RMweb

Level crossing stupidity...

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

It was suggested above that the falling boom severed the brake connection to the trailer so he couldn't back.

J

Although perhaps possible that's not really supported by the AV in the clip, there is nothing to suggest that any of the airlines were affected by the barrier, just a brake application as the trucker dismounts. In the comments it is reported that "Devon", who was there, says nothing was behind the truck. Even if there had been, I submit that reversing into several cars at low speed is preferable in terms of outcomes to being hit by a train.  

My suspicion is that the trucker simply funked it and was unable to make the right decision in the heat of the moment. It is much easier with hindsight or for a railway-educated audience watching at home (and don't think I am defending him, with a truck licence comes responsibility and his actions were indefensible).

Edited by craneman
Typos.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, craneman said:

My suspicion is that the trucker simply funked it and was unable to make the right decision in the heat of the moment. It is much easier with hindsight or for a railway-educated audience watching at home (and don't think I am defending him, with a truck licence comes responsibility and his actions were indefensible).

That's why I suspect he was tired and not thinking straight.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

Except in a quiet zone.

They introduce quiet zones because of local concerns of noise pollution. 

And then the locals get upset when someone gets run over by a train because they didn't hear it coming.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, melmerby said:

Except in a quiet zone.

There were suggestions made a few years ago, about the noise of horns in Melbourne. It got ignored officially, but now there is a large project to remove the crossings (110 to be removed and 80 something gone), which is the best result possible.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, newbryford said:

And then the locals get upset when someone gets run over by a train because they didn't hear it coming.

After ignoring the lights and extra barriers.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, melmerby said:

Except in a quiet zone.

10 hours ago, newbryford said:

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

After ignoring the lights and extra barriers.

And in one instance at least the 'victim' was the person who led the campaign for the quiet zone.

• Informative/Useful 2

46 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Not all trains stop at Blakedown, if it had been a non stopper, the situation may have been different!!

I wondered about that, if it had been stopping I'd have expected it to stop before it started to cross the crossing, the 172 brakes always seem quite good to me,  so it may well have been a non stop. Looking at a cab ride you can see the crossing a few hundred yards before it's reached and the line speed isn't that high. 22:30 onwards on this video, though by the look of it from a Voyager so slightly better view. Could be either, if it'd been one of the steel trains, though...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hobby said:

Goes to support the theory that there are no bad dogs, only bad owners !

It looks like the dog has more intellegence than the owner as it seemed to be reluctant to go through the first barrier.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

I noticed the person appeared to be given the train driver the finger when it's probable that the horn was sounded.

Maybe someone would like to shop this obnoxious jerk to BTP?

• Agree 6

I suspect he's from the estate just down the road so shouldn't be too hard to find. I couldn't decide if he was giving the train driver the finger or if the guy in the car had said something! Whatever, both car drivers will have said some choice words about him as they'd have been sitting there for a few minutes longer whilst the train driver is on the radio to the signalman!

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Wow - very close. Wonder which part of the flashing level crossing lights and the flashing train lights told the truck driver the crossing was clear.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Very, Very Close as I think it was tractor plus TWO trailers !

Yes, a Double-B.  But it's only a 3ft 6in gauge railway, so a harmless toy train - no problem!

Here's an overview of different types, I think that truck is as per Fig 5 or Fig 3. Fig 6, is not allowed in most states.

https://www.nti.com.au/better-business-hub/blog/do-you-know-your-truck-types

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

• 2 weeks later...