Level crossing stupidity...

• 1 month later...

Just seen this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3983690/Shocking-footage-shows-cyclists-ignoring-level-crossing-barriers-police-report-100-near-death-misses-one-year.html

Now how the <insert profanity of choice here> did the cyclist in the first clip avoid getting wiped out? My sympathies are with the train driver, who must surely have had an unexpected cleaning bill...

Apologies, therefore, for  putting that recent clip up, but 65 pages in didn't inspire scrolling through it :(

Still, it does no harm to pop it up again for any new arrivals...

(that's my story, and I'm sticking to it...)

• RMweb Premium

There was a fatality at a crossing on the Cherwell Valley Line earlier this year. I always make a point of detouring over this crossing if I can on the offchance of being stopped for one of the many freight trains, almost always 66s but you never know (I cant be the only one here who does this ;) )

Now I usually quite like Michael Crick's work, but this piece (http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/technical-problems-for-years-at-oxfordshire-level-crossing-where-man-died/2084) just beggars belief. 

According to Mr Crick's "source in the railway industry":

I wasnt aware that you could ignore the crossing lights and sirens as long as you are in a queue of traffic and you've been waiting there for a while ...  :O

I was 'reliably informed' by a female would be lawyer on an Australian website, that if the boom gates stayed down for a 'long time', they were obviously faulty and so road users were entitled to drive around them.

Anyone preventing such action, could be sued on the basis that they were somehow, 'falsely imprisoning' road users. Assuming they survived, I suppose.

I attempted to put the viewpoint that the train could have broken down, just around the bend. It had now restarted and was now coming straight at the level crossing. A waste of typing!

• Like 1

I was 'reliably informed' by a female would be lawyer on an Australian website, that if the boom gates stayed down for a 'long time', they were obviously faulty and so road users were entitled to drive around them.

Anyone preventing such action, could be sued on the basis that they were somehow, 'falsely imprisoning' road users. Assuming they survived, I suppose.

I attempted to put the viewpoint that the train could have broken down, just around the bend. It had now restarted and was now coming straight at the level crossing. A waste of typing!

Strewth! (As, I believe, Australians display disbelief...  :O  :onthequiet:  )

One has to hope that this hero hasn't actually qualified - unless, of course, you're on the opposite side in a lawsuit...

• RMweb Premium

No 'box phone at crossings in Aus? Edited by dhjgreen
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would like to hear what she would say if anyone followed her advice and was killed or injured.

• RMweb Gold

regards the barriers staying down for a while, i have mentioned this before, i've had it at bicester perimiter road where the lights came on and the barriers didnt drop when i pulled the operating rope, it was amazing the number of cars that after 2 or 3 minutes edged onto the crossing then jumped the lights, more shocking for them though i should imagine as my loco was well hidden behind some bushes and the first they saw of me would have been my lights 10M from the road

the outcome was to put the crossing in local control and manually drop the barriers, once we were over manually raise the barriers again, i dont know what the plan for that crossing is once work starts on phase 2 of the east/west link as its a busy road and the current 5mph railway speed limit will be raised to 100mph

• Like 1

Just seen this one on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-38200123

Words from BBC site

"A train hit a car at a level crossing in South Lanarkshire.

The occupants of the car managed to escape from the vehicle before it was hit at Cleghorn level crossing in Lanark on Saturday evening.

It was struck by the Virgin service from Preston to Glasgow, which was carrying around 60 passengers just before 19:00."

Another picture here

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/258889/train-smashes-into-car-at-level-crossing-in-lanarkshire-seconds-after-driver-escape/

Edited by Shadow

• RMweb Premium

I know that cars travel faster now and that there is WAY more traffic on the roads, but I don't remember hearing about lots of level crossing collisions/near misses/people trying to "beat the train" etc, etc, in the days when crossing were protected by a large set of hefty white gates that closed completely accross the road, and were under the watchful eye of a signalman.

Is it me? ? ? 

• RMweb Premium

I know that cars travel faster now and that there is WAY more traffic on the roads, but I don't remember hearing about lots of level crossing collisions/near misses/people trying to "beat the train" etc, etc, in the days when crossing were protected by a large set of hefty white gates that closed completely accross the road, and were under the watchful eye of a signalman.

Is it me? ? ? 

I would wager its more to do with todays sensationalist reporting and the availability of 24hour news etc. As with lost of things these days those rose tinted glasses can be very deceiving.....

• RMweb Gold

Is it me? ? ? 

There is a thread ( http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117529-technical-paper-on-the-fell/ ) about the Fell locomotive that includes an article from The Engineer magazine dated 29 November 1957 http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/0/03/Er19571129.pdf . In that document, there is also an article on the subject of Train Accident Report for 1956. An extract from that report states:

"Of the eighteen fatalities, which were the result of seventeen train accidents, three of the killed were railway employees and thirteen of the remaining fifteen were occupants of road vehicles in level crossing collisions."

I believe Automatic Half Barrier crossings weren't brought in until the sixties, so these fatalities must have been at either User Worked Crossings or gated public crossings.

• RMweb Gold

There is a thread ( http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117529-technical-paper-on-the-fell/ ) about the Fell locomotive that includes an article from The Engineer magazine dated 29 November 1957 http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/0/03/Er19571129.pdf . In that document, there is also an article on the subject of Train Accident Report for 1956. An extract from that report states:

"Of the eighteen fatalities, which were the result of seventeen train accidents, three of the killed were railway employees and thirteen of the remaining fifteen were occupants of road vehicles in level crossing collisions."

I believe Automatic Half Barrier crossings weren't brought in until the sixties, so these fatalities must have been at either User Worked Crossings or gated public crossings.

At that time I doubt if UWC were counted as level crossings  - if they were farm crossings they would have been identified as such and not as 'level crossings'.  the idea of counting everything as 'a level crossing' is a fairly recent phenomenon - in the past only statutory level crossings were counted as such.  Even by the early-mid 1970s (actually 1970-75 inclusive) there was an average of 63 'accidents' per annum at manned gated level crossings with an annual average of 3.3 fatalities in such 'accidents' and even by the end of 1977 there were still 1,123 manned gated level crossings on BR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There's a point here about fate and other people's actions. I reckon that if the woman with the Range Rover hadn't been there, the lad with the bike would have had to stop to open the gate, and probably the pedestrian gate. That would have made him stop and think about his surroundings. The fact that he just breezed through the already open gate was the point where things started to go wrong. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

thats one of my biggest fears with foot crossings like that, i hate it when the back end of a train in the opposite direction has just cleared the crossing as i approach, i always sound the horn an extra time in those situations

looking at the vid, as 96701 says other peoples actions could have an influence on the outcome, in reality the range rover driver shouldnt have opened the gate until the 2nd train had passed (as the signaller would have hopefully instructed him) and it was lucky that he decieded to open it when he did, had he done so a few minutes earlier in preperation for the trains passing then the cyclist may well have been still mounted and travelling at speed as either one of the trains arrived and not been so lucky to be just needing new undies and not a funeral

Edited by big jim