A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Superb, though please could I rock the superlative boat and enquire where the smokebox door dart has gone?

CoY

I think it's fallen off in Marley Head Tunnel.... ;)

Robin knows the story behind this loco and all I'll say is what should have been a straight forward renumber/rename turned into a bit of a nightmare...:O

You name it and it went wrong.  It's the 3rd smokebox door dart it's had but it's an easy repair. ;)

I'm just pleased to see 7427 and 1022 running on ANTB and thank Robin for taking the photos and hope he's enjoying running them both.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it's fallen off in Marley Head Tunnel.... ;)

You name it and it went wrong.  It's the 3rd smokebox door dart it's had but it's an easy repair. ;)

I'll add one to my Warley shopping list Mark. :read: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Really do like a county. My conversation job is currently mid way through painting, I live in hope that a current standard model eventually appears, (no doubt at the same time as the 12 inch to the foot model hits the rails.

Mine is being finished as county of Somerset, but I would really like a model of 1000 with its full footplate lining. I just don’t fancy doing that fine lining myself

• Like 1

Whoops!

That was the before. This is the after...

5917 Westminster Hall in wartime black. I know she would have been in black in 1947 as GWRJ No 8 gave her as going into Swindon works and coming out in black in Spring 1944 (iirc) and so it is reasonbale to assume that she wouldn't have gone back into GWR green prior to nationlisation. 

post-18813-0-23677700-1508685051_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-42240200-1508685054_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-48238900-1508685057_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-69105900-1508685061_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-37431400-1508685069_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-63258600-1508685072_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-60191100-1508685076_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-10080100-1508685086_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-20204000-1508686769_thumb.jpg

This is my first ever, properly completed RTR upgrade, and I've had this in mind since getting one of the cheap Olton Hall's from Hornby back in 2014 when they were flogging them off for forty notes(?). As such, from front to rear I've added:

A smokebox door dart

Lead weight in the smokebox/front of boiler barrell

Brass name and numberplates

Power and weight restriction indicators on the cab side

Replacement cabside L handrails 

Fully detailed cab

Real coal (from Carrog station!)

Replacement vertical and horizontal tender handrails.

Finished in:

Halfords satin black

Fox transfers for wartime locos

Testors Dullcote to finish

I am pretty pleased with it to be honest. She's currently doing about 75mph on my rolling road. 

Cheers, 

CoY

P.S - I cannot get the vertical pictures to go horizontal, no matter what I try! 

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Whoops!

That was the before. This is the after...

5917 Westminster Hall in wartime black. I know she would have been in black in 1947 as GWRJ No 8 gave her as going into Swindon works and coming out in black in Spring 1944 (iirc) and so it is reasonbale to assume that she wouldn't have gone back into GWR green prior to nationlisation. 

attachicon.gifIMG_1517.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1518.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1519.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1520.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1522.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1523.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1524.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1529.JPG

This is my first ever, properly completed RTR upgrade, and I've had this in mind since getting one of the cheap Olton Hall's from Hornby back in 2014 when they were flogging them off for forty notes(?). As such, from front to rear I've added:

A smokebox door dart

Brass name and numberplates

Power and weight restriction indicators on the cab side

Fully detailed cab

Real coal (from Carrog station!)

Replacement vertical and horizontal tender handrails.

Finished in:

Halfords satin black

Fox transfers for wartime locos

Testors Dullcote to finish

I am pretty pleased with it to be honest. She's currently doing about 75mph on my rolling road. 

Cheers, 

CoY

P.S - I cannot get the vertical pictures to go horizontal, no matter what I try! 

Nice work and conversion ;) 

I've plates here to do another as 5913 Rushton Hall in plain wartime black. 

Robin's 5993 Kirby Hall started life as a red Olton Hall as well.

• Like 3

Just returned from the Taunton Show and picked up a copy of Model Rail which I decided to read whilst waiting for my return train connection home.

I got rather engrossed in the Brent article and excellent photographs that I very, very nearly missed my train ! 

Mind you, i'd have been prepared to wait for the next one and finish it  :locomotive:  :senile:

Well done Rob.

H.A.R.Dovehearing

Edited by bgman
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I think it was the Two Ronnies who told us of a proposal to merge Northampton and Southampton, to produce one enormous hampton. They further advised that the plan had been shelved due to protests from the residents of Littlehampton, where Sherry’s ex was born.....

As you will recall Ian, it was known to all on the Central Division as Little Dick.

• RMweb Gold

Great article and Chris Nevard pics in MR. Particularly like the panoramic one of 5551 and B set heading onto the branch.  As Baldric might have said, that small prairie is more inoffensive than a thing wot is very inoffensive indeed my lord.  

John C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice job on it,

Re the photos assume you have taken on an iPhone? No idea what the reason for it is, but true soloution is to crop a small amount off the top after which it should work ok

all I photos are taken on I phone, yungun'

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great article and Chris Nevard pics in MR. Particularly like the panoramic one of 5551 and B set heading onto the branch.  As Baldric might have said, that small prairie is more inoffensive than a thing wot is very inoffensive indeed my lord.  

John C.

My favourite shot in that article too John, thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I had to go to Newton Abbot this morning, where amongst other things, I bought a new airbrush at the excellent Bekra Models.

I also went into WH Smith and specially bought a copy of Model Rail for the article on 'N' scale scenery ANTB, and most excellent it was, too!

Mr Nevard has certainly produced some superb photos again.

I was slightly surprised, however, to see that they had used the services of a member of Model Rail staff for the words of the article, rather than you yourself, Robin. I personally don't like that for any articles on my own layouts, I prefer to write my own words, even if they us a little editorial licence afterwards. Is this standard procedure with Model Rail now?

• RMweb Gold

I was slightly surprised, however, to see that they had used the services of a member of Model Rail staff for the words of the article, rather than you yourself, Robin. I personally don't like that for any articles on my own layouts, I prefer to write my own words, even if they us a little editorial licence afterwards. Is this standard procedure with Model Rail now?

It's the way MR do the layouts that never leave home , with an interview over the phone as he [Mike] takes notes etc. No fee is paid this way.I've just heard that Mike Harris is now leaving MR this week for pastures new. Was it something I said I wonder. Hornby Magazine do the same as BRM.

This is a worrying trend.  What difference does it make whether or not the layout leaves home?

Chris

• RMweb Gold

This is a worrying trend.  What difference does it make whether or not the layout leaves home?

Chris

There's no difference, as you are the harshest/fairest critic on here, what did you think of the article Chris ? :read: 

• RMweb Gold

Chris

I think you might be looking at from the wrong angle Chris.  The point is to feature layouts that people wouldn't have the opportunity to see because, unlike exhibition layouts, they never leave home.