A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Caption suggestions:-

Goering fumes over cigar: "Bloody war - my last order from Hattons ended up in the English Channel. I'll tell them to send it in a Red Cross parcel next time."

Goering to underlings: "Look, Mussolini isn't the only one who can make the trains run to time!"

Goering muses to self: "Whenever I want to expand my train set I just phone Liverpool. Whenever the boss wants to expand his we have to invade another bloody country. Some people are never satisfied....."

• RMweb Premium

"Perhaps a bit more grass, Hermann ? "

"Never mind that - when we invade Britain we will convert all their model railways to HO"

Iain Rice would not approve of the viewing height, presentation or the lack of backscene. What was he thinking?

• RMweb Gold

[quote name="gwrrob" post="2827053"

Those Maunsell coaches are very subtly weathered and very tasty. I think his mogul engines appeal because of the jaunty angle of their cylinders - and their blinkers. More please!

• RMweb Gold
[quote name="gwrrob" post="2827053"

I think his mogul engines appeal because of the jaunty angle of their cylinders - and their blinkers. More please!

As for the N Class I believe Mr. Maunsell was assisted by a certain Mr Holcroft of Swindon pedigree when designing them....

• RMweb Premium

ame="Limpley Stoker" post="2827438" timestamp="1503262640"]

As for the N Class I believe Mr. Maunsell was assisted by a certain Mr Holcroft of Swindon pedigree when designing them....

The old N Class was a mix of some of the best practice from all the railways at the time. Superheated taper boiler, walschaerts valve gear, well laid out cab, easily maintainable. Very interesting when you read about how it came to be, born out of frustration with the ARLE not getting their act together and producing standard designs for the UK railways. Interesting what could have been...

• RMweb Gold

The old N Class was a mix of some of the best practice from all the railways at the time. Superheated taper boiler, walschaerts valve gear, well laid out cab, easily maintainable. Very interesting when you read about how it came to be, born out of frustration with the ARLE not getting their act together and producing standard designs for the UK railways. Interesting what could have been...

I used to be fascinated by these engines running on the Tonbridge- Redhill line when I lived in Surrey as a lad.

Could you explain ARLE please for the uninitiated?