Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Runs for cover to avoid a hail of rotten duck eggs thrown by irate LNER fans!

Hmm, there's a thing... are rotten duck eggs worse than rotten chicken eggs? I suppose they are a slightly larger payload...

• RMweb Premium

Duck post-2326-0-80028500-1409308813.jpg well Mallard actually.

Henpost-2326-0-54976100-1409308834.jpg

Judge for yourself re payload.

This has just reminded me that many, many years ago my dear and long departed dad used to say "...don't be a duck egg..." when meaning to say don't be silly!

Edited by Mallard60022

Surely you would like to see my Western National again.I think it was Mikkel who hated the modelling cliché.

It's not this bus is it? A Leyland Titan TD1 with open staircase (1927?)

post-9751-0-46696200-1409310845_thumb.jpg

One of the origins of the phrase "with a face like the back of a bus".

I think this bus, a Leyland PD1, which took me to school (it's even got the correct route number) is much better, although I'm pretty sure they weren't used by Western National and are out of period for Brent anyway.

post-9751-0-32983700-1409311466.jpg

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 3

Is that leyland Titan still available in 1/76 would look good on Barkham Green?

If your local model shop can't oblige several are on eBay at the moment and not all at silly prices:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=western+national+leyland+titan&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xwestern+national+leyland+titan+td1&_nkw=western+national+leyland+titan+td1&_sacat=0

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Driving back through Kingsbridge today we were preceded by a green Western National single decker of about second half of the 1950s vintage. Took me right back to childhood.

Nice to hear from you again John it's been a while.How are you keeping ? Seeing that would have lifted my spirits as would a 'Tally Ho !' coach from down there.

• RMweb Gold

I think we need see these (again?) - "Brent Bridge Big Bus Weekend"

It was only last Christmas but over 150 pages ago. :O No it's not the ring and ride service for Captain Kernow.

post-126-0-74563000-1409332590_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Driving back through Kingsbridge today we were preceded by a green Western National single decker of about second half of the 1950s vintage. Took me right back to childhood.

Perhaps it was practising for this:

http://www.tvagwot.org.uk/kingsbridge.htm

Note the photograph mentioning : 1945 Bristol K

which  leads to this:

http://www.bristolsu.co.uk/k/operatordetails/westernnational/ftt703.htm  Registration No. FTT 703 Fleet No. 352.

and a quick search of  Modelbuszone leads to this:

http://www.modelbuszone.co.uk/ooc/dd/407/97854.htm Registration No. FTT 704 Fleet No. 353

Result - well nearly.

Pity it was rebuilt with new body work in 1955 - so no good for 1947, but you need a bus more buses for a 1957 buses on bridge cliche.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 4

Not my favourite shape for a locomotive...... Much prefer a GW King, a King Arthur or a LMS Dutchess.

Runs for cover to avoid a hail of rotten duck eggs thrown by irate LNER fans!

Agree.  While the A4s are pretty, I think the LMS streamlining was better and more typical of the era.  However, both were better than the GW effort of  meddling with a Castle and a King.  Both GW locos were far prettier in their  original form and were it not for the streamlining of everything from cars to toasters at the time, they would have been well left alone.

Brian.

• Like 1

Daughters are handy for presents like that, my two have got me a triple pack of Bachmann cattle wagons each (ex Hereford Models) for my birthday in three weeks time. :smoke:

Makes me think maybe I spoilt my Dad a bit too much by buying him an LB&SC L class kit from Langley for his birthday a few months ago! Have to be careful what I say though, he's started reading this thread daily!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No, I'm sorry, it has to he said - that advert has no place on this forum.

These sorts of images are not ones a responsible and civilised society should be broadcasting to those who are vulnerable to this sort of propaganda and dangerously suggestive practices.

I mean, what was the director thinking ?

Those fence posts are nowhere near substantial enough for retaining cattle.

If they were on a layout, the modeller would be laughed out of the clubroom or exhibition hall.

Please, please, consider the accuracy of these films before posting.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

No, I'm sorry, it has to he said - that advert has no place on this forum.

These sorts of images are not ones a resposible and civilised society should be broadcasting to those who are vunerable to this sort of propaganda and dangerously suggestive practices.

I mean, what was the director thinking ?

Those fence posts are nowhere near substantial enough for retaining cattle.

If they were on a layout, the modeller would be laughed out of the clubroom or exhibition hall.

Please, please, consider the accuracy of these films before posting.

And what's more the young lady involved doesn't seem to realise she could get serious sunburn in some tender (so I'm told) places.  As for the atrocious mess being advertised I presume it is some new way of disposing of Quorn sausages without the poor suckers who buy them realising what they are.