A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Having seen and heard the word 'bogie' seemingly forever, how did it get the name? Also, when did its alternative, 'pilot' come into being?  Its used more over here as that was when I first heard of it.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Why does it have LMS cylinders?

Well, that's rather impertinent, coming from one sentenced to many years on the Naughty Step, without hope of remission, parole or apple crumble, but perhaps you should consider it this way - 'why do LMS locos have GWR cylinders?'

• Like 3

Well, that's rather impertinent, coming from one sentenced to many years on the Naughty Step, without hope of remission, parole or apple crumble, but perhaps you should consider it this way - 'why do LMS locos have GWR cylinders?'

Stanier

• RMweb Premium

It's missing some metal rods though to help make the wheels go round and round.

Stanier was obviously a quick learner and soon added these missing bits to his own locomotives.

No apple crumble? Justice must be done, but that's just cruel, very cruel.

• RMweb Gold

It's missing some metal rods though to help make the wheels go round and round.

Stanier was obviously a quick learner and soon added these missing bits to his own locomotives.

You mean to say that he didn't use chains - how very unpatriotic of you. (or was there a shortage of bicycles outside Crewe works and the LMS couldn't find enough chains?)

• RMweb Gold

You mean to say that he didn't use chains - how very unpatriotic of you. (or was there a shortage of bicycles outside Crewe works and the LMS couldn't find enough chains?)

They seem to have had an abundance of pink paint.   :bad:    :jester:

• RMweb Gold

They seem to have had an abundance of pink paint.   :bad:    :jester:

I have it on good authority that in fact he was colour blind and it was all a terrible mistake.

Hi All,

No. 5322 is known as ‘The Donkey’ at 81E as it bucked about a bit due to its poor valve timing on its first steaming after overhaul the last time round - I’ve been on that, driven it, but not nodded at it. That’s a genuine GWR nodding donkey - does this make it more authentic?

I will nod at it the next time I’m on shed and report back...

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 4

This morning I have been mostly nodding at my Dapol GWR Railcar - had to test it, as you do - arrived yesterday from Sheffield at a bargain price.

I will adjourn to the sleeping quarters shortly though to contemplate the finite existence of the 5 pints of Batham’s finest bitter that I have also just tested......

• Like 2