RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I'm happy with the AS announcement, of course I am, but I am also in a grump and have just posted some comments on the main thread.

Today was my first encounter with so-called 'smart' technology and it proved to be smarter than me.

Oh, for those analogue days!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'm happy with the AS announcement, of course I am, but I am also in a grump and have just posted some comments on the main thread.

Our (only) 9 year old TV failed completely last night, no prospect of repair, of course, so an expensive morning was had today, buying a replacement.

This was my first encounter with a 'smart' TV and it proved to be smarter than me.

I was just about to give up and phone the shop and pay the extra fee for a young person to come and set it up for us, when CTMK demonstrated her effortless superiority in matters of technology and got it working...

Oh, for those analogue days!

Don’t worry.I’ve had mine three years & I’m only just beginning to get the hang of it. If you do master the tech bit,your consolation is that there are some decent railway videos to be seen on YouTube. As an example I’ve just watched one taken just a few days ago at York of a Steam Dreams special excursion arriving behind Deltic 9022 (with both Napier Deltic  engines powered up btw ) .The Deltic is then replaced by an immaculate A4 6007 which then takes the train forward to Newcastle. Most diverting it was….so perseverance will reap rewards. For GW diehards there is also the Didcot Castle extravaganza earlier in the year and the SVR steam gala with Accurascale’s 7714 Pannier ,Hagley Hall, Pendennis Castle and lots of chocolate & cream. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Does anyone know the likleyhood of a Laira based pannier ending up running through Brent?

Looking at the Dec47 shed list NA gives 4 potential locos, 5798 which could be modelled from 5741 (which would I think need ATC bits adding).  The only stumbling block being that I dont know when it gained a topfeed.

There's a late 50s colour photo  of her with top feed here @The Fatadder

https://colourrail.co.uk/gallery/steam

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Just catching up with the pannier announcement and a couple of thanks due here to Mike @The Stationmaster and Paul @Islesy in working together to bring it to market . Of course  Neal's @Neal Ball poll would have helped too and there's plenty of options for future batches to come.

Pannier Papers No.3 can be had right now for 8 sheets on Ebay.

As for renumbering, Paul has gone into a lot of research for each number, 5741 is the GWR liveried version chosen. I'd be happy to keep it that and wait for a Laira example to come in future batches.

This will definitely get into The First Class Pannier Lounge. I shall take some photos at Warley for you all.

Thanks for the mention Rob, but the 57xx project, and the plaudits for a job well done, is most definitely Steve’s - he’s pulled it all together and delivered the goods; I just got the ball rolling 😉

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Our (only) 9 year old TV failed completely last night, no prospect of repair, of course, so an expensive morning was had today, buying a replacement.

This was my first encounter with a 'smart' TV and it proved to be smarter than me.

As a wise man once said, inanimate objects  labelled "smart" rarely are.

Adrian

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, figworthy said:

As a wise man once said, inanimate objects  labelled "smart" rarely are.

Adrian

Agreed.

My Smart TV seems to lose its marbles about every 4-6 weeks and needs a restart to get it to behave again.

Having to turn the volume up way above the normal number to get the normal level is a good warning sign.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Nothing much, keep moving...

The devil is in the detail and I don’t think you can model the devils Pannier 4666 from this first announcement batch.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, A Murphy said:

Got mine this am, thanks Ian👍

One of the very few genuine bargains on offer this weekend. I ordered both GW and BR variants. Hattons Sale is remarkable.But they’re not going to the NEC nor for that matter are Rails. And I too have opted out. Rail travel will be rammed as it’s a pre Xmas weekend. Driving isn’t an option although my journey would be relatively straightforward but with M42 traffic and the hassle and cost of parking,it’s not a prospect to be relished.To cap it all,I can’t in any case drive as last Saturday I fell over on the outside step and now my wrist is in a splint as something is broken/cracked. Happy days. If you’re going then enjoy all

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'd completely forgotten it was Warley this weekend, it just doesn't feature on my radar any more.

