A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Is an Australian pasty a sort of reshaped Australian 'meat pie'?  For those not familiar with Australian 'meat pies' they are actually part of a competition run by various retailers - the first part of the competition is to find out if it actually contains any meat; that bit is easy.  the second part however is far more difficult as it involves deciding what sort of animal the meat actually came from - with nothing on any packaging or in a  shop which makes its own etc to give you even a clue about that part of the quiz.  However the good news is that at times the second part is extremely easy because if there has recently been a cull of kangaroos then the pie will invariably contain kangaroo meat as it would be much cheaper than just about anything else with the possible exception of goat.

Sorry about the last bit - if you buy it by mail order from a good quality supplier goat meat is in fact quite expensive compared with the meat you can get at Woolworths.

The problem here with pasties and pork pies isn't the filling - notwithstanding Mike's very pertinent comments on the Great Australian Meat Pie - but the pastry, which is generally soggy and chewy as well as seeming to contain too much salt.

Having said that, roo meat is excellent - very lean and with a taste somewhere between prime beef and venison.

• RMweb Premium

:sarcastichand:

Sadly when it comes to pastys. I will eat anything that resembles one,  Over here there are claimants to the name but invariably have little to recommend  them, minced meat to start with, carrots?  Carrots!!  Usually the pastys are funny misshapen things with the crinkle on the top, no natural juices but commercial gravy served on the side.  How bad is that!.  If you are lucky and live in an area where Cornish miners emigrated years ago, you may find pasty shops with pastys that are quite good; not by Mothers standard, but usually quite edible. 

I keep looking on Amazon Prime for someone to export some.

Brian.

Ron Ivor Dewdneys outside St. Leven gate do a postal service for proper Devon Oggies.

http://ivordewdney.co.uk/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Philps of Hayle do a postal service.  Best pasties ever.  And good saffron cake too.

That's started a riot.........

• Like 1

Did they ever actually sell meat? I don't recall ever seeing it in their stores.

I think The Stationmaster was referring to the Australian Woolworths:

post-9751-0-70662900-1502879163.png

Other than having the same name quite legally, the Australian Woolworths has nothing to do with the defunct British version of Woolworths that eked out it's dog days flogging a couple of bags of sweets and the odd CD when it could.

• RMweb Gold

Ron Ivor Dewdneys outside St. Leven gate do a postal service for proper Devon Oggies.

http://ivordewdney.co.uk/

But only in part of the UK, no overseas service.

attachicon.gifWoolworths_Stacked_Tag_RGB_Positive_HR.png

Other than having the same name quite legally, the Australian Woolworths has nothing to do with the defunct British version of Woolworths that eked out it's dog days flogging a couple of bags of sweets and the odd CD when it could.

Exactly so - and very good indeed for fresh fruit I found (and not the most expensive by a big margin although the quality was top notch).

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifWoolworths_Stacked_Tag_RGB_Positive_HR.png

Ah - a bit like what the Aussies call what we call Sellotape...

• RMweb Premium

Is an Australian pasty a sort of reshaped Australian 'meat pie'?  For those not familiar with Australian 'meat pies' they are actually part of a competition run by various retailers - the first part of the competition is to find out if it actually contains any meat; that bit is easy.  the second part however is far more difficult as it involves deciding what sort of animal the meat actually came from - with nothing on any packaging or in a  shop which makes its own etc to give you even a clue about that part of the quiz.  However the good news is that at times the second part is extremely easy because if there has recently been a cull of kangaroos then the pie will invariably contain kangaroo meat as it would be much cheaper than just about anything else with the possible exception of goat.

Sorry about the last bit - if you buy it by mail order from a good quality supplier goat meat is in fact quite expensive compared with the meat you can get at Woolworths.

Hey what?!

Sir I think you are confusing the Australian meat pie with the Frankfurt (or Hot Dog) sausage.

• RMweb Premium

Hey what?!

Sir I think you are confusing the Australian meat pie with the Frankfurt (or Hot Dog) sausage.

As long as he doesn't confuse it with a Dagwood Dog (and don't even mention Chiko Rolls...).

• RMweb Gold

LMS actually Bobby baby. ;)

Oops silly me,  :blush:  sorry, it was that LNER Diarrhoea brown colour that threw me and even sillier   :crazy: I've one in a box somewhere but Hornby do make a similar LNER van.

• RMweb Gold

Oops silly me,  :blush:  sorry, it was that LNER Diarrhoea brown colour that threw me and even sillier   :crazy: I've one in a box somewhere but Hornby do make a similar LNER van.

It's the one I dropped on the floor and had to replace the buffers with Dave Franks replacements.

B Fingers

• RMweb Gold

Ah, Newton Abbot! Where I have to change in order to catch the train to Torre, where Sherry picks me up. Many years ago, in the days when men reminisced about matters military, including conscription, a chap told me about spending time on manoeuvres on Dartmoor. In the same way that a man writing to his beloved might write on the back of the envelope SWALK (sealed with a loving kiss), so if writing to his mates he might write CHINA (crumpet hunting in Newton Abbot). Alternative interpretations of the word beginning with C are available, I understand. 

• Like 2

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Alternative interpretations of the word beginning with C are available, I understand. 

Well that's done it - you've just made me choke on a Hobnob. Are you aware that you need a license to be that funny? Glad to see ANTB at it's most mischievous, anarchic, and occasionally surreal best.

• RMweb Gold

It's the one I dropped on the floor and had to replace the buffers with Dave Franks replacements.

B Fingers

B Fingers

A lady down the road had her buffers replaced recently. I think she was hoping for a new coupling too.