Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

.....glad you said Gin....I was getting worried as I read that.

P

I need something stronger after the frustrating afternoon I've had in the railway room. Also annoyed to find out it's the Farnham show as I'd have a shopping list for someone on here !

Glad someone else has bad days!  My trains run faultlessly most of the time but let somebody come and want to see them running, then you get the derailments, wrongly set points and unwanted uncoupling.  Or after spending hours repairing a loco only to put it back on the track and find out something else is wrong!

• RMweb Gold

Possible inspiration for the Finchings?

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/sargent-miss-eliza-wedgwood-and-miss-sargent-sketching-n03658

Just found it - illustrated in The Oldie. (which must say something about me)

Lovely painting though I must admit I find Miss Sketchings first name of Sargent somewhat unusual.......father ex military man perhaps?

Rob

• Like 1

Lovely painting though I must admit I find Miss Sketchings first name of Sargent somewhat unusual.......father ex military man perhaps?

Rob

Miss Sargent is the artist's (John S Sarjent) sister. Miss Emily Sargent is sketching and Miss Eliza Westwood is looking toward the artist.

Edited by Coombe Barton

Glad someone else has bad days!  My trains run faultlessly most of the time but let somebody come and want to see them running, then you get the derailments, wrongly set points and unwanted uncoupling.  Or after spending hours repairing a loco only to put it back on the track and find out something else is wrong!

Tell me about it, I have just been testing some of my fleet and the same things happening to me. I use to think my Farish Jubilees were fantastic, now I think they are rubbish as one of them has decided to shed its traction tyres. STUPID LOCOMOTIVE STUPID

• RMweb Gold

Miss Sargent is the artist's (John S Sarjent) sister. Miss Emily Sargent is sketching and Miss Eliza Westwood is looking toward the artist.

While we are on the subject of John S Sargent, there is of course a connection with the GWR. Between 1905 and 1914 the painter travelled widely. During this time, his regular travelling companions were Wilfrid de Glehn and Jane Emmet de Glehn. Wilfred was the son of Alexander Von Glehn, brother of Alfred Von Glehn. ( the von was dropped by the family in favour of the less Germanic, de in May 1917) Alfred was the British born designer of the de Glehn Atlantic's acquired by Churchward.

Painting below is of Wilfred and Jane as painted by John Sargent whilst on their travels.

On his death in 1925, John Sargent was buried at the Brookwood cemetery in London and may well have travelled on his last journey via the ex L&SWR branch line from the London necropolis company station close to Waterloo station.

Rob

post-14122-0-66533800-1413093767.jpg

post-14122-0-21190200-1413093784.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Talking about 7mm and I spent some time talking with John Edwards of the layout 82G fame and loco builder deluxe at the Gaydon show.

Poor photos but what about this beauty especially for Paul and Young Spams.DCC sound fitted 'Dartmoor' with wheel spin included but he couldn't get the wheels to match the sound.

post-126-0-69295200-1413123121_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-43881500-1413123138_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-78595900-1413123154_thumb.jpg

Incidently this loco can be seen in action at Warley.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A couple of ready to plant items were purchased that hopefully will grow on me.A low relief tree,Alder I think and another armature from the bonus bog on Ceynix Trees stand. http://www.ceynix.co.uk/

http://railwaytrees.co.uk/bonusboxes_50.html

Hopefully with a bit more work to highlight them they will do the job nicely.I've already snipped the rear branch off the armature and used it along the way.It sits nicely up against the backscene and will come to life with added Heki foliage.Good value for a fiver that one.

post-126-0-44360600-1413126606_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-92968500-1413126638_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-78086700-1413126653_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 10

Hi Robin, I went on Saturday, you couldn't move, its THE best show I've been to in years, spent a long tome looking at Llangenydd with a Howes Sound fitted Dukedog shuffling around the yard, and then on Wellbridge as well.

Great show IMHO.

• RMweb Premium

Talking about 7mm and I spent some time talking with John Edwards of the layout 82G fame and loco builder deluxe at the Gaydon show.

Poor photos but what about this beauty especially for Paul and Young Spams.DCC sound fitted 'Dartmoor' with wheel spin included but he couldn't get the wheels to match the sound.

attachicon.gifDSCN4851.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN4852.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN4854.jpg

Incidently this loco can be seen in action at Warley.

Anyone got a can opener? Some batter, deep fat fryer and a couple of handfulls of chips.

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to mention that one of my favourite layouts of all time is coming out of retirement for the Warley show next month.

"Dainton Bank"

Some sort of memorial to its late owner.A must see for me.