dorset 2-8-0 if converted to RH drive etc.

The Midland engines have a very complicated history with them being rebuilt many times. Different types of frames, superheating, extended smokeboxes. different tenders, different boiler fittings, etc. They were always Crimson Lake prior to the Second World War. You could write a book about the various differences. There are several. The RCTS published a very useful one.

RCTS booklet still available if their stall at Midland Railex was anything to go by.

Hi darrel! Just looking through "On Midland Lines" (Ian Allan) and p11 is a stunning colour view of 40646 (of Dumfries) at Bedford; and p31 40486 (well weathered) - the totems on these are lion holding dartboard within "hotdog shape"(!) and the latter is the lion on unicycle style, taken in April '62 and May '56 respectively. HTH. Like your spraying, oh that I could produce such results!! 

Just to let anyone in the Preston area aware that WH Smith in Fishergate  at 16:00 today had approx 12-15 compounds .I bought one early yesterday morning and the guy went on to say that the GBL range was one of the best sellers in the shop.

Pete

Just to let anyone in the Preston area aware that WH Smith in Fishergate  at 16:00 today had approx 12-15 compounds .I bought one early yesterday morning and the guy went on to say that the GBL range was one of the best sellers in the shop.

Pete

A helpful WH Smiths branch!! - What many RMWebbers wouldn't give!!! :jester:

Very happy with my compound, really enjoying the GBL series. I find myself looking forward to the next loco coming out (a bit like the old days of having a film developed and picking up the photos) and seeing how good or bad it is!!

• Like 5

Hi Ivan,

I wonder if I might ask you for a bit of help as you have a good knowledge of kits.

I have a Milholm Models kit for a 'Merchant Navy' that I'd like to get a little clarification on before I start building it as there seems some confusion as to which version it is going by the box label and the instructions - which don't match.

How are you on Milholm kits Ivan.

I'll post what it is that seems confusing if you might be able to help....

I tended to avoid Millholme mainly because they looked quite crude to my eyes.

Your best bet is to ask "Graham_Muz" on this Forum, as I think he has built all of the Original MN variations (Series 1, 2 and 3) from Millholme kits

Picked up a Compound at ASDA at Frome on Wednesday, the only one they had, so Hobsons choice.  Only later did I discover that the left hand cab roof support was broken.  :-(

But spotted three on the shelf at WH Smith in Warminster this afternoon, so picked up another two.  :-)