Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Gold

A list of all Network Rail level crossings as at September 2016 is here .

The page also contains a link to data in an Excel file which provides additional information, including type of level crossing installed.

Oh dear oh dear - one quick look and they've got one wrong!  Apart from that the vast majority of what is listed on there are not level crossings in the legal sense of the term - they are either occupation or accommodation crossings or footpath crossings, talk about a 'safety industry' approach to over complication.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cyclists often ignore red lights stop signs etc. If they don't follow the rules then it's only chance whether they get hit by a car or a train.

Edit for two typos.

To be pedantic, he was pushing his bike, so strictly speaking he was a pedestrian.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

The BBC should not be giving that stupid little girl any publicity at all. Let's hope that amongst her "fans" are the BTP.

I would think that the video would provide all the evidence they need, of course they would only give her 'advice' for the future and wouldnt do anything to stop her doing it again.

• RMweb Gold

I would think that the video would provide all the evidence they need, of course they would only give her 'advice' for the future and wouldnt do anything to stop her doing it again.

But regrettably (for the Driver's sake and that of others attending the site) a much closer future encounter with such a unit might stop her doing it forever.

• RMweb Premium

The BBC should not be giving that stupid little girl any publicity at all. Let's hope that amongst her "fans" are the BTP.

Indeed.

Just what kind of message and example does that put out to kids who maybe influenced by stunts like that one??

I despair of the dumbness displayed by some people these days I gota be honest.

She's dumb and irresponsible .

NR spend millions per year trying to get the message across and then idiots like this tip up treating it like their playground.

• RMweb Premium

i'm amazed that the Beeb have had anything to do with this - i doubt they'd show her video if she was shooting up, smoking crack or even just pi$$ing about on a motorway.

While artistic endeavours can do a lot to help people find an outlet for their 'frustrations', sometimes it just seems like an excuse for obnoxious behaviour.

"why did you do that???" "I was being creative and expressing my inner emotions through art" "No you were just being a **** "

• Like 1

Just what exactly are you guys talking about? I don't see anything related to level crossings - and when does walking up the middle of the road require the intervention of the BTP?

Now dressing up as Micky Mouse?

• RMweb Premium

Just what exactly are you guys talking about? I don't see anything related to level crossings - and when does walking up the middle of the road require the intervention of the BTP?

Now dressing up as Micky Mouse?

screenshot from BBC page:

post-1060-0-08934600-1483720373.jpg

and she's been to University too, so she's not thick - just stupid

• RMweb Premium

screenshot from BBC page:

attachicon.gifnr.jpg

and she's been to University too, so she's not thick - just stupid

The original page on the BBC web site has a statement from Network Rail expressing their "concern". I think that's been added since I looked at the page before.

• RMweb Gold

The original page on the BBC web site has a statement from Network Rail expressing their "concern". I think that's been added since I looked at the page before.

Extract from NR's internal site:

A spokesperson from the media team said: "We also reached out to the BBC and they have amended their article to include - Network Rail has asked us to point out that, while they applaud Nadia Rose on her success, they were concerned to see her music video set on the working railway.

"Trespassing on the railway is highly dangerous and can result in serious life-changing injuries or even death. As the operator of the railway, Network Rail has a responsibility for keeping passengers and visitors safe and we take these responsibilities very seriously. No one wants to stop young people from having innocent fun but they should do so safely without putting their lives at risk."

YouTube has also been contacted by the digital team and asked to take down the video on safety concerns.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Extract from NR's internal site:

A spokesperson from the media team said: "We also reached out to the BBC and they have amended their article to include - Network Rail has asked us to point out that, while they applaud Nadia Rose on her success, they were concerned to see her music video set on the working railway.

"Trespassing on the railway is highly dangerous and can result in serious life-changing injuries or even death. As the operator of the railway, Network Rail has a responsibility for keeping passengers and visitors safe and we take these responsibilities very seriously. No one wants to stop young people from having innocent fun but they should do so safely without putting their lives at risk."

YouTube has also been contacted by the digital team and asked to take down the video on safety concerns.

I wish them luck on that last point. I repeatedly flagged up a video  of kids playing chicken in front of trains a while ago and was ignored.

Apparently its called free speech even though it was obviously creating a lot of distress to the trains drivers, that didn't seem to matter.

Think a young English lad was killed recently in Paris exercising his right to free running such a stupid activity cant these youngsters be traced and jailed?

Why? They seem to be doing a good job of removing themselves from the gene pool themselves.

Think a young English lad was killed recently in Paris exercising his right to free running such a stupid activity cant these youngsters be traced and jailed?

Why? They seem to be doing a good job of removing themselves from the gene pool themselves.

Whilst I do have a certain sympathy with the thought of letting the terminally stupid remove themselves from society in spectacular fashion, the sad truth is that there will always be consequences. Witnesses, train drivers and passengers, other folk that have to clean up the mess etc etc etc. The list goes on. I wouldn't wish the trauma on them. I genuinely think the ONLY antidote to the kind of colossal stupidity often seen on this thread is a custodial sentence. Not a slap on the wrists, not a fine, but good old-fashioned removal of liberty. Despite the fact that jail cells often now resemble Premier Inn rooms with all mod cons, locking someone up gets them off the streets. Taking away someone's freedom hurts and is rarely forgotten. Cue possible "I won't be so bloody stupid in the future" attitude and a reformed character. Maybe...

Edit: ...a more determined effort to actually catch the knobheads would help too. In this age of CCTV, facial recognition software etc etc, how hard can it be? Often they do these stupid acts because they know no-one's going to chase them down. Cue the age-old excuse of "we don't have the resources". I read an article on the BBC news website this morning. Apparently the UK taxpayer has funded an Ethiopian girl band to the tune of £5million. Seriously??? Obviously the money is available. I think I know where I'd like to see some of it go, and it most certainly is not to the Ethiopian Spice Girls.

There. That was almost a Daily Mail rant wasn't it? Oops.

:O

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 2

Obviously the money is available. I think I know where I'd like to see some of it go, and it most certainly is not to the Ethiopian Spice Girls.

There. That was almost a Daily Mail rant wasn't it?

Given that the "Ethiopia's Spice Girls" is a dismissive label applied by The Daily Mail itself, then yes, I'd say that it was.

And the story was about funding for Girl Effect being withdrawn, so it looks like you've got your wish.

What was the slogan? "We've sent an Ethiopian women's rights group £5.3M.  Let's fund our BTP instead."  Catchy!  Rather overlooks the fact that the BTP is largely funded by the TOCs, though (which in turn are subsidised by the government, hmm...)

Oh, hang on: "...the government said there are "more effective ways" to invest UK aid."  So it looks like it might not be going to the BTP after all, but to some other non-deserving third world country instead...

At least we've stopped sending £200M a year to a country that runs its own space programme.  Oh, hang on, maybe we haven't after all.

Basically, the whole thing is a bit of a mess, and probably affords rich pickings for anyone who wants to find something to complain about.  Ideal source material for the Wail, then!

I preferred it when it had bilingual signs...

Was that English (obviously) and Italian ? I have read somewhere that this was just the second LC in the UK to be converted to an AHB crossing, in 1961; Searching the Railways Archive I could find no previous accident listed at this LC.