As it's on my doorstep I'll go on Sunday and be a fanboy on the Accurascale/Rapido stands.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
Just now, gwrrob said:

on the Accurascale/Rapido stands.

If you do get a chance to speak to AS, Robin, please could you implore them not to use the same chunky flange profile on the panniers as they did on the Manors?... (this was the main reason I didn't seek to replace my poor-running Torquay Manor with a different example).

Thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'd completely forgotten it was Warley this weekend, it just doesn't feature on my radar any more.

This will be the first time that I've attended. I expect it'll be quite the experience and am looking forward to it.

I would like to attend exhibitions next year and between Thornbury last weekend and Warley tomorrow, I expect to have had a good introduction back into it all, given that I can't really remember the exhibitions I attended 35 years ago with my dad.

Edited by RobAllen
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Likewise, Tim. I haven't been since the pandemic.

Up and back in the day was getting too much like hard work even before bits of me started an overtime ban!

I keep promising myself a hotel break so I can get the train up on Wednesday, do half days Thurs/Fri at the bike show, and Sat/Sun at the Warley, then train home on Monday, but circumstances conspired against it this year. Fingers crossed for 2024....

Swapmeet and lunch at Matford tomorrow as a consolation prize! I have a nice shiny new razor saw blade and it needs some conversion fodder to run it in.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

If you do get a chance to speak to AS, Robin, please could you implore them not to use the same chunky flange profile on the panniers as they did on the Manors?... (this was the main reason I didn't seek to replace my poor-running Torquay Manor with a different example).

Thanks.

The Manor has RP25-110 profiles just like all of our stock (and the NMRA standard) so they are certainly not in any way describable as ‘chunky’ lol

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

16 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

FYI all ANTB disciples….Rapido Toads now £20 in Black Friday sale at Hattons.

Brilliant!

Managed to score two * Parkside LMS cattle Wagon kits, a Rapido SR 8 plank and some HH scenics all 35-40% off, that's the sort of tip which earns you one "Non-erodable Brownie Point" #

Thx,

Colin

# validity - only in Oz, I'm afraid

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, McC said:

The Manor has RP25-110 profiles just like all of our stock (and the NMRA standard) so they are certainly not in any way describable as ‘chunky’ lol

Unfortunately there's something amiss here.

The Manor didn't like my OO-SF pointwork (which before you enquire, was meticulously built with all the right gauges and clearances). The loco bumped over the crossing 'V'/checkrail area and the tender actually derailed each time. The back-to-backs on this Manor seemed to be 14.5mm, which is consistent with all my Romford/Markits-fitted locos.

There is another manufacturer, who's flanges appear to be the same 'chunky' profile and that also bumps through the same area. Back-to-backs are consistent on this loco with that of the Manor and all my other stock.

Most of my locos on this layout have Romfords or Markits RP25 wheels and run very happily through the OO-SF pointwork.

The same applies to a lot of Bachmann locos, also some Hornby, some Dapol as well. Heljan diesels are a problem, so have had to have their wheels changed (for finer equivalents).

Changing the wheels on an AS Manor would take far too long and given that there is only a tenuous excuse to have a Manor running in any case, that's enough to make me decide not to replace that Manor (it ran badly anyway, so the retailer took it back).

The 'other manufacturers' loco has 3mm axles, so I have obtained a set of Markits wheels with 3mm axles to replace the RTR wheelsets. That process looks to be a lot more straightforward.

I don't know what is the cause of these issues, if you say that the Manor has RP25-110 profile wheels, but what are Bachmann, Hornby, Dapol et al doing right, that enables me to run their locos without any problems?

I remember you or one of your colleagues saying that the J69 would have different profile wheels.

Incidentally, when a friend kindly lent me his Rapido 15XX to try through my pointwork, that went through with no problem whatsoever!

• Informative/Useful 1