Level crossing stupidity...

Although no details are given of the nature of the "verbal abuse" I would guess it was hardly any more significant that that which would be encountered in the average playground...the way the report has been written it gets better potential press coverage if it implies something more sinister to do with a child.

As you say, you are guessing.

To be honest I'm not clear what the point is  that you're trying to make.  If you actually believe that going around verbally abusing random 12 year olds in public places is acceptable behaviour then I suggest you go and try it sometime, and let us know how you get on.

BTW, I agree that the trespass in the line is also a serious offence.

Surely a photo in the local press is going to stand a more likely chance of a result than national coverage on a relatively obscure web site?

Something like this, you mean?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

LNERGE's photo of the tamper through Lakenheaths gates reminds me of a lad who sat next to me on my signalling course.

He worked Harling Road, and one morning he had closed the gates for a train. The train passed the home board and he managed to get the lever back in the frame and then the gate release levers out of the frame, he then got down the stairs and got one gate open enough that the front of the train hit it....

It was quite impressive, as it was worked out that he only had about 10 seconds to do every movement. He wasn't known for moving very quickly at the best of times....

He didn't last on the railway very long after that....

Andy G

I'm confused... :scratchhead:

Surely if the engineers vehicle was approaching shouldn't the gates have been closed to road traffic?

There is more to it but the bottom line is the gates were across the rails and the signals on and prevented from clearing by the interlocking. 

• Like 1

To be honest I'm not clear what the point is  that you're trying to make.  If you actually believe that going around verbally abusing random 12 year olds in public places is acceptable behaviour then I suggest you go and try it sometime, and let us know how you get on.

The point was quite clear. There are instances of "verbal abuse" that happen every day to everyone. It all comes down to an individual's definition of what is "verbal abuse". If the definition is set at a low it enough level then I would say it is minor and simply "live with it" like everyone else does. But if it set higher then it goes through unacceptable through to downright offensive.

So if the culprit was saying something like "why are you b1@@dy taking photos of me?" then I would not agree that is "verbal abuse" if it had been said to my daughter at 12 I would simply accept it as poor communication skills - as said worse happens in the playground. But something could be said which is far more offensive and using language that has no place in addressing anyone let alone a child.

It is al a matter of proportionality and in this case the report gives insufficient detail on that matter.

However, on the actual real and indisputable offense (the trespass) the reporting is too light. There is no need to even report on the "verbal abuse" - it remains alleged anyway (one person's word against another) - The man is wanted regarding the offense of trespass and much more should have been made of the danger caused to himself and others by that offense. I doubt if the "verbal abuse" would stand up to scrutiny by magistrates unless there are other independent witnesses and the "verbal abuse" stood up to the test of being extreme.

Thanks for the additional link to the local press. It is again a shame that it was sensationalised for the wrong reasons.

I do not believe it helps the general cause of this topic - That we all believe that the public in general do not appreciate the dangers of level crossings - when the press misreport such incidents.

• Like 1

Not quite sure which is the matter that requires seeking out this individual. The certain trespass or the alleged "verbal abuse". Although no details are given of the nature of the "verbal abuse" I would guess it was hardly any more significant that that which would be encountered in the average playground. But crossing the tracks the wrong side of the barriers is a definite no no. However, the way the report has been written it gets better potential press coverage if it implies something more sinister to do with a child. Surely a photo in the local press is going to stand a more likely chance of a result than national coverage on a relatively obscure web site?

There's photo evidence of this 'nice chap' mouthing off whilst stood on the wrong side of the barriers on facebook.

• Like 2

There's photo evidence of this 'nice chap' mouthing off whilst stood on the wrong side of the barriers on facebook.

I defer to all you accomplished lip-readers who can pick out a whole sentence from a still image.

• RMweb Gold

At times even the trains get confused, here's one driver, patently on the wrong side of the road about to use a level crossing. (Sorry for the tilt, it's a tight squeeze getting a photo)

Tivetshall

02 May 2016

90013 and 82136 on 5P31, 10:00, Norwich - Diss (10:51) - ECS.

post-6662-0-69300900-1462440868_thumb.jpg

SLW due to engineering work

• Like 2

Without knowing the exact circumstances which led to the truck being where it was it's difficult to know whether this actually counts as "stupidity".  However, it seems clear that the train driver at least had his smarts about him.  I don't know what he said but the passengers all seemed to get the message clearly enough!

• Like 7

Without knowing the exact circumstances which led to the truck being where it was it's difficult to know whether this actually counts as "stupidity".  However, it seems clear that the train driver at least had his smarts about him.  I don't know what he said but the passengers all seemed to get the message clearly enough!

I'm quite impressed that all the passengers (that we see anyway) actually complied in a prompt and sensible manner.

Edited by PatB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

well done that man!

I'll be the first to admit I'd be out of the cab and in the train/engine room if I could see the inevitable about to happen, my motto in life is "I want to die in my sleep, not screaming like all of my passengers"

• Like 13

Interesting CCTV footage of the actions of a Polish train driver seconds before a level crossing lorry crash from April 19.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/travel/2016/05/13/poland-train-crash-sfc-orig.cnn

Sorry if this is a duplicate - I didn't notice it in the discussion.

EDIT OK I see it's a duplicate - sorry, but can't find the delete button.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

So what did he hitt wasn't the knitting, as he would have hit that as he went over the first track, so it must have been some other wire, such as a telephone wire. I would have thought he reversed at the end to try to get the wire clear of his tipping mechanism. Mind you, the best way to get the wire clear of the tipping mechanism is not to get it in there in the first place.

I'm wondering why on earth he appears to be reversing at the end. Surprised he got as far as he did to be honest, no sign of it hitting anything until he was almost across.

typical tipper driver to be honest 

In the English papers it was made out that he was saving himself and leaving the passengers to fend for themselves, the video puts a very different slant on the episode doesnt it!