A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Oh, and was there an Association of Railway Signal Engineers?

You really are a VERY naughty man......

• RMweb Gold

The 64xx autocoach service leaves for Saltash.

attachicon.gif96.jpg

Hi Robin,

Is that the standard Airfix autocoach? Looks like you've done some some detailing work on it.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin,

Is that the standard Airfix autocoach? Looks like you've done some some detailing work on it.

Cheers,

Mark

Yes, I've painted the roof and added passengers !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I've painted the roof and added passengers !

I thought you had tweaked it. It's a nice improvement painting the roof.

• RMweb Gold

Oh, and was there an Association of Railway Signal Engineers?

The then-president of the IRSE made it quite clear that Institution was the only possible choice! He commuted daily from Harrogate to London when I knew him in the early 90s. Regret to say I can't recall his name.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Specsavers for you Matey Southern indeed. :jester:

Now then Mr Savers,

Let's look at the evidence shall we? That Mr Parkin wot writted his MK1 coach book says...

post-6675-0-09442500-1503349550_thumb.jpg

So the MK1 and Bulleids coaches were the same length and same bogies centres.

Using the same length results in using the sort of internal dimensions for compartments, toilets, corridors etc. This gives some very similar internal layouts. Here's two to be going on with...

Corridor composite (mirror image but identical otherwise).

post-6675-0-03508500-1503349782_thumb.jpg

Open (look very similar to me).

post-6675-0-81195000-1503349873_thumb.jpg

Now internal layouts and body length being the same/similar does tend to place doors and windows in the same/similar positions. Granted the MK1 windows are generally slightly narrower and a little deeper.

So that's my bid for which region's coaches are most similar to the MK1 designs. Any advances??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Filthy moguls never offend on here.

attachicon.gif94.jpg

attachicon.gif95.jpg

I'm going to Steam museum , Swindon at the weekend if there are any photo requests. SWMBO has arranged this with my eldest daughter's help to celebrate our pearl wedding anniversary. I've said countless times on here how fortunate I am.

1366 please.

• RMweb Gold

Its surprising even in 1946 that they still liked the idea of compartment stock over open.

Brian.

Still true in modern times, Brian. Passengers, particularly first class passengers, prefer the privacy of single compartments, and the railways' insistence on open accommodation is not to please the customer!

• RMweb Premium

Still true in modern times, Brian. Passengers, particularly first class passengers, prefer the privacy of single compartments, and the railways' insistence on open accommodation is not to please the customer!

Yup, don't want the riff raf nearby do they.......................(sometimes a benefit, unless, of course, you are sitting in a comfortable compartment and then a gang of ruffians come in as well).

I like the concept of Open Carriages as with Munsell and Bullied. When trains were well managed by a strict Guard and most passengers (not customers) were reasonably well behaved in public (except on certain late night trains to the Borders) the they were communal spaces to enjoy. There was a sort of mutual understanding. These days loads of people are just far too selfish and thougtless about others.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

In a similar vein to rob's comment above, I'm on the Severn Valley today. If there any photo requests, happy to try and help!

David

Anything Spamlike please!!!!!!! They have some good looking Gresley coaches as well IIRC, if they are available. 

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Now then Mr Savers,

Let's look at the evidence shall we? That Mr Parkin wot writted his MK1 coach book says...

attachicon.gifrps20170821_220048.jpg

So the MK1 and Bulleids coaches were the same length and same bogies centres.

Using the same length results in using the sort of internal dimensions for compartments, toilets, corridors etc. This gives some very similar internal layouts. Here's two to be going on with...

Corridor composite (mirror image but identical otherwise).

attachicon.gifrps20170821_220141.jpg

Open (look very similar to me).

attachicon.gifrps20170821_220218.jpg

Now internal layouts and body length being the same/similar does tend to place doors and windows in the same/similar positions. Granted the MK1 windows are generally slightly narrower and a little deeper.

So that's my bid for which region's coaches are most similar to the MK1 designs. Any advances??

Smartass  :punish: don't get cocky dickie with me.  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

You really are a VERY naughty man......

I was seconded to a team working on the M&EE area reorganisation back in 1989. We tried to make up "interesting" job names to lighten the load a little. My favourite was "Area Rolling Stock and Overhead Line Engineer".

• RMweb Gold

I was seconded to a team working on the M&EE area reorganisation back in 1989. We tried to make up "interesting" job names to lighten the load a little. My favourite was "Area Rolling Stock and Overhead Line Engineer".

I never understood some M&EE designations. After all, on the South Eastern we had a Divisional Traction Engineer (Allan Barter in my day), but his deputy was Area Maintenance Engineer (Nigel Cartledge). Your proposal is at least as sound!

• RMweb Premium

I never understood some M&EE designations. After all, on the South Eastern we had a Divisional Traction Engineer (Allan Barter in my day), but his deputy was Area Maintenance Engineer (Nigel Cartledge). Your proposal is at least as sound!

I remember them - good eggs both.

• RMweb Gold

May I suggest that you have a shufty at the U1's cylinder jauntiness. Excellent and quite superior to the humble N.

Interesting that the N was a 'universal' Mogul that was of a similar ilk to the GWR 2.6.0s and lo, the Midland and the LNER decided that they needed a go anywhere, do most things Mogul. The B1 was very successful and the Black 5 was ok but had naughty Injectors/Ejectors so I'm told. I like all of them and the last steam loco of BR I was hauled by was 45101 from Man Vic to Bolton in '66 I think it was.

As this is such a friendly thread and very diverse, may I ask the following? My 64XX Baccy Panniers require 6 Pin Decoders. Is there anyone that lurks here that uses DCC and has found the 'ideal' Decoder for their Baccy Pannier(s)? Thanks. I'd try a Hornby one but they are Baccy Loco's ! I'd try a Baccy Decoder but have been 'warned' about them!

Phil

B1s had a serious problem in that as they built up mileage so their riding deteriorated and they got very rough, in fact dangerously rough asa  pal of mine found out when he was thrown off the footplate of one in his firing days (fortunately he managed to grab a handrail as he went over the side and got back into the cab.  Up in the north of England even ex LMS enginemen preferred B16s to B1s  (as related in one edition of 'Locomotives illustrated' which covered the B16s).