A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Pedant mode.Which year ? I think ....if my failing grey cells still have battery life......rationing finally bit the dust in 1953. Agree about the copper and brass.That postwar era is ....thanks to Robin and his like.....now getting the recognition it deserves.

July 1954 actually Ian, sweets ceased to be rationed in February 1953, sugar rationing ended in September 1953,  and meat (including bacon) and any other remaining food rationing ended in July 1954.  Clothes rationing, and presumably utility clothing marking?, ended in 1949 but I don't know how long utility furniture persisted (except at home where the dining table and chairs lasted until the 1970s and a chest of drawers stayed in use in the garage until I burnt it when I cleared out the garage in 2007.

No doubt you can remember better than me sweets coming off ration - all I can remember is that suddenly I was occasionally bought more sweets more often which was something that hadn't happened before although I don't think I knew why the change had come about.  I can also remember being out shopping with my mum and coupons being used in the butchers.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

July 1954 actually Ian, sweets ceased to be rationed in February 1953, sugar rationing ended in September 1953,  and meat (including bacon) and any other remaining food rationing ended in July 1954.  Clothes rationing, and presumably utility clothing marking?, ended in 1949 but I don't know how long utility furniture persisted (except at home where the dining table and chairs lasted until the 1970s and a chest of drawers stayed in use in the garage until I burnt it when I cleared out the garage in 2007.

No doubt you can remember better than me sweets coming off ration - all I can remember is that suddenly I was occasionally bought more sweets more often which was something that hadn't happened before although I don't think I knew why the change had come about.  I can also remember being out shopping with my mum and coupons being used in the butchers.

p

Oh yes....the butcher's ration at one time being two ( old ) pennies worth of meat per person.Unbelievable in these days when we are warned of the perils of over eating red meat.But the shortages were real enough.My mother sacrificed her butter ration in order that she could feed her sickly infant ( me ! ). Her ultimate reward for that gesture was that when butter finally came off ration ,I switched allegiance to.......margarine. Oh the ungrateful boy that I was.

There was of course the legendary "black market" When Friday grocery shopping came round and out would come the coupons,there was always a nod from our friendly shopkeeper with regard to items that were ....as it was phrased......"under the counter".That is to say produce that had not gone through the accredited system.The number of pigs that died nobly but illegally to supply bacon was numerous.Eggs were to be had by much the same route. Chicken strangely was another matter.Fresh birds were elusive. Tinned chicken a luxury. At primary school we once each received a gift of a tin of "Stewed Steak" a gift to the starving British children from the good citizens of the Commonwealth of Australia.( this is a coincidence as by now my own son should have arrived in Melbourne after his long flight....hope he can sample some good Pacific Rim cuisine . I'll perhaps remind him to thank the Aussies for that tin )

We always did OK for groceries as my mother was the district nurse. Her services were always appreciated.Thank God. She was in at the beginning of the NHS .I think we are celebrating that this week ? Sorry to ramble on.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Aah, utility furniture. We had it in our first flat together. Bought second hand of course... Pleased to say the chest of drawers is still going strong. The drawers being used for well... drawers!

• Like 1

I wish you hadn't reminded again of that site - some really depressing photos of Brent :jester:

Although equally non-cheery, to the extent it’s not featured here before, this is an excellent site

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/brent/index.shtml

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/k/kingsbridge/index.shtml

David

Edited by Clearwater

• RMweb Gold

I must say the utility van finishes off the ensemble very nicely. Charming vehicles.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I hear Justin Webb is in the Naughty corner after yesterday’s Today programme. Was it vacant?

I see the tags to this thread include ‘humour’ and ‘naughty step’, oh, GWR and a few engines as well.

Edited by Limpley Stoker

• RMweb Gold

Damn I seem to have completely missed the ANTB brand relaunch.

You were there from the first page David, thanks for your custom. ;)

No VAR needed on this thread either. :jester: