Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Hi darrel! Just looking through "On Midland Lines" (Ian Allan) and p11 is a stunning colour view of 40646 (of Dumfries) at Bedford; and p31 40486 (well weathered) - the totems on these are lion holding dartboard within "hotdog shape"(!) and the latter is the lion on unicycle style, taken in April '62 and May '56 respectively. HTH. Like your spraying, oh that I could produce such results!!

Thank you for the information and your kind words, I'm still only a beginner with the airbrush. These locos have been great to learn with.

Picked up a Compound at ASDA at Frome on Wednesday, the only one they had, so Hobsons choice.  Only later did I discover that the left hand cab roof support was broken.  :-(

But spotted three on the shelf at WH Smith in Warminster this afternoon, so picked up another two.  :-)

It is on one of mine too (not sure if it came like this or it's down to my ham-handedness!). It's probably too fine a component for plastic (like wagon axleguard tie-bars etc.) and needs replacing with wire.

AFAIK 1000, when withdrawn, had a hybrid tender which wasn't considered suitable when they eventually got round to restoring it some eight wears later. ...

The tender had been inherited from 1024, and was considered to be beyond economic repair when restoration commenced. Whether that was because it had stood for up to eight years after withdrawal, or whether it was already a write-off when the engine was originally withdrawn in 1951, I don't know, but eight years standing around without much - if any - attention can't have helped!

Any one painting there's in the Andy Capp livery? not mine by the way just found it on google

This loco was scrapped shortly after working the specials, and wasn't re-painted...

It is on one of mine too (not sure if it came like this or it's down to my ham-handedness!). It's probably too fine a component for plastic (like wagon axleguard tie-bars etc.) and needs replacing with wire.

A few in Chester WHS had broken rails in the packs, as well as some mis-fitted parts....

Finished off my 4P thanks to everyone for the advice and photos. 41022 was a Lancaster locomotive. None of these locos were allocated to Scottish sheds so it must have sneaked over the border. Photos were taken before I added coal to the tender.

post-5114-0-66509300-1408715685_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-89067800-1408715771_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-11558600-1408715871_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-25739800-1408715959_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

The GBL tender could, of course, be attached to a Somerset & Dorset 2-8-0 if converted to RH drive etc.

I should have clarified that to say one of the 1914 batch.

Another use would be to carve out the front scallop to make it look a little bit nearer to a regular Deeley tender.

How long ago did you order these? Let us know how you get on.

It took a long time for me to get a 9F (although ordered two).  One of the customer service trolls stated something along the lines of it may be a few days later (few months later in actual time) so didn't go to the shops for more which I bitterly regret.  Still no reply from them about this and the incomplete one.

Maybe we should have a competetion for worst customer service reply (providing we get replies). Prize is a set of chipped, oversized silver painted buffers with shafts still in the buffer beams.

Just called them about my missing 1and 2 and apparently they are waiting for more stock to come in, didn't give a time scale but if they don't come in a couple of weeks they will get another call.

Cheers

Shane.

We know next is the tank and then the T9, is there a list on what else is supposed to be coming?

Any one seen a picture of the T9 yet, would love to know if it's the narrow or wide splasher version or if it has either a six or eight wheel tender.

I wouldn't hold much faith in that reply. Unsold issues would have long been returned to them by stockists.  How long ago did you order them?  I think they are taking the you-know-what with what they said to you.  I presume you had already paid for them.

Put it like this. I WILL get my A4 and Coronation. I would say that yes I have paid for them but who know after the ail they sent yesterday!

Cheers

Shane

We know next is the tank and then the T9, is there a list on what else is supposed to be coming?

I can't remember the list but even if it does say it's after the STD 4 we won't know conclusively until it's on the website as we can't rely on them.

Rhys

• Like 1

A "bus safari" took me to W H Smiths in Colchester today where I bagged 4 compounds.  They actually look very good, excellent finish. My game plan is (ok I'm sticking my neck out here)  1 conversion to LMS compound, 1 conversion to class 3 4-4-0, [the simple version of the compound as used on the S & C],  1 conversion to 7F 2-8-0  - and a motorised Midland compound since it looks good to start with. The first 3 would need different domes for one thing, but the 1000  dome as fitted looks like it might pull out/be cut out leaving an already moulded groove for an LMS dome to be fitted.  Cutting the moulded handrails off the one to be left as MR might be problematical if trying to save the finish though.  Wouldn't matter on any other conversions as they would be black.

And only £8.99 each (plus 2p for the 2 bags to put them in, but they did then go in the suitably large rucksack I'd had the foresight to take....)

Up in loft tomorrow to start taking things apart.

• Like 3

....My game plan is (ok I'm sticking my neck out here)  ....1 conversion to 7F 2-8-0 ....

At least the two classes shared a boiler, but the 7F has an easier drumhead (full cylindrical) smokebox - you just need to make a new saddle for it, and a footplate.

Oh....and you need a chassis.... Let AGW be your friend.

At least the two classes shared a boiler, but the 7F has an easier drumhead (full cylindrical) smokebox - you just need to make a new saddle for it, and a footplate.

Oh....and you need a chassis.... Let AGW be your friend.

Recently read a book, can't remember name right now but got it out of library, about converting locos from various other (cheapish) locos. One was an sdjr 7F from an airfix 4F with a modified boiler, think it ran on a Hornby 8F chassis.  So think it could be done from gbr compound. One to muse about, may not be finished that soon of course.  :scratchhead: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bad news railroadbill, the dome isn't a separate part but part of the boiler. They've done a very good job of making it look separate like on the Bachmann model. I'm taking one of mine apart now, I'll post some photos tomorrow if no one else does.

• Like 1

My game plan is (ok I'm sticking my neck out here)  1 conversion to LMS compound, 1 conversion to class 3 4-4-0, [the simple version of the compound as used on the S & C],  1 conversion to 7F 2-8-0  - and a motorised Midland compound since it looks good to start with. The first 3 would need different domes for one thing, but the 1000  dome as fitted looks like it might pull out/be cut out leaving an already moulded groove for an LMS dome to be fitted.  Cutting the moulded handrails off the one to be left as MR might be problematical if trying to save the finish though.  Wouldn't matter on any other conversions as they would be black.

The comparison locos (990 Class) were also Class 4s.  The Class 3s were the just slightly earlier "Belpaires" with the rectangular side panel of varying sizes over the rear splasher.  All the potential Midland 4-4-0 variations had similar boiler diameter, the big difference is that only the Compounds and the 2Ps had the raised footplate over the drivers, the rest had a straight footplate and that would entail quite a bit of work.  Alternative options might be shallow frame Compounds (drum smokebox) or the non-superheater version.  You have four chimney and (I think) two dome options to play with too, plus Tups*rse or pop safety valves.

Good luck and please post on your progress.

You may jest but once saw a Licky banker 0-10-0 made from two airfix 4F body's on a 9F chassis with the airfix tender drive it was for sale in Gee Dee models in Nottingham many years ago, so wrong but in a strange way so right the only thing jumping out at you was the valve gear with the BR standard type slide bars.

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1

Issue 16 was supposed to be 'Locomotion', but as we are reliably informed that this is not to happen, it would seem logical that it will either be 'Rocket' or issue 17 brought forward (the 'Peak').

On the other hand who knows with this lot?

Edited by Il Grifone