Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Just a quick go at improving the model coal added to tender, wheels have been repainted along with the connecting rods. Picked out lots of details with paint the safety valve handrails pipework and also cab details.

Be kind it's still work in progress.

post-5114-0-53024100-1408536636_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-85240200-1408536734_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-30404700-1408536785_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

This is not, surely, a 'standard' Fowler tender, as used with 2Ps and 4Fs for instance?

Deeley - or at least bearing his influence?

It would be a Deeley, on a 7'0" x 6'9" wheelbase for the Midland-built engines, whereas LMS-built engines started their lives with the Fowler "old standard" 6'6" x 6'6".

There was some tender swapping. Even no.1000 today doesn't have its original Deeley (which was apparently fit only for scrap when the engine was withdrawn in 1951), but one which came off 7F 53805.

Just to confuse people further, preserved 7F 53808 has a Fowler-bodied, Deeley wheelbase tender, hence a 9-inch running plate "ledge" at the back.

Can you get over to Stourbridge? They usually have them there*.

* Well, at least every time I've been in

....but not after.  :jester:

Edited by Horsetan

I think the tender is an ex-SDJR 2-8-0 one as sported by MR 1000 in preservation (slightly different front cutout). This is the same as the Bachmann MR compound had.

Not good as a standard MR or Fowler tender.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the tip on Stourbridge, I've rung them and someone didn't want theirs so its bagged. I wanted it for the Deeley tender for a 7f and the compound to try to do 40936 with the experimental Stanier tender.

The one on 1000 came off 53804 from memory. How do you mean not as good as a standard midland tender?

Edited by Blandford1969

The first few 2-8-0s had tender cabs which when removed left a different shape to the front arc. This is a model of one of those. The wheelbase should be unequal as opposed to the equal wheelbase on a standard Fowler tender.

I had a quick read of the Issue 14 booklet that comes with the model, and it seems relatively clear that at least one whole chunk of text has been lifted directly from LMS Locomotive Profiles no.13, published by Domestic Duck, without necessarily acknowledging the source other than a "Want to know more?" box at the end. Naughty. 

Hi David,

Yes the 'traditional' toothpaste I mentioned is the modern version of that old solid one. Tooth whitening compounds are, as far as I know, very much the same in that they are a very fine cutting paste and thus should also work perfectly well in this application.

As to White Spirit - NO, NO and thrice NO - the term 'white spirit' DOES NOT cover 'a multitude of sins'.

For many years White Spirit has been a strictly controlled substance in that in order to be called 'White Spirit' it must conform totally to British Standard 245 - which lays down the formulation that must be adhered to and thus prevents any variation.

Other 'thinners' and/or 'turps substitute' will contain other solvents that pose various dangers both to us and our models.

Many years ago other formulations of 'thinner' could have been called 'white spirit' but not for many years since the requirement to meet BS245.

Hope that clarifies the situation.

Regards.

Interesting, as the bottles I have (various makes) have different formulae*. (possibly I'm using the term 'white spirit' too generally?) I'll investigate further - it could well be turps substitute of course. (Old age and old habits.....)

* One (Bartelline) definitely attacks plastics (as does acetone, which is also death to tinplate lithographing - guess how I know!).

I visited our local Asda this morning and they had two 'compounds' which went straight in the trolley! My intention was to select the better one over coffee (cappuchino)  and then take it home, but in the end, they both came home with me. :)  (I ignored SWMBO!).

First impressions :-

Commendable lack of silver on the wheels, connecting rods inside coupling rods (correct though the bends in the conn. rods aren't, generally well finished though one example has missed out on some of the silver and details like buffers and safety valves fixed at odd angles and driving wheels 'halved' rather than 'quartered' - nothing very serious or difficult to remedy.

Incidentally MR 1000 was one of the preserved locomotives restored to running order in the late fifties and has an excuse to appear anywhere.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

Well worth it for the Fowler tender alone.

It would be a Deeley, on a 7'0" x 6'9" wheelbase for the Midland-built engines, whereas LMS-built engines started their lives with the Fowler "old standard" 6'6" x 6'6".

There was some tender swapping. Even no.1000 today doesn't have its original Deeley (which was apparently fit only for scrap when the engine was withdrawn in 1951), but one which came off 7F 53805.

Just to confuse people further, preserved 7F 53808 has a Fowler-bodied, Deeley wheelbase tender, hence a 9-inch running plate "ledge" at the back.

AFAIK 1000, when withdrawn, had a hydrid tender which wasn't considered suitable when they eventually got round to restoring it some eight wears later. At that time the only available Deeley tender was from a Somerset and Doorset 2-8-0 with the different scallop at the front end which was left as it was. I'm not sure why Bachmann attribute their 'Johnson' tenders, as attached to their 3Fs and 4Fs to 'Deeley', it just confuses me.

Me too. "How do you mean not as good as a standard midland tender?"

When I said "not good as a standard MR or Fowler tender" I appear to have sowed a little confusion.

I meant that, because of its unusual origin,it is not suitable for sticking behind a 2P, Patriot, Jubilee, 4F or what-have-you.

Please keep showing progress of the models shown on this page....it was the shot of the high footplate 5 in an earlier post that confirmed my intention to produce same. My own efforts ar'nt exhibition models but I like to think they pass muster as "layout" locos to borrow a phrase. I have bought the compound and it seems to compare very well with the Bachmann NRM model I have. I keep looking at the models link to see what the next might be...usually this seems to be put on the day of release of current modell....any ideas as it seem it won't be locomotion. In respect of an earlier post smiths at Stourbridge and Merry Hill always seem to have stock.

• RMweb Premium

I bought a 500ml bottle from a tax-dodging high street chemist a few years back, was around six pounds, expect to pay a bit more but depending on the price of the finish removal, it may save a few quid and it also has other uses.  A friend's son got his playstation by pouring Isopropyl Alcohol on the circuitboard (got to be more to it than that).  One of those things a modeller shouldn't be without.

1 litre from Maplins is £14.99

Keith

Managed to get the compound from the nice staff at WH Smiths in Stourbridge. Its not a bad model and has plenty of potential.

...and after binning the static chassis, it proved straightforward to dismantle. The tender underframes were just about wide enough to take a P4 wheelset, but with very little sideplay available. These are separate from the tender body, steps and running plate which are moulded as a whole unit. This might lead to one or two problems later with my 7F Fowler-bodied, Deeley hybrid, but I'll cross that bridge when I eventually stumble onto it.

As with the Black Five, the mouldings appear relatively OK, and the pipes etc. can be safely shaved off and replaced by wire if you're planning on going to town in the motorising stakes. There is a useful attempt at a mechanical lubricator, from which you can take off the plastic blobs that represent the feed pipes and replace with suitable wire.

I also kept the cylinders and crossheads for the moment, as the crosshead faces can be salvaged and used as thin overlays if your aftermarket crossheads, e.g. those supplied by Comet, are not quite the right shape.

A Comet Compound chassis is available, as are detail castings, wheels etc. from AGW, so here is a way to a reasonably finescale engine.

post-6879-0-07652700-1408570777_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The only thing that is a bit odd on mine is a curious mould line that goes round the boiler and then back up its sides. It will be easy enough to remove though. The cab has the potential for more proper pipework too. Fortunately oo leaves me with a bit more room to play with.