A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Given that you can pick up any of the GWR liveried Kings for around seventy - ninety notes depending on version, and add some HMRS/Fox/Modelmaster transfers of choice, and add some matt black under the running plate, which mug is going to pay £160 plus for this? The fabled 'R Number' collectors? 

In fact, I think - I forget exactly where - at one point you could get 'The Bristolian' train pack for around £130, which with the three Colletts coming in at (say) £30 a piece, you were getting a King in shirtbutton livery for £40!

CoY

I reckon there are now no more than a couple of hundred R number collectors at the very most ; several I knew of have well and truly dropped of the perch and you'd need one heck of a lot of cash to carry on with that 'hobby' nowadays.  One retailer I know used to have 20 of them on his books although nearly all of them just went for locos, that number is I believe now almost nil.

Alas the latest 'King', which amounts to a Year 3 model, is an example of Hornby's more stupid management at their good old best and an excellent way to lose money.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

In the Wild Swan book by Copsey , The Great Western in South Devon, it has the lists a selection of trains for '47. No diagrams of course just the type of coach used. I'll have to whip my Hornby Staniers out won't I. :onthequiet:

Mine arrived this morning, it's a quiet an eye opener some of the photo's therein.

Thanks for posting Rob

• Like 2

I reckon there are now no more than a couple of hundred R number collectors at the very most ; several I knew of have well and truly dropped of the perch and you'd need one heck of a lot of cash to carry on with that 'hobby' nowadays. One retailer I know used to have 20 of them on his books although nearly all of them just went for locos, that number is I believe now almost nil.

Alas the latest 'King', which amounts to a Year 3 model, is an example of Hornby's more stupid management at their good old best and an excellent way to lose money.

Aside from the cash, you also need a hell of a lot of storage space...

• RMweb Gold

As that page says 2 left in stock and more on the way, maybe not....

If it's out of print, then Amazon or a good second-hand railway bookshop is the only way to get a copy.

If it is in print, then to my mind, there is no excuse for not supporting a bona fide railway bookshop like http://www.titfield.co.uk/

:)

• RMweb Premium

If it's out of print, then Amazon or a good second-hand railway bookshop is the only way to get a copy.

If it is in print, then to my mind, there is no excuse for not supporting a bona fide railway bookshop like http://www.titfield.co.uk/

:)

I agree, Amazon was the quickest way to get a cover shot of the right edition though. There's lots of S/H copies floating around too.

• RMweb Premium

Chris's Amazon image shows the current, year 2000, edition. I have the 1980 edition too, and it is much thinner and the typeface is primitive.

Yes, definitely check which version you are getting. As Ian rightly says later edition(s) were greatly expanded with lots more info (and a much better typeface). One with a green cover is a safe bet.

• RMweb Premium

While we're on the subject of Southern coaches it's probably worth mentioning that the other main reference (often referred to as just 'King') is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-History-Southern-Coaches/dp/0860935701

Covering all early, Maunsell and Bulleids coaches produced in the Southern period.

The Gould and King books obviously have overlap but also look at things from a different perspective. As a combined set they are great as I'm sure Quackers and Ian will agree.

• RMweb Gold

While we're on the subject of Southern coaches it's probably worth mentioning that the other main reference soften referred to as just 'King') is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-History-Southern-Coaches/dp/0860935701

Covering all early, Maunsell and Bulleids coaches produced in the Southern period.

The Gould and King books obviously have overlap but also look at things from a different perspective. As a combined set they are great as I'm sure Quackers and Ian will agree.

Spot-on, Chris. The other piece of data I often refer to is the SEmG coaching stock list, which is organised in Set order. http://www.semgonline.com/coach/CoachSets.txt 

• RMweb Gold

The Kernow 1361 is imminent so in the meantime here's another cute tank loco for you all.

post-126-0-04866900-1518810399.jpg

On the workbench this weekend is another Hornby 72xx [thanks Andy  :imsohappy: ] that's supposed to be a birthday present from SWMBO. I'm adding the Brassmaster rear etch to this one and Chris Spams kindly punched out these rivets for me. Grilles added and now awaiting a coat of green, Isn't RMweb full of helpful inmates.

post-126-0-58039100-1518810568_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I’m still wondering what Hornby shade of green Knight of the Thistles arrived in. The modified varnish trick might rescue several of my Hornby chalky bluish green locos. : has anybody tried adding a dash of brown to a weathering varnish , although the black tint does look convincing. Excellent photos as always.

Edited by Limpley Stoker

Manufacturers seem to have a lot of trouble with GW green, getting it right.  Its a pity there's not a common pot to paint with so they all look like they came from the same railway company.  Also they can't seem to agree on the correct lining, too big, too orange; somebody must be doing it right surely.  Or close to it!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Is the cab rear not black on GWR locos? I seem to remember reading that on gwr.org. I'd post a link but I'm on my phone and it's a real pain for that

This photo of her sister 5239 shews it to be green.

post-126-0-52863500-1518857765_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Not my field, I know, but we are to some extent at the mercy of the loco's present owners. If they think it should be green it's green, if black, then black it will be. Just like adding nameplates to unnamed locos, as in this case. Closer to my sphere of knowledge, the Bluebell for years ran its E4 tank in Marsh umber - but with its name on the tanks. Since Marsh abolished names at the same time as introducing his umber livery, this was a nonsense. 

• RMweb Gold

Not my field, I know, but we are to some extent at the mercy of the loco's present owners. If they think it should be green it's green, if black, then black it will be. Just like adding nameplates to unnamed locos, as in this case. Closer to my sphere of knowledge, the Bluebell for years ran its E4 tank in Marsh umber - but with its name on the tanks. Since Marsh abolished names at the same time as introducing his umber livery, this was a nonsense.

It's the same as 'modelling a model', someone else's interpretation of what they would like to see.

• RMweb Premium

Your first sentence is the key Ian. If the owners want to paint their loco pink, then pink it shall be. When I was a young impetuous youth (not an old impetuous git) I felt very annoyed at the Lakeside & Haverthwaite painting their Fairburn tank in Caledonian blue - then I realised that I had no say in the matter and the loco's very survival was down to the very same people.

Anyway, Birch Grove pulled me on my first ever Bluebell ride in August 1968 so I do have a soft spot for 473.

• Like 2